Addicted to chocolate - help!!

Options

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Yea me too. Sometimes I sell my body just so I can get money for that one fix. I've been known to not buy groceries for my kids because that snort of cocoa was just more important.
    And here I thought I was the only one that did that. :laugh:
  • realgirlswearpearls
    Options
    I find hot chocolate really helps my chocolate cravings. I buy the options and cadbury highlights flavoured sachets. In fact Im enjoying a hazelnut flavour one right now. They are only 40cals and I think they really help me (well help me from not eating the whole packet of chocolate covered biscuits I used to eat every night with my cup of tea!)
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hand in the air! Chocolate is the one thing I know I can't have around without sticking my hand in for another. I told myself when I started MFP that I'll go to a bakery and get ONE brownie if the craving gets too bad. So far, though, all the fruit I'm eating seems to keep that particular beast at bay.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I friggin love Nutella... Could empty a whole jar in a day... Have definitely done it before... And looking back; ew. I am lazy at heart, so if I grab one piece of chocolate or portion chips in a bowl and walk away to eat it, I'm less likely to go get more :P
  • larcybelle
    Options
    Chocolate addiction is associated with magnesium deficiency.

http://owen.curezone.com/nutrition/magnesiumchocolatecraving.html
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Chocolate addiction is associated with magnesium deficiency.

http://owen.curezone.com/nutrition/magnesiumchocolatecraving.html
    I never knew that. I've been taking 400 mg of magnesium a day for awhile and my relentless craving for chocolate has subsided to the point where I can control myself to just eat a portion. Perhaps it's the magnesium. I only started taking it to help with palpitations and its helped tremendously with that.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been loving chocolate my whole life, and there is very little chance that I have a magnesium deficiency. It could be true for some people, of course.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate. I just eat a lot less of it now.
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Yea me too. Sometimes I sell my body just so I can get money for that one fix. I've been known to not buy groceries for my kids because that snort of cocoa was just more important.
    And here I thought I was the only one that did that. :laugh:

So happy to know there are others like me in the world!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I have 2 tricks for my chocolate love:

1. Hot chocolate- takes longer to drink and you can enjoy it longer. I use skim milk, cocoa powder, and a stevia...ends up being about 150 cals.

2. 1 Tablespoon of dark chocolate chips. It's only about 100 cals.
  • yayak13
    Options
    I can relate to you...A friend gave me some chocolates last week and said just have one a day......is she kidding?
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Have you tried dark chocolate? When I have chocolate cravings, I find that I am satisfied with a smaller amount of dark chocolate than I would be with milk chocolate. Also, I use chocolate/peanut butter protein powder with almond milk for a high protein, low cal chocolate fix.

It's a toughie for sure!
  • jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sounds like carbohydrate addiction!
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Hot chocolate oatmeal:

1 package plain oatmeal (100cal)
    1 package Nestle fat free hot cocoa (20cal)
    1 tbsp baking cocoa (10cal)
    sweetner to taste

Mix add water and microwave and you have hot, filling, chocolatey oatmeal for 130 calories...
    Your welcome
    Bye
  • amymarie2534
    amymarie2534 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in the same boat. I could eat it until I barf.

Although I haven't found "the cure", I've been having this everyday for breakfast and it's helping. It's still no chocolate bar, but it's better than no chocolate at all. (AND I finally started losing weight after eating this for 2 weeks!)

http://www.sensualappealblog.com/chocolate-pb-chia-pudding/

I use honey instead of stevia though.
  • samedame
    Options
    Get yourself some dark chocolate cocoa, it is a very strong chocolate, and it is only 10 calories for one tablespoon. Mix it with some stevia, and eat it plain, just don't inhale! Or, use black beans to make black bean brownies. NO JOKE it is good and nutritious. The intense chocolate will get the fix. OR you can get small squares of dark chocolate and eat one for dessert. Chocolate by itself is NOT fattening, nor is it bad for you. In fact, it is quite healthy. Change up the sugars and the oils, and you are done. Works for me, good luck.
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Try a chocolate flavoured protein bar instead (if that fits in your eating philosophy) ... there are numerous decent ones in the market that will better fit into your macros than a plain old chocolate bar. The other option is to just buy 80% chocolate (almost impossible to binge-eat a block of this) and eat just a few squares everyday. I get my chocolate fix in some form or other every day and I make sure it is guilt-free.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some dark chocolate cocoa, it is a very strong chocolate, and it is only 10 calories for one tablespoon. Mix it with some stevia, and eat it plain, just don't inhale! Or, use black beans to make black bean brownies. NO JOKE it is good and nutritious. The intense chocolate will get the fix. OR you can get small squares of dark chocolate and eat one for dessert. Chocolate by itself is NOT fattening, nor is it bad for you. In fact, it is quite healthy. Change up the sugars and the oils, and you are done. Works for me, good luck.

It has been many years, but when I was on a very tight budget I used to get my chocolate fix by mixing 100% cocoa powder, granulated sugar, and water. Whether I added hot water and milk to the very thick paste and drank it or ate it as it was depended on how bad the craving was, but I think it still worked out to a lot less calories than a chocolate bar even with me using sugar.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat it... I have a liking for chocolate. I eat a 240 calorie 3 Musketeers bar most days. Some days I have two. As long as I stay under my calorie goal, or just meet it, I am happy. :smile: I do not believe in total deprivation as I think over time, for a lot of people, they end up overindulging. Therefore a daily treat (for me) is the way to go. :smile:
  • jillll1
    jillll1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any sugar in over 3 months. But...every once in a while I want a chocolate fix. I make hot cocoa with 8 ounces of unsweetened almond milk (Almond Breeze - Almond Milk (Vanilla/unsweetened - 30 Calories)/ 1 tablespoon unsweetened Hershey cocoa powder (10 calories) and a tablespoon of xylitol (10 calories for 4 grams). So....for 50 calories it's a very chocolatey, filling treat that doesn't mess with my blood sugar. Good luck :smile: