Delicious Side to Go With Eggs Instead of Toast

Options
dayleparks
dayleparks Posts: 9 Member
I am serious about trading an old favorite where I can for something filling, yet delicious. I am noticing I eat most of my calories in the first half of the day, which doesn't leave me a lot to work with at dinner time. Tonight I had enough calories left in the bank to have two fried eggs for dinner, which I love. But it wasn't going to be quite enough to fill me up.

So instead of filling out the plate with toast or turkey sausage, I sauted ½ cup fresh sliced mushrooms with ½ cup diced fresh green pepper, and a little salt and pepper (with a very light coating of non-stick canola oil in the bottom of the pan). When the vegetables were ready (mushrooms browned, peppers still a little crunchy), I put them on the plate and cut up one wedge of Laughing Cow Light Swiss cheese over the veggies (it got soft and melty). It helped fill up my plate, tasted delicious with the eggs, and cost me about 40 calories, which was well worth feeling satisfied.

This is easy and yummy. Not exactly a recipe, but it sure helped me stick to my calorie goal at the end of the day.

Replies

• whisker84
    Options
    Sounds great! I do something very similar, but I add a corn tortilla or two to round out the carbs and make yummy breakfast tacos. A little hot sauce and a dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream (I prefer it to cheese) and it's awesome!
  • Teenalove912
    Teenalove912 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that great tip! I think it's a habit to have the toast with eggs.
  • SierraZulu
    Options
    Love those ideas! I sometimes like to make a tomato salad drizzled with balsamic vinegar, coarse ground pepper and fresh shredded basil too and a bit of parmesan.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    or tuck all of that inside the eggs and call it an omelet. :wink: Don't forget the sriracha, of course! :drinker:
  • dayleparks
    dayleparks Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like the sound of your version. That would taste good for breakfast OR dinner! Great to get more ideas for filling, tasty, healthy meals that hit the calorie target. Thanks for sharing that!
  • Mrsfisher1997
    Mrsfisher1997 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Any kind of fruit! Especially strawberries and cantelope!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Yum
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I love to plop an egg or two on top of a bed of lightly wilted greens.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I like tomatoes, green onion & cheese in my eggs topped with a dollop of greek yogurt. Sometimes I'll also add spinach or some sauteed zucchini. I eat this for dinner all the time. I usually have fresh strawberries for dessert.