Binge Recovery? I don't want to gain back my weight...

Options
I had and emotional eating day. Piece of pizza, bread and butter, chocolate, few cookies, the whole nine yards. I have been good all month, and lost about 8lbs. I need to know if there are any tricks you may have to regain control before I loose it again? Really important to me :(

Replies

• ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I had and emotional eating day. Piece of pizza, bread and butter, chocolate, few cookies, the whole nine yards. I have been good all month, and lost about 8lbs. I need to know if there are any tricks you may have to regain control before I loose it again? Really important to me :(

Know that you are not perfect, not every day will be perfect. We will all screw up from time to time. Focus on how you feel right now. I know I feel regret, guilt, more than a little upset about what I just put in my body. When I think of emotional eating, I think about these feeling and how I don't like feeling that way.

If that doesn't work, then tomorrow is a new day and it will be better. Just don't let one episode get you off track. Work out a little more tomorrow, watch what you eat carefully.

It will be okay.
  • gingersnapx00
    Options
    I am an emotional eater myself and do suffer from binging. What I do is keep trigger foods out of the house so when drama surfaces its not there. Now as far as you going out and go getting it is another story. One thing I do is get of MFP and read success stories and remember why I am here....to try and manage my life in a healthier way and that binging is not the answer. Replace the behavior with another one....such as taking a walk or picking up the phone and calling a friend. Before you know it, it has passed and you can pat yourself on the back you survived it. I would reward yourself from refraining from the binges like buying a new CD or getting your nails done. Keep track of your progress. You will be way more confident in yourself when the next urge comes along and you know from proof that you can do it and you will do it :) Hold on tight.....its a bumpy road but you will survive it. And if you give in, what I have learned that punishing yourself days after only makes the binges worse. Get back on the horse and say it was only one day....its not your whole life. One bad day isnt going to hurt your progress. Remember it took a while to gain that weight, and its gonna take time to learn new better habits.:smile:
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you can remember approximately what you've eaten, log it anyway. Seeing that big red number helps put things into perspective. Say you went 1000 cals over - eat 100 cals under for 10 days, and you know you've put it behind you and you've made up for it!
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to work some treats into your calories every few days. You will be less likely to binge if you aren't completely restricting yourself. It works! :)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

That does not sound like a binge, that sounds like a lunch. Maybe re-evaluate your approach to weight loss?
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    This isn't about food, this is about your emotional coping mechanisms. You have to replace eating with a positive response to negative emotions. Figure out why you choose food, figure out something else that can fill that space.

Writing?
    Reading?
    Pampering yourself with a massage, or manicure?
    Seeing a friend?

You have to look within yourself to find out why you prefer to over eat rather than address you emotions head on.

Good luck.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

That does not sound like a binge, that sounds like a lunch. Maybe re-evaluate your approach to weight loss?

Yeah - I was going to ask, is that all you ate for the day? And is that a current pic in your avatar? If so, I'd recommend talking to a therapist that specializes in food, body, and self esteem issues - especially if you think you're binge eating.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Yeah - I was going to ask, is that all you ate for the day? And is that a current pic in your avatar? If so, I'd recommend talking to a therapist that specializes in food, body, and self esteem issues - especially if you think you're binge eating.

Not to mention your goal weight is under 110 pounds.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Not to mention your goal weight is under 110 pounds.

That and one of her reasons to get in shape is because she thinks she is overweight.
  • It was an emotional binge. I was on my period, drinking, got dumped earlier, was alone. I was hesitant to explain the exact amounts out of shame and was vague about it, but it was much worse then I let on. I ate till it hurt, and still felt like I was craving something and kept eating. I have tried to get back to my normal habits with out starving but have still been taking fatty and sugary comfort foods that don't tackle the craving. Now I feel like I've kinda hit that spot where, oh well, I already ruined it, Cheetos aren't going to make it worse... ya know?
    As for being overweight, I can't explain that. I feel like I should be closer to 110 cause I look like too much at 120. I know it sounds weird but you would have to see. I will post photos in a blog I guess...
    I just get in that mind set of, oh well, I already messed up and I cant feel any worse about it anyways. some of the replies were helpful though. And thank you
  • emelia_
    Options
    I have treats like that on a daily basis! You have to remember that no food is BAD, otherwise yo just end up thinking "I blew it might as well continue,I'll just start over tomorrow." So treat yourself every now and then and realize that you can eat sweet and lose weight just not 2 sleeves of oreos or anything extreme :)
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    There are some red flags in your post that point to a disordered relationship with food. Have you ever thought about talking to someone?
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options

^^^ THIS!!