my aunt is slowly killing herself

Options
rAc_hEl
rAc_hEl Posts: 246 Member
My aunt has got to be the most craziest human being on this earth. She has complained about her weight for years then August 26 th my grandfathers birthday we saw her and she lost weight. We were very proud of her and asked her how she did it. Basically she had stopped eating for the most part and drinking only water and using laxatives. I told her is not healthy and she will get sick or die if she keeps it up. She says I'm jealous. I've lost 84 pounds through eating 1500 calories a day and exercise.
Why would i be jealous? If anything i will help her! I told her this. Now on Facebook she shares she has went from 205 to 177 since my grandfathers birthday on August 26 th2013. I don't know what to do. She looks like a skeleton!!

Replies

• camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    She is losing weight way too fast and that's something to worry, she should have a talk with someone who has an ED because that's clearly what she has.

However, I don't things she looks like a skeleton if she's 177... unless she is unusually tall.

Talk to her but don't "attack her" saying everything she does is wrong, just try tell her she needs to eat a little more, show her TDEE calculators so she understands what she needs to eat minimum everyday I don't know what else
  • rAc_hEl
    rAc_hEl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I guess i mean skeleton because of malnutrition
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    She says I'm jealous.

she probably doesn't want to hear anything from you, then. who knows why she thinks that, she's clearly not being rational. so accept you are dealing with someone who is being rational right now & don't take it personally.

is there anyone in the family whose opinion she might at least listen to?
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You need to raise your concerns with another family member and get her to see her doctor.
    Without knowing your aunt, the most likely thing that will occur is that eventually she'll tire of her diet. When she starts eating normally again her body will put back on all the lost weight plus more.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-16/research-finds-key-to-why-dieters-ultimately-fail/4960536
    All the best,

Ben
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    That is beyond disturbing :-(

I hope she gets help and changes her ways.

My mother was always a bit on the chubby side after hitting puberty. She basically ate lettuce and tomatoes and very little else until she got pregnant with me at age 26. After I was born, she ate very little and consumed crazy amounts of chocolate X Lax. She continued that habit until her mid 50's. I remember when I was a teenager, my mom had a phase of eating only cookies n' cream ice cream whilst standing over the kitchen sink. Sometimes she added a bit of peanut butter. I'm sure she was starving.

Meanwhile, she was a perfect size 8 with visible ribs, etc...despite a big Kim Kardashian rear end and hips - people commented on how healthy/fit my mom seemed compared to me. It didn't even bother me, aside from the obvious worrying about my parent's health!

Now she is 63 with a lot of health problems. So many of them are traced back to her laxative habit and malnutrition. My mom never even looked SKINNY really. She looked fit and great. But that stuff messes up your body in a lot of crazy ways.
  • danger2oneself2
    danger2oneself2 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    have a heart to heart with her or have multiple family members write notes voicing their concern....eating disorders are no joke and are prevalent in my family, and they progress quickly completely manifesting that persons rational thinking. If it doesn't get under control soon I'd suggest looking into some serious residential treatment before she goes over the deep end....best of luck