4pm slump!

Options
Hi guys, I'm new on here, I'm getting married in 9 months and trying to trim down. I have been counting calories and doing quite well but I have one major downfall - the 4pm slump! I am a school teacher, so I'm starving around this time. I usually wait til about 6pm for my fiancee til we have dinner but I'm finding the time between lunch and then v hard. Any ideas of healthy snacks I could have then?

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I always have a snack around that time. Triscuits and either 1/2 oz of cheddar cheese or a laughing cow wedge seem to to the trick for me.

I also have a snack around 2ish. Usually a yogurt or piece of fruit.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Apples & peanut butter always work for me,easy to carry around! Almonds another good one.:smile:
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I agree with bmacneil. You want to have a snack with a little protein to help tide you over until dinner. Maybe some cheese or some nuts. Don't starve yourself waiting for dinner, because then at dinner you'll overeat!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I have a few late afternoon snacks.
    I do almonds, or prunes (or any dried/fresh fruit), or both. Or string cheese.
    They will keep ya going until dinner.
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    Almonds do it for me, as I am always hungry right around that time. Also, if I start to feel hungry again when I am cooking dinner (or just about to cook dinner) I usually have a handful of grapes and a glass of water to tide me over.
  • rj0802
    rj0802 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hit the Gym!!! That's two hours to do some exercise. Have a snack as others have suggested, fill up your water bottle and go. This will fill the time and you will burn calories. That is a tough time of day for me as well as I always found myself drifting towards the pantry around then. Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Stick with it. You can do this!!!!
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    I always have a snack around that time. Triscuits and either 1/2 oz of cheddar cheese or a laughing cow wedge seem to to the trick for me.

I also have a snack around 2ish. Usually a yogurt or piece of fruit.
    I love this snack too, except I use wheat thins or Special K crackers. You could also eat some celery with Peanut Butter or laughing cow cheese, carrot sticks also with laughing cow cheese. String cheese (I love dipping mine into tomato paste) Jello, Fat free pudding, a handful of non-salted nut's, some black or green olives (yummm) banana w/ peanut butter 100 cal. packs of prunes. . . Hope that help's a little :wink:
  • elloradannon
    Options
    I'm a teacher too! I ALWAYS bring a piece of fruit to eat on my commute home or right before I leave. It seems to fill me up so I'm not starving when I get home
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Almonds or Pria Bar. Eat every three hours.
  • prettykonvinced
    prettykonvinced Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this, because I am a school teacher as well and have the same problem. I even slacked off because of it. At 4pm everyday, I will eat something unhealthy. I actually stopped logging in my foods and stopped exercising because of it. Now, I am back and ready to go again. I am going to buy protein bars and fiber one bars. That will satisfy my sweet tooth, as well as my hunger.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I also find this time of day hard. I usually have some hummus and pita chips or special k crackers, granola bar, mini rice cakes, popcorn or some fruit. You should eat something around 100 cals to tide you over this way you wont over eat at dinner
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have that slump at 10am & 3pm..... so everyday I have a snack! Activia at 10 and usually a 100 calorie back or snack at 3pm!! =)
    hope that helps!! =)
    Stac
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    yes you should eat a snack....pack a mini meal a half sandwhich a pita pocket with some protein.....hey even a protein shake.....eating a small healthy meal will also keep your dinner calories down...you should need seconds....I do this with pizza...when I eat it I have a protein shake with it and I don't eat as much..