I suffer from insomnia...exercise/diet advice needed

Options
So I have been experiencing insomnia (if you can call it that) for the past 2 days (it's something I have had before MFP so I doubt its connected to food/exercise). It is very on and off, and usually linked with exams, money worries etc, because I can not switch off at all. It might happen roughly 2 nights every month, depending on circumstances. The rest of the time I usually take a few hours to get to sleep, and because of this I actually go to bed two hours early everyday to anticipate this (which sucks). Though I have had it the past two nights even though I have actually been feeling physically and mentally happy, so I have decided to go see a doctor about it, as I don't want it to develop into a serious on-going problem.

My question is any advice on food/exercise? I have had 7 hours sleep in the past few nights. So do I exercise or not? On monday, the first night of my non-existent sleep, I had a great day at the gym (a running club and some weights, cycle to and from work..) so I don't think it was due to having too much energy.

What I want to know is should I ignore the sleep I have had and just continue to work out as I would have if I had a great sleep? I don't want to continue to exercise if it is going to be unhealthy on this amount of sleep (I can't decide between "manning up" or let my body get the rest it before exercising again).

I have tried extremely hard and successfully not reached for the caffiene/sugar/fatty foods over the past two days (though any advice on food that makes you "sleepy" would be great too, which isn't going to ruin my diet). Any advice before I commit to making dinner for tonight would be greatly appreciated!

I had some great gym sessions lined up for both yesterday and today, and I had amazing intentions at the beginning of the week "to smash it".

Confused about how to move on until I have a decent night's sleep.

Thanks!

Replies

• nataschalouise
    Options
    bump.... before I try to sleep tonight!
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i too suffer from insomnia. i learned you have to turn your mind away from what you are thinking about. now im someone who can drink a monster energy drink then go to sleep but sleep is a mind process for me. i think about something where i have to think about details. i usually pick something from a book im reading and go over the details in my head what it would look like in person.
    even if i wake up at 2 am ( and im WIDE awake ) i have to do this. mind diversion is great.
    in training myself to do this i have never had to depend on any type of medication to help me sleep other than days when my arthritis is bad enough i need some sort of relief.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I remember hearing that one should not retire early in anticipation of not sleeping but go to bed at your usual time or may be a little later to ensure you are truly tired.

Also set a regular bedtime routine to get you into the mood for sleep, say a bath, non stimulating warm drink. noTV or other distractions, keep the bedroom for sleep time. Also it is not recommended to stay in bed if you are definitely not sleeping. Try a warm drink

all the best
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Chamomile tea is very relaxing. If I'm in the middle of planning a conference or have travel coming up for work I find it nearly impossible to get to sleep, I just over think things, so during that time I will take two gravol a half hour before bed. It seems to help, but not everyone gets sleepy with gravol. I'm always worried about being reliant on something to help me sleep so I only take something during a high stress time where sleep is critical.

The other thing I often do is read. If I'm reading a cheesy romance novel I find that when I go to bed I fall asleep thinking about the story line versus the other things in life that are stressing me out.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Keeping on diet and exercise will help your sleeping habits quite a bit. When I'm working out tired a lesser intensity feels just as hard so that's what I work with, any more can cause problems
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Yoga at the end of a sweat session has helped me relax a lot. And maybe meditating for 5 minutes before turning in can help you get centered.
  • nataschalouise
    Options
    i too suffer from insomnia. i learned you have to turn your mind away from what you are thinking about. now im someone who can drink a monster energy drink then go to sleep but sleep is a mind process for me. i think about something where i have to think about details. i usually pick something from a book im reading and go over the details in my head what it would look like in person.
    even if i wake up at 2 am ( and im WIDE awake ) i have to do this. mind diversion is great.
    in training myself to do this i have never had to depend on any type of medication to help me sleep other than days when my arthritis is bad enough i need some sort of relief.

My boyfriend tells me this but its surprisingly hard to do. I find that I over-think, and then I start to panic if it gets late. I count down how much sleep I have left etc. I guess it doesn't help that before hand, I was a university student. I would just say " thats okay, I can skip class and sleep in". Now I have a job, I obviously don't have that option.

I am very good at not taking medicines for most things, so I don't think I want a sleeping tablet. Anything herbal and natural is good to me.

I usually am a good reader. I was actually reading a weight lifting book for women on monday. I might try a romance next time, Lori!

I have tried music but that doesn't work at all. Or the whale sounds.
  • nataschalouise
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

Yoga sounds like a good alternative to my usual workouts for days such as this. I will give that a shot before I go to bed tonight!

Warm milk is a good idea too!
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You should look into circadian rhythm sleep disorder. I suffer from it and have found a few things that help me:
    Turn off all electronics and turn on very low lighting 1-2 hours before bed.
    Spinach contains a lot of tryptophan. I blend 5-6 cups with half a cup of OJ, a little water, and ice.
    I lay in bed and read (by low lighting) while drinking Sleepytime tea.
    I also take plenty of Melatonin and Valerian Root religiously.

I hope you find some relief. :flowerforyou:
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    One more thing.... I also listen to binaural beats/solfeggio frequencies as they can be incredibly soothing.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Read a boring book! I used to be dependent on Lunesta for a few years, then weaned myself off it. I read until I feel sleepy in bed.
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    dont look at clocks!!!!!! it will only increase anxiety on how much time you have to go to sleep and when to wake up.
    and make up a story in your own head if you have to. majority of the time thats what i do. makes me have to concentrate else where than where my brain really wants to be
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Personally dealing with insomnia myself. I am going on my 4th night of around 4 hours of sleep. I have done the whole melatonin, music, ocean sounds, benadryl, routine exercise and routine bedtime stuff and nothing ever helps.

I have noticed that my sleep is the worst the week before my cycle and continues to be bad throughout the cycle.

I am not able to use a lot of stuff that people use for sleep ie: chamomile and lavender products due to allergies.

I would love any tips that I missed that could help.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from chronic insomnia since I was 12 years old. Fibromyalgia made it so I can't sleep properly without medication.

First suggestion? No caffeine after noon. I had to cut it out entirely, even with my medication. But give it time to work out of your system. Also, try keeping a set schedule. Try to get up and go to sleep about the same time. Make sure your sleeping space is comfy. If you're too warm or too cold, you will not fall asleep. Don't watch TV, play games in your iPad or text people or read. Your brain is already overstimulated if you're having insomnia, any of those will just wake it up more. Music is hit or miss. It helps me, but for some people it's too stimulating.

The only other thing I can tell you is don't sweat a couple of nights a month. Even on medication, I have a couple of nights of insomnia. You can always make it up on a rest day.
  • maracuya23
    Options
    Try epsom salts in the bath. They contain magnesium, which can be very relaxing. I was amazed how well they worked for me when nothing else made a difference (including sleeping drugs). Cheap, and they can also do a nice job of soothing sore muscles post-workout.

Good luck- insomnia is not fun, and I hope you find relief soon.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't exercise (and haven't) on that little sleep. Just relax. Your possible lack of focus & micromovements might nudge you towards unsafe movements. It doesn't take much of a misstep to cause a problem. Maybe walk. Best timing for that: 4-5 pm.

Night: turn off all the lights, milk, banana. Carbs, generally, both when you're about to sleep ( ^ tryptophan), and if you haven't slept the night before (^ energy, faster). Most of this stuff has helped:
    http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/ss/slideshow-sleep-foods

Valerian root pills are great for me personally, I don't get a 'hangover' or any other ill effects.

Morning: sunlight on your face first thing, for 20-30 mins at least. Your retinas connect with other parts of your brain that regulate the sleep-wake cycle, and light modulates activity here.

That's also why you should keep lights off (or very low) after a certain time at night.