Am I too fat for kickboxing?

Options
I am seriously overweight and have just started my weight loss journey. (Hooray for 12 pounds so far!) I'm torn between wanting to try new things like kickboxing classes and the fear that I'm too out of shape to try them yet. Should I go for it and potentially not be able to do it or wait until I feel like I can handle a bit more cardio?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should provide some sort of details so the question can be reasonably answered?
  • aura82
    aura82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    how overweight?
    actual kickboxing or cardio kickboxing?
    what have you done so far to lose the 12 pounds?
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    At my fattest I did kickboxing and boot camp. Do the best you can do each time and you will get better and faster and just be able to push much harder. Get after it!
  • 13words
    13words Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I did BodyAttack and a lot of running and skipping when I was around 115kg! I could manage it fine, and it certainly helped get a lot of weight off! Go for it! Find something you enjoy, and stick with it :)
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Questions

1. Can you move your body forward and backward, left and right?
    2. Can you propel your feet forward violently?
    3. Are there hot chicks in the class you are considering?
    4. Do you like hot chicks?
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I started slow (walking, slow run, swimming) when i was first trying to lose weight at beginning of last year. As I lost, I got faster-- with my walking and running and swimming. Once I lost about 40lbs or so- I added in some new stuff, bootcamps and my NEW favorite - cardio-kickbox. I've been doing it for about 6-7 months now and I love it-- but it may have been hard at my heavier weight. However, there are people of all shapes and sizes in the class-- and we all just do what we can! It's a really good burn-- When I really push and go full on for the hour, I burn about 800 calories!!
    So- without knowing exactly how 'heavy' you are... it's hard to say. But- bottom line is- get out and do something! Try lots of things to find what you like. I found I dont really like the bootcamps as much- but I LOVE the kickboxing! I will do it forever! If they have them in your area- try something like a Groupon or Living Social deal-- great way to try out something new and not spend a fortune. And ya know what... no one looks down on you for being out of shape or whatever (at least in my experience).... you're there and doing something about it- and that's what matters! Go for it!!!
  • Mama530
    Mama530 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I lost weight exactly like BUZZ did. Go talk to the trainer, I say go for it! I love, love kickboxing.
  • nu2012
    nu2012 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I do kickboxing and I have seen people of all shapes and sizes, and at different fitness levels there. That's why I feel you can't be too fat for kickboxing. The only difficulty can be your fitness level, which improves only when it's challenged. Do the best you can and be regular and you will keep getting better. My fitness level was very low when I started, but it's improving and I do my best and I like the class, that's what is important, right?

Also, before deciding, why not just go ahead and try a class? As far as I know, most of the kickboxing institutes or classes offer one free trial class. Try it and then decide.
  • akathatoneguy
    akathatoneguy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    2001 K-1 World Grand Prix Champion Mark Hunt says no, you're not too fat. :-)

mark-hunt-2004-k1-champion-a-friend.jpg
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Questions

lol!!! Love it!!
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    I was over 250 lbs when I started kickboxing. You don't have to do all the moves if some are too hard for you -- for example, the jumps. Just keep moving, do what you can, and enjoy!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I tried to do kickboxing class when I was super overweight (190lbs for my frame at 5 foot 6). my cardio was awful, although I could usually handle zumba.

I couldn't keep up. Simply stated, my frantic attempt to jump around looked like a marshmellow being flicked around intermittently.

I'd honestly suggest, if you haven't done anything like this before that you buy a video or try to keep up with some on youtube if they have any there. If you find you are still confident, go ahead and jump right in. Just my own experience helps me understand why you are even asking!
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Questions

This made me LOL :laugh:

But in all seriousness, this is how my list o' questions would go -

1. Do you want to do kickboxing?

And if the answer is yes, that's all you need. No one starts off an expert at anything. If there are things you can't do because of your fitness level or size, then scale it down to something else. Then keep working at it until you can do them.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I do kickboxing and I have seen people of all shapes and sizes, and at different fitness levels there. That's why I feel you can't be too fat for kickboxing. The only difficulty can be your fitness level, which improves only when it's challenged. Do the best you can and be regular and you will keep getting better. My fitness level was very low when I started, but it's improving and I do my best and I like the class, that's what is important, right?

Also, before deciding, why not just go ahead and try a class? As far as I know, most of the kickboxing institutes or classes offer one free trial class. Try it and then decide.
    This! I love kickboxing. I waited until I was fitter to start and now I wish I had started earlier. It gives you a fantastic burn and it is a total blast and a great stress reliever.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You don't know what you are capable of until you try ... I was in an auto accident 16 months ago. 12 months ago, I tried to do a high impact cardio class (R.I.P.P.E.D.) and it was too stressful on my body. I scaled back to aqua exercise classes, spin classes (no impact) and other similar no impact cardio. I graduated to elliptical and treadmill. About six weeks ago I tried a cardio kick boxing class and loved it!! Best of all, I felt no ill effects from the high impact nature and intensity of the class. Couldn't have done that 12 months ago ...

You don't give much detail about your physical status. If you physically feel up to it and have been cleared by your doctor for high intensity exercise, give it a try and do as much as you can. Each workout gets easier as you increase your endurance and fitness level. All in all, tough workouts will get you fit faster than leisurely strolls.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Are you too fat for kickboxing? No.

I think the question you want to ask is more like "am I strong enough to kickbox while carrying this much fat?" And the answer is... maybe, maybe not. Can't find out about *your* muscles on the internet, unless you're reading your own blog.

Which brings us to:
    Should I go for it and potentially not be able to do it or wait until I feel like I can handle a bit more cardio?
    The second option is pointless until you try the first option. The first option will tell you how much more cardio, if any, you are waiting for. If you're uncomfortable with just going, then follow the standard advice: consult your physician before starting a new fitness program.

And for my own protection, since I am not a fitness or health professional, I will suggest the last plan: consult your doctor, before going to one class to find out how it feels for you.
  • iknowsheetrock
    iknowsheetrock Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support (to the supportive ones) and the laughs to the others. I guess all I needed was some encouragement - - I'm going to give it a shot!
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT!!!!