When Goal Achieved, how long to change new weight in MFP

Options
Let me clarify. For those who have achieved a level of satisfaction with their 'new weight. and maintained it, have any of you changed your profile's permanent weight to your new weight? In other words, do any of you post as the 'new you'?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I update my weight all the time so I get correct calorie calculations. But I haven't 'started over' and put my current weight and goal weight as the same.

I do, however, in my non-virtual world, consider this to be my permanent weight. If I lost or gained now, I would think of it from 150 and not from 188.
  • jerendeb
    jerendeb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I, for example lost 35 pounds last year down to 170. But lapsed up to 196 this year. Since I kept my original weight it looks like I lost 23 pounds to date. Partly true, although I lost that twice now. My goal weight isn't 170 anymore (yet), it's 180. When I was 18 I was 185. That's my 'secret' goal top end.
  • cluthab
    cluthab Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

I've just reached my desired weight and still thinking about what to do re maintenance, also my wife is still dieting so I want to support her. We're on the 5:2 so I'll experiment with the '5' days.
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been pondering changing my goal as well. Officially, its 110, as that's what I was before I gained all my weight (ugh). However, I'm getting older, like my food, and I'm wondering if 130 or even 140 might be more realistic. (I'm 5'6, 30m years old) Then some days settling that high seems defeatist. Not sure what to do.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I've been pondering changing my goal as well. Officially, its 110, as that's what I was before I gained all my weight (ugh). However, I'm getting older, like my food, and I'm wondering if 130 or even 140 might be more realistic. (I'm 5'6, 30m years old) Then some days settling that high seems defeatist. Not sure what to do.

Take it one goal at a time. When you get to a Healthy Weight Range, re-*kitten*. My original goal set by another on line calculator was 139 (I am 5'8" and 54 years old now) but after I hit that goal and started maintenance, another 11 pounds came off without really trying that hard, just persistence. So 128 is in the middle of my healthy weight range set by a doctor (125 to 135) ... to be honest, if it was 145 and I felt this great, I would maintain at 145. But I feel great, so it is worth the "persistence" to maintain. Don't feel like I am missing a thing.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I have just left it as is for now. Kindof my badge of honor. Been there, done that kindof credibility. And I like seeing the little running man falling off the right side of my weight scale.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

When I started this, I was 188, but that was a quite fast rise up from 172, which is at the top of the 'healthy BMI' for me. I set my goal for 165, hoping for 170. I got close to 170 easily and set it for 160, figuring I never make it. The NIH says I should be 152, and I KNEW I'd never make that. When I got to 162 I knew I could, so I set for 155. Then I went 5 pounds under that, which is where I am now. I reset my goal to that so I wouldn't be in the negative on my ticker.

This is a good weight for me and where I was 23 years ago when I graduated from college. But I am actually still changing, even though I've upped my calories. I'm exercising more and losing inches. I also expect I'll lose some more weight.

Anyway . . . yes goals change. That's not a bad thing.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Well I deleted my account and started over so if/when I have a ticker showing, it's only from maintenance high to maintenance low range. I have an upper limit of 65kg and returned here at 64kg realising I needed to keep myself in check. I would happily go down to 58kg but at the moment keep gaining and losing the same 1kg.

Originally I lost about 16kg.
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support and help. A lot of people tell me I was too thin (yes, once upon a time I was TOO THIN) at 110, and that a 30 year old shouldn't weight what she did at 20. SO I'm kind of wondering how much gain I should tolerate and embrace, and how much I should lose. A year ago, I thought of 140 as fat, no offense to anyone, but that seems like a more reasonable "grown up weight" to me now than 110.....I just hope I get less of a belly!
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support and help. A lot of people tell me I was too thin (yes, once upon a time I was TOO THIN) at 110, and that a 30 year old shouldn't weight what she did at 20. SO I'm kind of wondering how much gain I should tolerate and embrace, and how much I should lose. A year ago, I thought of 140 as fat, no offense to anyone, but that seems like a more reasonable "grown up weight" to me now than 110.....I just hope I get less of a belly!

With age the body does change. Also with proper exercise and diet (specifically weight training) your body will change. You could be a skinny fat at 120, skinny but soft, or you could be toned and healthy at 135, thinner and better looking.
  • cindirookbanman
    cindirookbanman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hear hear!

This is a fantastic answer

With age the body does change. Also with proper exercise and diet (specifically weight training) your body will change. You could be a skinny fat at 120, skinny but soft, or you could be toned and healthy at 135, thinner and better looking.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify. For those who have achieved a level of satisfaction with their 'new weight. and maintained it, have any of you changed your profile's permanent weight to your new weight? In other words, do any of you post as the 'new you'?

Interesting idea. I might do that eventually but for now I'm still enjoying patting myself on the back when I look at my weight loss ticker. :laugh: