1200...!?

Options
I always thought 1200 cals was the magic number - relatively easy to stick to for weight loss.
As a new member, and just starting to very closely record my food intake on myfitnesspal i've realised...
Its near impossible!!!!!!!!!
On a rest day when I dont exercise (maybe twice a week) ill NEVER stick within the 1200 the program is recommending...
and im a healthy eater!!

Im 173cm (5ft 8) and have a goal weight of 60 kg (132 pounds).
Currently 64kg, 141 pounds.
So really only after a small loss.

Am I being unrealistic with my goal weight, or not strict enough on my food intake...?????

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You haven't got that much to lose!

I would concentrate on healthy eating, and exercising!!!

1200 calories is way too little, and you end up starving your body and not losing ANYTHING!
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Oh no...Get ready for all the advise on the 1200...
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and weight as you. Agree 100% on 1,200 being way too little on rest days.

Your goal weight is realistic. 1,200 calories is unrealistic. Have you tried the TDEE - 20% method instead. This gives you a static daily calorie allowance. Mine's around 1,500.

I don't stick to it... but that's another matter...
  • chlo_85
    Options
    Mmm yes, i'm not in the 'starving' category thats for sure. I need food, and 1200 wont provide enough of it... im realistic about that at least :-)
  • chlo_85
    Options
    TDEE ... I've never heard of that actually! Not much of a dieter... but I just googled it, and it seems reasonable...
    So for me, about 1700 - 340... =1360 on a rest day?
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I did the 1200/1300 thing this time last year when I was in crazy wedding mode. Definitely not worth all the fuss!
  • Hildy_J
    Options
    Hmmm. TDEE of 1,700 seems a bit low? Mine is 1,850. DId you put 'sedentary' in for activity level. You've deducted 20% - with only a little to lose -10% is perhaps better?

This post is probably making no sense to you as I have no idea which calculator you used but this is the one I did: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Using that one you don't eat back exercise calories.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Remember the last 5/10 pounds is very hard to lose - so open your diary. Do you really want advice w/o allowing us to see what you are eating? A huge plate of healthy greens with lean protein is a wonderful meal yet probably only 200 calories-so yes, if u are not eating junk, 1200 calories is PLENTY.
    Are you a person who has never been overweight? At 5'8" and 142 , yes 132 is realistic.

If you have never been obese, never been overweight-then perhaps, you can be very happy on 1200 healthy calories a day ( and splurge for every special occasion).

Do you exercise? What was your starting weight? How much have you already lost or have you been 142 for a # of years?
  • Hildy_J
    Options
    Do you exercise? What was your starting weight? What is your Current Weight? How tall r u?

Info is in original post.
  • chlo_85
    Options
    I think about 1700 is what myfitnesspal calc did for me, but i DO work in an office all day, so sedentary for a large part of the day is correct... despite being pretty fit and exercising outside these times, you cant help that 8 hours or so on your butt!

As for the 1200 is possible with protein and salad for every meal... im wise enough not to bother even considering something I cant stick with forever... and I know I wont stick to tha !. Ive never 'struggled' with my weight, and I think this is part of the reason... being realistic about what my willpower is capable of :-)
  • Hildy_J
    Options
    Ive never 'struggled' with my weight, and I think this is part of the reason... being realistic about what my willpower is capable of :-)

I guess that's about having the self confidence and inner balance to trust your own judgments. But not everyone is blessed with the upbringing that gives you that stability. People are survivors and over-eating is a coping mechanism.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat 1200 calories. What is your setting for .5 lb a week? Eat between the 1200 calories and the .5 lb loss a week and see how that works out for you. (With your exercise calories.)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Here ya go.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I always thought 1200 cals was the magic number - relatively easy to stick to for weight loss.
    As a new member, and just starting to very closely record my food intake on myfitnesspal i've realised...
    Its near impossible!!!!!!!!!
    On a rest day when I dont exercise (maybe twice a week) ill NEVER stick within the 1200 the program is recommending...
    and im a healthy eater!!

Im 173cm (5ft 8) and have a goal weight of 60 kg (132 pounds).
    Currently 64kg, 141 pounds.
    So really only after a small loss.

Am I being unrealistic with my goal weight, or not strict enough on my food intake...?????
    I'm your height, and went from about your current weight to 135lbs eating 1800 cals a day. 1200 is too low for most of us, and as you've said, it's hard to stick to.

I calculated my goals through the info and tools in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 It's a lot to read through, but worth it, and I've had my absolute best success since I started eating the right amount of cals. No being hungry, no agonizing about going over.

Either change your settings with a goal to lose .5 or 1lb a week at the most, and eat back your exercise cals, or use the tools to calculate BMR and TDEE and eat in between those numbers. With less than 10lbs to lose, you would probably take 15% off your TDEE and make that your daily goal. It really simplified the whole process for me, and it works great - plus it's something I can stick to for life.

Good luck!
  • chlo_85
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for your very sensible and encouraging advice :-) I have read through the articles and used the calculators some of you recommended, and I think im on track!