First Mile!

Options
RoyBeck
RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
Ok don't laugh all you seasoned runners. Today I ran my first mile on a treadmill. Around 13 minutes. I've not ran since school really but since I'm 42lbs down at present I've been doing a few interval runs whilst doing my normal incline walking.

Went for it today and ran 1.6km (1 mike) and felt great.

On a side note should I aim to repeat this a few times before increasing my distance? My legs feel a bit jelly so probably not ready for longer yet lol!

Cheers.

Replies

• Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Well done!

Yes, keep it up, but I wouldn't recommend doing so every day.

Run on :smile:
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Every runner started where you are now. Great job running a mile! Let your body decide what to do. I believe most runners would advise building up a base before you increase your distance/pace. Get comfortable running that mile regularly and then increase slowly. Welcome to the club!!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    On a side note should I aim to repeat this a few times before increasing my distance? My legs feel a bit jelly so probably not ready for longer yet lol!

I think the general rule is to only increase it 10% per week at the most. That's speed and/or distance. Just gradually get your body adjusted to doing this and it will get easier and easier.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! The first mile is always the hardest. Keep up the great work and JUST KEEP RUNNING!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I would never laugh! It's a great achievement. When I first started running, two years ago, I couldn't get to the end of the block from the midway point. My side started hurting, I was out of breath...and I was TICKED. So the next day, and over the subsequent weeks, I set mini goals until I was up to a mile, two miles, three miles...5ks, 10ks, 1/2 marathons and in October, my first full.

No runner will deny it started with the first mile! You got this! Awesome job!
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    That's terrific! Have you considered Couch to 5K? You're obviously past the first segments of the program, but it is a great way to increase to over three miles in a few weeks, without making yourself miserable (like I used to do) or overdoing it with your muscles, if they're not used to running long distances.

Good for you!
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Awesome! So now that you know your body will do it and not fall over dead, perhaps step back an inch or two and do the c25k or something; train up to and beyond that distance the right way as opposed to just pushing yourself through the wall. As someone who's been where you're at, believe me...it's so much easier and feels so much better to start a bit smaller and build up.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options

I think the general rule is to only increase it 10% per week at the most. That's speed and/or distance. Just gradually get your body adjusted to doing this and it will get easier and easier.

+1
  • FitToBeKim
    FitToBeKim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congratulations ! That is awesome ! Way to go !
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Awesome accomplishment!! Ease into it and you'll be running farther and farther in no time! Just watch out for shin splints and other issues that come with pushing your body beyond its limitations.
  • Sara_Jane_78
    Options
    Way to go!!! Listen no laughing here....I'm just starting out and am WALKING a mile a day and seriously think I'm doing FANTASTIC!!! Keep up the good work! Best wishes :)
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

This is a very good general rule. I also generally tell people they don't need to apply it until they're running more than 3 miles at a time, or more than 10 miles in a week.

I think when you're first starting to run, that having that "break out" run is very important. If you artificially limit your runs to 1.1 miles, then 1.2, then 1.3, you'll miss that great feeling when you "break out" and realize you can go 2 or 3 miles without stopping.

As you REALLY start to add on the miles, it's very important to keep the "10% rule" in the back of your mind. I didn't heed it when I was a beginning runner, and ended up with a painful knee injury after piling on 4 back-to-back 5 mile runs in one week.

In that same vein: DO SOME CORE/STRENGTH WORK. strong muscles and tendons help you keep your form and prevent injuries. Add a day of heavy lifting to your routine if you can. Squats, deadlifts, etc.

Congrats on your first mile... it really is just the "first step!" Sign up for a race. You'll love the experience.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. The feeling I get when running is immense. I wasn't out of breath after the mile which I was pleased about. Ill aim for another mile tomorrow and maybe post when I do a 2 mile! :)
  • floppyghost
    Options
    Why would anyone laugh ? We've all been there. One mile is great ! Yeah, I'd recommend repeating it 2-3 times ideally with a pause-day between before continuing to gradually increase the distance. Be patient, and don't ramp it up too quickly, because doing so has a higher risk of injuries.

A year ago, when I started running (after 2 inactive decades) I ran for one minute, then walked for one minute, then ran for one minute again -- I repeated this 5 times.

Today I can run a half-marathon continously (though at a modest pace), there's no secret to it, just patience. Or as my running-coach said to me once: Pick one foot up, put it down, if you're not there yet, repeat.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    This is a very good general rule. I also generally tell people they don't need to apply it until they're running more than 3 miles at a time, or more than 10 miles in a week.

I think when you're first starting to run, that having that "break out" run is very important. If you artificially limit your runs to 1.1 miles, then 1.2, then 1.3, you'll miss that great feeling when you "break out" and realize you can go 2 or 3 miles without stopping.

As you REALLY start to add on the miles, it's very important to keep the "10% rule" in the back of your mind. I didn't heed it when I was a beginning runner, and ended up with a painful knee injury after piling on 4 back-to-back 5 mile runs in one week.

In that same vein: DO SOME CORE/STRENGTH WORK. strong muscles and tendons help you keep your form and prevent injuries. Add a day of heavy lifting to your routine if you can. Squats, deadlifts, etc.

Congrats on your first mile... it really is just the "first step!" Sign up for a race. You'll love the experience.
    ^^^ Yes! All of this!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Well done. I ddi my first mile yesterday too and its an amazing achievement.
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    As someone who is just beginning the c25k, I am happy for you! That is fantastic! Hoping to say the same soon!
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Wow, way to go! Must feel great :)
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Yeah it was. Well done to you on your first mile too. Gonna go again tomorrow.

Interesting to run a minute then walk one minute will do that too.
  • heather_hearts_travel
    Options
    As one who can not yet make it to the end of her street (but I'm trying - it's a long street!), I applaud you! I hope to catch up to you soon! Thanks for letting us newbies know it can be done, and thanks to all the veterans for the encouragement that it starts with one. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!