Do you eat the calories recommended by MFP?

Options
Do you stick to the calorie intake recommended by MFP?

I'm not entirely sure if I should be sedentary or lightly active (I have a desk job, but walk the dog 30-45mins a day and attend boxercise once a week).

Last week I had it set as lightly active (with the aim of losing 1.5lbs a week), which gave me 1650 calories. I stayed the same. This week I've changed it to sedentary which gives me 1470. Weigh in is on Monday but I feel hungrier this week, I'm not sure if it's just in my head.

Do you think these calorie intake suggestions are right?

I am 27yrs old, currently weigh 236lbs :embarassed:

Replies

• jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you are doing it purely through MFP.

Put sedentary as you have a desk job, and log the exercise in your diary, you then eat the exercise calories!

Hope this helps!

J
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I put seditary because I work in an office, and I keep my calories at 1200 a day. I have lost 4lbs so far this week its the most weight I have lost in a week thus far.
  • Lyns180
    Lyns180 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks Joe, never thought of that!! D'oh!!

Also, do you think it matters if you eat them back that day, or can it be over the course of the week?
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    I really can't eat as many calories as they're suggesting on here. I could if I didn't workout, but I burn 500+ calories a day and they want me to eat those back along with the rest o_O
    I have no idea how to get that much food in. I even eat a couple of chocolate bars sometimes just to up the calories.
    Still under :grumble:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks Joe, never thought of that!! D'oh!!

Also, do you think it matters if you eat them back that day, or can it be over the course of the week?

When I followed the MFP method I would eat some of my calories on that day most of the time...other times as long as my "week" was under the net goal I was happy...
  • Lyns180
    Options
    Good theory, thanks Stephanie :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    No...what I did was go to the Scooby workshop online and used the calorie calculator there...then I subtract 500 calories from my total (since they include your exercise for daily calories) That's how I came up with my daily 1600 calories..then I exercise and eat my calories back. So, most days I'm eating 2100 calories and I am losing slow and steady. so much better than starving at 1200 calories and feeling so deprived that I fail.
  • coreyiscrazyful
    Options
    Don't eat all of the calories if you aren't hungry, listen to your body and then decide if you want to eat all the calories they are recoomending
  • coreyiscrazyful
    Options
    If you are hungry, eat. Before you eat drink 8oz of water, then eat a healthy snack it wont kill you, simply boost your metabolism (:
  • cchuky54
    cchuky54 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It isn't all about the calories. Eat what they recommend, but a chocolate bar just to meet their quota doesn't help you. You need to look at the daily intake of sugar, carbs, etc also and get those under control also. If you make the daily quota of calories and it is all in chocolate you will be extremely high in sugars and that will work against you.
  • Lyns180
    Options
    Scooby site gives me the following:

BMR - 1846
    TDEE - 2538
    Daily Calories Based on Goal - 2030

So should I be taking 500 off the 2030 and eating 1530 calories a day plus any calories gained through exercise?? If so, this is 60 calories more than what MFP is currently saying so pretty much the same?

Sorry to be a pain, this is all just a bit confusing, there are so many recommendations and calculators etc.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

I'm not entirely sure if I should be sedentary or lightly active (I have a desk job, but walk the dog 30-45mins a day and attend boxercise once a week).

Last week I had it set as lightly active (with the aim of losing 1.5lbs a week), which gave me 1650 calories. I stayed the same. This week I've changed it to sedentary which gives me 1470. Weigh in is on Monday but I feel hungrier this week, I'm not sure if it's just in my head.

You should only use sedentary if you pretty much just sit in front of the TV all day. With your exercise, you are definitely lightly active.

You aren't giving it enough time; one week is just not long enough to see if something works for you. I can gain 1.5lb overnight due to water retention, high sodium the day before, TOM, etc.

Set it back to lightly active and give it at least a month. The other option is to set it as sedentary and log and eat back your exercise cals, like someone else said. However, the calorie estimation in MFP can be high, so I'd recommend getting yourself a heart rate monitor for a more accurate calorie burn.

And yes, if you do it that way, you should eat back your exercise cals. It doesn't matter what day(s) you eat them, but your aim should be to get as close to 0 calories remaining by the end of the week. MFP already factors in a deficit, and making that too aggressive by not eating your exercise cals will not help you in the long run.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Here is another thread discussing this same thing:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1060891-are-you-suppose-to-eat-back-the-calories-you-burn

Best of luck!
  • dianesheart88
    dianesheart88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    No...what I did was go to the Scooby workshop online and used the calorie calculator there...then I subtract 500 calories from my total (since they include your exercise for daily calories) That's how I came up with my daily 1600 calories..then I exercise and eat my calories back. So, most days I'm eating 2100 calories and I am losing slow and steady. so much better than starving at 1200 calories and feeling so deprived that I fail.

I also use this site which was recommended by many. I am glad I read this however, because I haven't subtracted the 500.... thanks for the insight. I also recommend using this site and just changing the numbers in MFP site. Good luck to you!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It isn't all about the calories. Eat what they recommend, but a chocolate bar just to meet their quota doesn't help you. You need to look at the daily intake of sugar, carbs, etc also and get those under control also. If you make the daily quota of calories and it is all in chocolate you will be extremely high in sugars and that will work against you.

Having a treat does not work against you, and if you want a chocolate bar and have calories to spare, why not.

OP, if you're having problems eating that many calories, be sure to assess what you are eating. Many people label foods "bad" and then avoid them and only eat leafy greens and very low cal diet items. There's nothing wrong with eating your leafy greens, but you can add calories by skipping low fat milk and cheese and eating full fat instead. Or add a serving of nuts or nut butter. Or make your own vinaigrette salad dressing and use olive oil in it. Add an avocado to foods, etc.

If you are doing the TDEE/Scooby method, you would eat 2000 calories every day, do not log exercise, do not eat exercise calories back. You should lose at that calorie level.

If you decide to do MFP, you should eat at least 1500 calories every day, plus you log your exercise calories and you eat them back.

Those two methods should be fairly similar in your calorie level. (Some people are telling you to choose sedentary and log all exercise, but I would find it annoying to log walking the dog every day, so personally, I'd set it at lightly active and then just log anything above your day to day stuff.)

I personally don't like eating all my calories on days that I exercise, so I do the TDEE method and eat the same amount every day. Also keep in mind that both methods use equations that are based on averages. You need to pick a calorie intake, be consistant in logging and hitting your calorie goal for a month and then assess your weight loss. If you aren't losing the amount of weight that the equation says you should be losing, try upping or lowering your calories by 100 calories or so and give it another month.

The best way to find out what works for you is to accurately log and see what happens. It's an annoying process, but everything else is a guess (and what works for other people may not work for you).
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I have found the calories logged on here are a bit high for exercise so I go with a HRM to get an exact number or cross reference with another exercise calculator and estimate the two then log that total. That sounds like an accurate number at 1530 and then eating back half of your exercise calories and you can go by a weekly total. 10,710 per week and then add in half of your exercise calories and see if that works for you. One thing to remember though is that when you change something it is best to give it a good 2 weeks to see if it is making a difference because if you change it 1 week after starting that is not really enough time to see if it is working or not. That is just what I would do anyway if it was me. Best of luck to you!
  • Lyns180
    Options
    Thanks Lauren.

I know it's going to take time to see results and work out what is right for me and my body, guess I just wanted to check that I wasn't doing something wrong.

For this week I'll keep it as sedentary and eat back my exercise calories, if this works then I'll continue doing it this way. If it doesn't then who knows, maybe set it to lightly active and stick to those calories not including any gained from exercise.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

You know what I'd do? set a goal at 1500 cals a day and see where it gets you. :) I think the old weight watchers diets used to start on 1800, and then after a while move you down to 1500. I don't remember a diet of my youth asking me to go below 1500. :)
  • lawmaria
    lawmaria Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way, im always confused as to how many cals a day and i try not to use the cals earned by exercise. im thinking that is why im not losing at least 2lbs a week. i put my cals to 1400 (was at 1600-T25 suggestion) and my cals from exercise are about 500 to 600 with T25. So from reading these comments, I should also eat the cals i earned from working out? So that would be about 2000 a day worth of food? Any suggestions.
  • Lyns180
    Options
    Thanks all, your advice is much appreciated :) Maybe I'll give the 1470 plus exercise calories a go until the end of the month and see how that goes and then decide what to do from there depending on results.