Hi

Options
I'm a newbie would love some friends on here to exchange weight loss tips . Have been struggling with my weight for a long time now . Have a under active thyroid which doesn't help and the dc just says that I'm over weight as I eat to much have managed to reduce my intake down to 850cal and still no weight loss. A friend if mine recommended a resting met test which has really shocked me as the operator has advised me that my rest rate is 1700 cal and I am consuming far too little cals for my height and weight. Really confused if anyone can help I would be grateful xx

Replies

• lfdunne
    Options
    I just joined 2 weeks ago as well with a similar thyroid condition. I was always intimidated by the idea of dieting because I felt that it would be too difficult to stick to if I reduced my calorie intake so significantly. I really like food!

This is my first diet, but I am looking at it as a lifestyle change - something that I want to sustain. I would like to lose 15 - 20 lbs. My goal is to lose about .5 lbs a week, allowing me to eat about 1,600 - 1,700 calories a day depending on my exercise for the day. Most days I consume less (around 1,450-1,500 or so) - but since my goal is 1,600 there is no pressure. I figure it took me a while to gain the weight - I just need to be patient as I slowly lose it.

Adding activity to the mix helps as well - On those weekends that I know I am going out to dinner with friends I make sure to walk briskly around the neighborhood for 20 - 30 minutes - It gives me about 120 more calories that I can add to my meal if I choose!

I can't imagine that 850 calories is giving you the energy you need to get through the day. Lowering your calories too much can send you body into starvation mode and stop weight loss all together. I found a link below that backs this up if you would like to check it out!

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/fewer-calories-stalls-metabolism.aspx
    Here is a quote I like from the link above -
    "Remember that calories are not your enemy. They are a vital part of a healthy and energetic life. "Your body needs a certain amount of calories just to sustain proper function," says Lummus. This is why fad diets that force you to cut out too many calories leave you feeling lethargic, shaky, and ready to give up."

All that said - I am just starting out and looking for tips as well. :) Good luck with the weight loss & feel free to email for support!
  • lfdunne
    Options
    To add one more thing - I feel like this website is a great learning tool. It is incredibly helpful to see and understand how many calories are in your everyday foods, as well as understand the size of an actual portion. Also - to see what daily walking does for your allowed calorie intake was a huge eye opener!