Recipe For Skinny Red Velvet Cupcakes

elyse0210
elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/skinny-red-velvet-cupcakes.html

I made these last weekend for my grandmother's bday and they came out delicious. Only 141 calories per cupcake which inclues the frosting. I think they are so much better than a normal red velvet cupcake which can be over 400 calories. Enjoy!

Replies

• gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    mmmmmm - thank you. They're our favorite
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    These sound SO delicious! But how are they only 141 calories with a cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of butter (full-fat butter?!)???? I don't see how that works out! I would love to make these for Valentine's Day (yes, I know, long way away), but I'm scared of baking with full-fat butter and a whole cup of sugar!
  • nautiluver
    nautiluver Posts: 23 Member
    bump
  • emarcia28
    emarcia28 Posts: 140 Member
    bump!! yummie..TY!
  • Helinah26
    Helinah26 Posts: 288
    thanks there my absolute favorite :D
  • Helinah26
    Helinah26 Posts: 288
    thanks there my absolute favorite :D
  • Tasha1476
    Tasha1476 Posts: 220
    These sound SO delicious! But how are they only 141 calories with a cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of butter (full-fat butter?!)???? I don't see how that works out! I would love to make these for Valentine's Day (yes, I know, long way away), but I'm scared of baking with full-fat butter and a whole cup of sugar!

Im going to try these this week, but Im going to attempt switching out full fat butter -- with smart balance or something similar, and Im trying to decide how to deal with the sugar... Any ideas?
  • hkuiuc99
    hkuiuc99 Posts: 79 Member
    YUM! I can't wait to try those! And I even saw a link for carrot cake too! Thanks!!
  • agdeierl

Im going to try these this week, but Im going to attempt switching out full fat butter -- with smart balance or something similar, and Im trying to decide how to deal with the sugar... Any ideas?

The only thing is oftentimes with baking, smart balance (which is obviously not butter at all) behaves differently, sometimes in a bad way, so I am scared to bake with that as well. And I HATE sugar substitutes and am convinced they are not a good idea to use a lot, so...hard to say. I guess you could try just decreasing the amount of sugar. It frustrates a little bit me that calories and ww points are the only stats included...makes me wonder if the sugar count will cancel out the low calorie-ness of it.
  • These sound SO delicious! But how are they only 141 calories with a cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of butter (full-fat butter?!)???? I don't see how that works out! I would love to make these for Valentine's Day (yes, I know, long way away), but I'm scared of baking with full-fat butter and a whole cup of sugar!

You have to remember, that is all divided into 26 cupcakes.

Sounds delish!
  • You could try Splenda. I have replaced all my sugar with Splenda and no one can tell the difference
  • agdeierl

You have to remember, that is all divided into 26 cupcakes.

Sounds delish!

I know, but it still sounds low to me. I was looking at some other recipes similar to this with about the same amount of butter and sugar and it was much higher...
  • elyse0210
    I'm not sure why they are only 141 calories since I got the recipe from someone's website. I did use a full cup of sugar and real butter, but like someone said it was divided into several cupcakes and the cupcakes did come out quite small when I made them. I'm sure you could tweek the recipe if you are concerned about the amount of sugar and butter that is used.
  • elyse0210
    Use Splenda perhaps?
  • agdeierl
    Use Splenda perhaps?

I detest sugar substitutes, but thanks anyway! I guess it's not a problem as is, I believe you, especially if you say they come out small. But it'll be hard for me to eat only one, especially if they're small! :ohwell:
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    I printed the recipe out from the website, then entered all the ingredients into the recipe calculator here at MFP. It calculates calories at 155 each.....so its close! Remember though, they should make 26 servings so don't overfill the cups or they will be more calories per cupcake! :)

Thanks for sharing this recipe....can't wait to try it! YUM!
  • Tasha1476
    Tasha1476 Posts: 220

The only thing is oftentimes with baking, smart balance (which is obviously not butter at all) behaves differently, sometimes in a bad way, so I am scared to bake with that as well. And I HATE sugar substitutes and am convinced they are not a good idea to use a lot, so...hard to say. I guess you could try just decreasing the amount of sugar. It frustrates a little bit me that calories and ww points are the only stats included...makes me wonder if the sugar count will cancel out the low calorie-ness of it.

Hmm.. I havent had any problems with Smart Balance and baking yet, idk... I have heard that replacing your sugar with applesauce (still sugar and sweet but slightly less offensive I guess--) or honey (same story) could be good replacements but Idk. Or I guess just using half the sugar would even help!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Smart Balance has a different chemical makeup from butter so it doesn't always work the same way in baking. For instance, I made home baked cookies for my boys and they turned out terrible. They were super flat and most of them had to be thrown in the trash. I've never tried it in cupcakes though so I'm not sure. It might work just fine in cupcakes. It wouldn't hurt to try! Applesauce is a replacement for oil. Honey is an excellent natural sugar AND it contains antioxidants! Pure maple syrup is also a great sweetener. Personally, I try to avoid artificial sweeteners (I also avoid high fructose corn syrup and make most of our foods from scratch). You COULD try fat free cream cheese which would bring the calories down just a little more. But it looks to me like this recipe has already been altered to achieve the lowest calories possible while still providing a treat that is acceptable in taste and texture. :)
  • ksnurse25
    ksnurse25 Posts: 62 Member
    how about using half sugar substitute and half regular sugar? Just a thought!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Bookmarked and thumbs up!!!!
This discussion has been closed.