Do calories burned during strength training count?

Options
I just noticed MFP does not track calories burned during strength exercises. Does strength just not have a significant calorie usage? Because, let me tell ya, I definitely feel like I burned some major calories on some of my strength work outs, however, that is not being tracked like my cardio is.

Replies

• splendifikiss
    splendifikiss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There is a cardio workout called "Strength training" that calculates a general idea of what you burned by the minute.
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options
    I record it in the strength section then I also add it in cardio (I just search weight training and put in the minutes I do it). I never rest during my weight training, I do other exercises while whatever muscle I just worked rests. My heart rate is up the whole time and I'm extremely sweaty by the end. You better bet I count that toward my cardio!!! I earned it! :)
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Training with weights actually allows your body to burn calories for a longer period of time after the training session than cardio does! I thought it didn't caluclate them automatically though because it varies SO drastically based on the person, what they're lifting, how heavy, how many reps, etc etc. I'd invest in a calorie counting watch and wear it all day to see what you actually burn throughout a day and how much it changes depending on what workout you do.
  • Ariloum
    Ariloum Posts: 12
    Options
    Aaahhhh... So THAT'S how you do it! Thank you ladies.
  • taygrad
    taygrad Posts: 19
    Options
    CXWorx is a a 30 minute strength training workout that never gives you a break - you're always switching muscles. Their website says approx 230 calories are burned in that 30 minute period, so I add it to Strength and Cardio. MFP is not cheating me out of my calories burned! :D
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There is a cardio workout called "Strength training" that calculates a general idea of what you burned by the minute.

The calorie estimate using the strength training entry is extremely low. It is a very, very, very conservative estimate. If you spend an inordinate amount of time lollygagging (actual real recovery time is not lollygagging), and focus on isolation exercises use that one. If you want to be safe, use that one.

If you instead strive for estimating accuracy (as you should), the circuit training entry is a much better estimate for strength training calorie burn. The circuit training entry is a great estimate for 5x5 type stuff, focusing on compound lifts moreso than isolation. Also if you are supersetting things.

If you are doing true hardcore circuit training, the circuit training estimate is is very low. Real circuit training (where you don't stop except at the end of a circuit, and then only to catch your breath) has a higher calorie burn than any other activity, it is full body and uses both your aerobic and anaerobic systems to the max. A tough circuit could have up to 2x the calorie burn of the circuit training entry.
  • splendifikiss
    splendifikiss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is great to know - I felt like the estimate was terribly low, considering I have a good idea how hard I push myself. Not much of a lollygagger here! I do take into account (in my head) that strength training also continues burning long after you've stopped working out.
  • Billybea
    Billybea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There seems so be so many different types of calorie counters
    Whcih would you suggest? Thanks
  • Ariloum
    Ariloum Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you waldo, that was helpful!

The calorie estimate using the strength training entry is extremely low. It is a very, very, very conservative estimate. If you spend an inordinate amount of time lollygagging (actual real recovery time is not lollygagging), and focus on isolation exercises use that one. If you want to be safe, use that one.

If you instead strive for estimating accuracy (as you should), the circuit training entry is a much better estimate for strength training calorie burn. The circuit training entry is a great estimate for 5x5 type stuff, focusing on compound lifts moreso than isolation. Also if you are supersetting things.

If you are doing true hardcore circuit training, the circuit training estimate is is very low. Real circuit training (where you don't stop except at the end of a circuit, and then only to catch your breath) has a higher calorie burn than any other activity, it is full body and uses both your aerobic and anaerobic systems to the max. A tough circuit could have up to 2x the calorie burn of the circuit training entry.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Boy yes it does!!! Best advice I can give you is to purchase a heart rate monitor to know for sure.

To give you an idea, im 5'7", weigh 152 with a fair amount of muscle (I strength train 3x/week) and burn about 400-450 cals/hour while lifting (mind you HEAVY lifting)

and the other poster was right... strength training helps your body to burn calories long past the time you are done... cardio does not.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    There seems so be so many different types of calorie counters
    Whcih would you suggest? Thanks

I had the Polar FT4 and that was great for a beginner. I got the Polar FT60 for mothers day. I love it
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Boy yes it does!!! Best advice I can give you is to purchase a heart rate monitor to know for sure.

To give you an idea, im 5'7", weigh 152 with a fair amount of muscle (I strength train 3x/week) and burn about 400-450 cals/hour while lifting (mind you HEAVY lifting)

and the other poster was right... strength training helps your body to burn calories long past the time you are done... cardio does not.

Cardio burns far more calories than strength training, and afterburn (EPOC) is very small, regardless of the exercise, according to calorimetry.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    They count, they are just much much harder to be anywhere near accurate about. Depending on what you're doing your heart rate could be as much as 100+ BPM off, which will throw your calorie burn way off. Also people of different muscle mass will burn different rates of calories depending what they're lifting, how efficiently they are lifting etc etc .

I just wear my heart rate monitor and log the calories burned under the cardio section for an exercise I created called "Calories burned from weight lifting" . One extra step but not really a big deal.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Cardio burns far more calories than strength training, and afterburn (EPOC) is very small, regardless of the exercise, according to calorimetry.

yes, you are right... but they both have their place at the fitness table. It is not a tremendous afterburn, but still one nonetheless. And besides... muscle looks HOT... Skinny fat does NOT :wink:
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Thanks Waldo

We need a category for Ninja Circuit then...........

Yes I know we can make our own. I will create a Ninja circuit for when I get fit enough to go that fast.
    In the meantime I do circuit in that my rest between machines is very short, but long enough to breathe at least 5 breaths.
  • christinekojack
    christinekojack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and log it under general circuit training,, i find i get the most accurate results that way! Hope that helps :)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Do a really tough Crossfit metcon, even a basic one like Cindy (5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 BW squats, rise-repeat this circuit for 20 minutes straight)

LOL @ cardio burning more calories...
  • l3rob
    l3rob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys/Gals- I found the below article on LiveStrong.com (note references at the bottom of the article as well). Have no idea how accurate it is, but it is the closest helpful thing I have found regarding this issue. One thing that it does not take into consideration is the amount of weight you are lifting, but you might assume it would go along with the intensity level (I mean, how heavy can your weights be if you are doing "light weight lifting with moderate effort".
    Weight lifting is a great exercise to not only build strength and tone muscles but to increase your metabolic rate and burn even more calories. For every 3 lbs. of muscle you build, your metabolic rate increases by 7 percent, according to West Valley College. This in turn increases the number of calories you need to maintain your weight by 15 percent. As an added bonus, after a weight training session you continue to burn calories at a higher rate for up to 24 hours. The number of calories you burn during the weight lifting session itself depends on your body weight and the type and intensity of the weight training. Consult your doctor before beginning any new exercise program.

Step 1
    Weigh yourself before each weight lifting session. The number of calories you burn partially depends on your weight.

Step 2
    Time the number of minutes you lifted weights. This includes the time spent resting between repetitions.

Step 3
    Determine the intensity value of your weight training. A bodybuilding level of effort is vigorous and burns 0.055 calories per pound per minute. Circuit training with weights burns 0.042 calories per pound per minute. Strength training with free weights burns 0.039 calories per pound per minute. Lighter weight lifting with moderate effort burns 0.028 calories per pound per minute.

Step 4
    Calculate the number of calories burned. First, multiply your weight by the number of minutes you exercised. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs. and lifted weights for 35 minutes, the formula would be 140 x 35 = 4900. Then multiply this number by the intensity value to get the number of calories burned. If you were circuit training, the formula would be 4900 x 0.042 = 206 calories burned.

References
    West Valley College Physical Education: Fitness Weight Training
    MayoClinic.com: Calories Burned in 1 Hour
    Riverside Community College District: Calories Burned Worksheet

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/#ixzz1vRWP7VCy
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor can't measure strength training. Even if it's circuit training it's pretty accurate. They are made to estimate cardio.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Lots of useful info in this thread - bump for later. Thanks all :flowerforyou: