Don't want to be the next one to post "newbie here"

Options
I started using MFP about 2 weeks ago to keep track of my kcal intake, never thought it would offer so much more. Last winter I lost about 20 lbs doing Medifast, over the summer I stopped and gained about 15 back. While I debated with going back on Medifast I started working out at a gym and realized I enjoy it.. problem being that the Medifast diet does not work so well with working out. I have gained 5 lbs in the past month... I am sure by zumba-ing myself into starvation mode. Now I have a new challenge. Eating more. Never in my life did I think this would be a problem, but here I am stressed out that I need to eat again in 30 minutes.I would love to meet some people with similar problems, or not.. I feel alone here in bathing suit beauty south Florida. Oh and I hope to loose about 75 lbs. Actually I just want to fit in a size 12 jean... so whatever that takes.

Replies

• panjabi
    panjabi Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There are no short cuts with weight loss, to lose weight there needs to be a calorie deficit. So watch your intake and up your water intake. Eat the right balance of nutrients in the right portions, eat regulary, trick is not to feel too full or too hungry.

Take regular excercise, this will give your metabolism a boost.

Good luck!

Make plenty of friends on MFP, there are some amazing people here, always ready to help.
  • ropicrdo
    Options
    Everyone here is helpful, so make friend and share you story. I'm a new member and love the food log, it had helped me. Add me as a friend if you would like. Great to hear your story.
  • KatieToback
    Options
    OK I guess I could have given a little more background. I am 32, mom to 3- twin 12 yo girls and stepmom to a 9yo girl. I live in South Florida. After a gluttonous summer I started my real quest to get in shape a month ago. I joined a gym and have been doing classes 5 days a week. I try to do one cardio and one strength class a day ( so maybe zumba and pilates or cardio kickboxing and body definition)
    In my extensive research and from prior experience I know that I do not eat enough. MFP tells me that my cal intake should be about 1200, it also says that I burn about 800kcal a day exercising. When I track I eat about 1000-1200 on a good day. I eat mostly protein and veggies. I have started adding in some complex carbs to see what it will do. I sometimes use Medifast meals as snacks in between ( I actually really like how some of them taste) Lots of water most days.
    This has been going on for a month and I have had no weight loss. I am not really sure how to add more kcal without hitting the ice cream... any help would be appreciated. Please friend request me I will accept.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Do try adding complex carbs. Good whole grain breads with natural nut butters (almond butter is awesome), brown rice cooked in chicken stock with some veggies mixed in. Add some nuts, just watch the portion size. They're good for you but too many (just like anything else) can add up quickly. There are some good bars to eat as a snack (you know, the evil 3:30-6:00 time of day after school). Two I like are Clif bar Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, 260 calories and it fills me up for a couple of hours. I keep a Clif Bar in my purse at all times-no stop at Mickey D's because I'm starving. Also, Supreme Protein, Peanut Butter Crunch 190 calories. Keep these in the freezer and they are a great treat (my kids like them even). I am strictly watching portion control and calories and am not limiting carbs, fats or sugar so these may not work for you depending on what your weight loss plan is.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Welcome - I too am new to this site, it's great so far!

Given that your numbers are right for calorie intake and exercising, yet you continue to gain weight, have you been medically cleared (for stuff like hypothyroidism)? It sounds like you're doing all the right things.