What got you started? When was it finally enough!

Options

Replies

• brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I hurt my back ( when I was thinner I worked out too much and threw my back out ) so when I threw my back out with a severe strain the 3rd time several years later the doctor just ridiculed me and said "Look at you, this is why your back is hurt".

He refused to set me up to see anyone, to get my back scanned etc and instead just prescribed me vicodin. I also saw two other docs who were like "It's probably nothing just take pills" who were hesitant to really send me anywhere saying you can't really see most damage done to backs, etc.

I just want to make sure my back isn't permanently damaged/get it thoroughly checked out and to do that, I apparently need to lose weight to be taken seriously.
  • hol_lou85
    hol_lou85 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i had always been over weight, for as long as i can remember, i had always tried to lose weight in the past, but i got to the point where i started to accept i was just big. i visited some friends for a weekend in London, and it hit me, no matter where we went, i was always THE biggest person. this was the motivation i needed
  • 123janea
    123janea Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I opened my jean drawer and could not find a single pair that fit.
  • IHaveToMuchSexy
    Options
    Lets see.... Where will I begin.. Lol.. Well I got into a car accident some damn idiot hit me and I broke my right ankle..:explode: So pretty much being bed ridden and depressed I started putting on weight. Then I decided, I'm going to get my *kitten* up, I ordered a wheel chair because the crutches was just awful. So That's how I got around. I even got hired in the wheel chair at my last drive.. So after about almost a year, I started walking somewhat normal, but the weight was adding more stress to my ankle. I could not run, because I was afraid to.. I and 5 feet tall and has always had some SEXY on the bottom..:bigsmile: but, then it Just got to BE to much SEXY down there.. Lmaoffff..So then I moved away from the crib, oh in Miami to Md. Got married and had me another baby, and got Me SOME more SEXINESS that's just uggggggghhhhh.. But I'm coolin with it, but then a sista had to have my gallbladder removed about 6 months after having the baby, I was like WTH is going on.. so after that zi couldn't eat my FRIED CHICKEN no more.. And I have been at my heaviest now at 183, I'm just to s mall for that amount of weight. SO PEOPLE HERE IS YA GURL WITH ALL IF DIS SEXY! I wanna run, lose the baby weight, the baby is now 18 months, AND NEVA EVA EVA have that pain again with my gallbladder, it's worst than havin a freakin baby'...lmaoffff..:noway:

So everting is cool now, I'm coolin doing the damn thang.. That's my story folks! :smokin: :glasses:
  • DaniPulley
    DaniPulley Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I finally had enough when I constantly did not want to go out because I simply could not find anything to wear when going to parties with friends. Everything I had would be tight and uncomfortable. I finally got to the point where all I had to wear was one pair of jeans that fit and one pair of shorts and big t-shirts. No one like that feeling. I can no longer fit into most of my clothes and that is my biggest motivation. Tired of feeling gross and wanting to cry every time I look at myself in a mirror. So here I am.. :)
  • JustSammi
    Options
    After years of under eating caused by self esteem issues (thought I was fat when I wasn't amongst other things), I went to Uni and I guess I sort of allowed myself to enjoy life for the first time. I drank loads of booze and ate loads of takeaways with my friends and the weight piled on.

I knew I had put weight on but I didn't realise how much, most of my clothes still fitted (must have been stretchy!) and I didn't have a scale to see it climb.

Anyway, I was mortified when I realised I had put on like 40 lbs! When I finished Uni I decided it was time to turn my life around, no more partying constantly to get in the way of a healthy lifestyle.

(Though I still drink quite a lot at the weekends with my friends, I just make sure I allocate enough calories towards it!) :drinker:
  • luisgerry16
    luisgerry16 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with being overweight since High School, it never seemed to be that big of a deal I thought I was just "big boned". Yeah I knew I was fat but nobody ever believed me when I told them my weight so I though I must carry it well. When I was ready to graduate college I got on a diet and lost 50 lbs and was looking and feeling great, however once I moved away for work I put it all back and then some in less than four years. Towards the end of last year (2012) I was at my heaviest (315 lbs) and even though I didn't know it I was severely depressed. I found myself making up excuses to not go out because I was so uncomfortable in my look and how the clothes fit (that's if I could find clothes that fit). My cholesterol was through the roof and my blood pressure was border line high and I wasn't even 30 years old yet. Let's not even get into my personal/intimate life. Looking at the mirror was torture so of course I didn't want anyone else looking at me naked, I was constantly embarrassed. I went on assignment to Denmark for four months and being there really help me notice just how unhealthy my eating habits and lifestyle were. By the time I got back to the States I had lost 20 lbs just by eating better and walking a little bit more. I joined a gym and MFP and have since lost an additional 30 lbs and even though I still have lots to loose I am happier and more motivated than ever.
  • 7x57
    7x57 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I finally started when visiting an old friend in another city. We were sitting in his kitchen getting caught up when I leaned back and his expensive kitchen chair experienced a structural failure. I was uninjured but felt very embarrassed and decided then and there that it was diet time.
  • GryffindorWinz
    GryffindorWinz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When my recruiter told me I weighed too much to join the military :(
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    A. Seeing pictures of myself & comparing them to how great I looked just 3 years ago
    B. My husband losing over 40 pounds
  • beniky
    beniky Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I realized I had gained back over half of the weight I worked my butt off to lose 12 years prior. And I had literally busted out of the zipper of the one skirt that fit me. I had purposely gotten rid of all my old large clothes the first time around to discourage me from relaxing back into old habits - and I was reluctant to shop for new larger clothes. I had that skirt, 2 tops and a dress that barely fit me - disgraceful.....
    My closet was stuffed full of size 4's I didn't have the heart to get rid of...just kept staring wistfully at them thinking "Someday...".

It was May 22nd this year - I have the date circled on my calender. I got sick of saying "Someday" and said "Now".
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I also work at a clinic and have been learning about all the terrible things that all my excess weight does or can do to my body.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I had just turned 40 and after a health check my doctor told me my blood pressure was a little high. He said I should cut down on salt & sugar and be more active and try lose some weight. That was just the push I needed and I haven't looked back since.
  • pkteen
    pkteen Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I basically had really bad self esteem issues since i was very young. It had reached a point where I had made peace with the fact that I was always going to be the guy who got bullied because of his weight and would never have a good social life because I looked horrible at almost 230lbs. Last December, I got extremely sick and it almost cost me my life and it just struck me that I need to be normal, I need to be healthy and you know... look good! As cliched as it may sound, it made me drop around 60lbs! I'm still overweight and need to lose around 24 lbs more and gain some muscle.
    I've reached a gap where I'm not exercising regularly or eating as well as i used to (when I lose the 60lbs!) but I've started to go to the gym again and i'm determined to reach my goal till December....
    I've deleted all of my stats on MFP to forget admiring the 60lbs weight loss and begin at 90kg as the starting line.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I looked down in the shower and couldn't see my noodle anymore. That was enough for me to lay off the pizza and beer and go straight to water and bacon cheeseburgers.
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't even remember what finally kick-started me to start lifting. However, after maxing out my newbie gains from exercise and good (but not controlled) diet a friend mentioned MFP so i jumped on the bandwagon and certainly glad I did. Not that I've really experienced any astonishing changes but it's piece of mind knowing I'm eating the correct amount of the right things!
  • Buckeyegirlbritt
    Options
    I was heavy since I was 6-7 years old. Kids picked on me even though I played team sports (basketball & softball). Then when I hit highschool (my mom sent me to an all girls catholic highschool), a girl looked at me and told me, "you'd be prettier if you let your bangs grow out." Which I did. Then I noticed I always had male friends, but never a boyfriend. Finally when I hit 21, I met my husband and peaked at my heaviest. I knew if I wanted kids the weight had to go, so I lost some, then I had a baby and I told myself, "if I'm going to be married to a tall twig and set a good example for my kids, I need to change my habits and lose the weight." And that's exactly what I did.
  • seniorbug2003
    seniorbug2003 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was in my home town visiting my family. My siblings and I went to a 3 story Museum. I got tired after going up one flight of stairs. Then had to sit down after walking for just a little bit. I missed most of the museum because I had to rest. I did not want to be like my mother who watch from the car when the rest of the family is doing something. I want to be an active part of family outings.

I joined a gym within one week of getting home. I have only lost 10 pounds but I am able to walk around so much more. I even was able to walk a whole mile a couple of weeks ago and did not die.

I have not lost a lot so more to fix there but I am more fit so I call that a win.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I had enough when I started to have pain in my joints for no reason, tingling numbness in my fingers every morning when I woke, huffing & puffing just to go upstairs to my room, and of course the pictures.

I finally didn't allow myself any excuses, it was time to commit to change.

21525558.png
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My moment took me about a month before it became solid. My sister (who has always been my overweight partner in life) lost 90lbs the previous year. I was scared to be left behind in life, I wanted to be able to keep up with her be that social or activity related. My hubby and I had always talked about finally getting the weight off but two weeks into a program we would always quit. So January 1, 2011 we decided to give it a try again. Three weeks into it and I could already feel myself slipping back into old habits. It finally hit me that I was going to have to do something different this time or I would end up in the same position next year, and probably be even heavier. So, I did the only thing I have never done before in regards to weight loss...I asked for help. This was in the form of hiring a personal trainer and seeing a therapist. Best decision I have ever made in my life! While working with my therapist I discovered the reasons I failed at my many previous weight loss attempts; I didn't feel I deserved it and couldn't put that much work and effort into something for myself, along with some major trust issues. When I started working with a trainer I was able to work hard for him instead, until I could finally work hard for myself. This was the mental ah ha moment that I needed to be successful. To be honest, I never thought in a million years when I started this journey almost 3 years ago that I'd be sitting here 143lbs lighter and only 5lbs away from my original goal. Never give up cause the only time you fail is when you stop fighting.
This discussion has been closed.