should i trust edomondo calories

Options
I am thinking of eating back half of my exercise calories but i ve to make sure i am not over estimating my calories burned.
i lift heavy weights 3-4 days a week and walk /run atleast 4 days a week.i don't estimate calories burned for lifting weights,i just ignore it because i feel weight lifting doesn't burn much and use the weight lifting for maintaining muscle mass instead of loosing weight.For my walks/run i use endomodo app and i am wondering if anyone knows how trust worthy it's calorie count is.Also i hear a heart rate monitor is the best device for estimating your calorie burn,is every heart rate monitor out there in the market good or are there some that do the job better and some that dont't do a good job at all?

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    All apps that count calorie burns are just approximate. Use the app but also listen to your body. If you aren't hungry, then don't eat. It really is that simple.
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have powerwalked with both my Endomondo and HRM at the same time. On an average 60 minute powerwalk, the Endomondo was about 50 calories higher than my HRM. I don't worry about it and only walk with my Endomondo since I don't eat all of my exercise calories back. And yes, an HRM is a better way to gauge how many calories you're burning. Hope that helps!

For an HRM, I love my Polar which I've had for probably 8 years and it's still working fine (just needed battery changes). Whatever you get, be sure it comes with the chest strap for best accuracy.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a Garmin heart rate monitor, which is supposed to be delivered today. I bought a Garmin because I also bought the GPS watch to go with it. I have been using Endomondo on my runs, so I am curious to see how they compare for calories. I have found the distance on Endomondo just to be a little bit off. On my run Saturday my Garmin said 5.5 miles and Endomondo said 5.63. I'm inclined to believe the Garmin vs. the cell phone app, especially since the post-run graphics are so pinpoint accurate (I can see when I was on the sidewalk vs. when I was on the side of the road).

I do understand with the HRM that you want a chest strap. The ones that are just on your wrist are not accurate. As far as from brand-to-brand, I don't know.
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I find Endomondo to be a bit optimistic as well. Especially on my bike rides. It's a good estimate and love the detail it provides.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    No. The difference in the burn with my HRM and the app is 40-60%
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I used Endomondo to track mileage until I got my Garmin GPS HRM. The Endomondo is WAY high and I believe that it includes BMR where a HRM gives you a guestimate of what is above your BMR so you need to estimate that number subtract that out.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I think Endomondo is close as long as you use a heart rate monitor with it. I have used it with and without, without the HRM is usually 10% higher than with. Also, I have just switched from eating back 50% of exercise calories to TDEE-10%, I think it will be easier then trying to estimate and if I don't get results I can just subtract or add calories as needed.
  • Shirrehodges
    Options
    Am unsure about the application you are using; however, I use MapmyRun app. This app seems to be okay in monitoring calories burned. As far as heart rate, I believe HRM's are more accurate.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I used my Garmin HRM & my Endomondo app on my run tonight. Just a short run (2 miles). The pace was dead on between the two (including my splits). Garmin gave me a calorie burn of 303 and Endomondo 364.