how often should you weigh in?

Options
Triciad811
Triciad811 Posts: 268 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I seem to be number driven and want to weigh every morning to see if any progress has been made. Often times no progress from the night before of a slight gain from the day before (water or whatever) and I become discouraged. Is there a better way to weigh? Like once a week, twice a week, every other week?

I have battled my weight most of my life and think i am on the right track but still feel like I am struggling.

Replies

• helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday and Wednesday morning, after going to the toilet and naked. So far I've lost consistently so am happy with the times I get weighed.
    We all know weight can fluctuate so there's no right or wrong time or frequency to weight yourself, just find what you're comfortable with and what works best for you.
  • Triciad811
    Options
    thanks .... I will try less weighing less frequently to see if that helps. I am scared i will get discouraged and lose the motivation and momentum I currently have
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Understand that weight fluctuates constantly. When I'm on a cut, I usually weigh daily, but I only log the weight once a week or once every other week to help smooth out the curve. Water weight can fluctuate by 5-10 lbs a day, so that can have an impact. I don't get fixated on the number, so daily weighings work for me to help keep an eye on things. When I first started, however, I only weighed twice a month to keep from letting small fluctuations discourage me. Find a routine that works for you.
  • Triciad811
    Options
    thanks for the advice.
  • Chellebear01
    Chellebear01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do a weight check once a week on Friday mornings before eating. That way I am on a schedule otherwise I will fall back into a daily weight check (not good for me). So far I am happy with the scheduling.
    My suggestion is decide on how often you feel comfortable doing a weight check then marking that particular day(s) on a calendar then write in your weight. Perhaps that will allow you not to be anxious as you can see the number and when you should check it again. You will find a good system for your particular needs and goals.

Good luck!
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    every saturday morning...
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    doesn't matter if you weigh yourself daily or weekly or biweekly-- that's totally up to you. but remember that fluctuations are perfectly normal and natural, what matters is that you see a downward trend over the long run. however often you choose to weigh yourself, do it at the same time of the day, under the same conditions. for example, i only weigh myself in the morning, right after waking up, after my morning pee, and buck naked. :)
  • bammer4560
    Options
    Every Friday and Monday morning. Friday keeps me on track for the weekend, and Monday keeps me on track for the whole week.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Agree with what has been said. I also see monthly cycles with when my losses occur. In addition, a lot of posts will recommend taking measurements every 2-4 weeks. Some people won't see much change in the scale, but will lose inches due to gaining muscle as they lose fat. Don't get discouraged! That's why people are here to support you.
  • kpick41
    kpick41 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale everyday. It goes up and down, which is TOTALLY NORMAL! Your body does fluctuate each day. I only record my weight on Tuesday's.
  • Triciad811
    Options
    this is why I love MFP so much. So much great advice from people who understand because they have been there. Thank you for the advice and encouragement. I will alter my weighing in to a couple times a week and if I am still feeling a bit discouraged I will go to once a week.

Yes I can do this !!! I will succeed this time :)
  • Deborah100660
    Deborah100660 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The site recommends only one a week, on the same scale, and at the same time of day. I sometimes miss my weekly weigh in because I am gone for a weekend. I wait until the next weigh in is due and the record my weight. The exercises I do make me feel better and I am eating better.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You need to find a way to get over putting so much emotion and pressure behind that number on the scale - it won't matter how frequently you weigh, if you're not seeing the progress you think you should, it's always going to bother you. In addition, take body measurements and progress pics as those can be a much better indication of progress.

I've always weighed daily. I should actually say, the only time I didn't weigh daily was when I was packing on the pounds up to my heaviest weight - so for me, not weighing daily means i'm in some sort of denial and that's a bad thing. If I'm up, I know it's probably due to high sodium or TOM or even a hard workout and it'll be back down, if not a bit lower in no time. I've also noticed that I only really lose weight once a month, right after TOM (sometimes during ovulation but only if I've been really good). Not sure if that's due to my BC or what but I've made peace with it and still like to weigh daily out of curiosity.

Ultimately, you have to do what works best for you.
This discussion has been closed.