Low carb, high fat & protein. Any success?

Options
CW: 142
GW: 126
Height: 5'6
25 year old female

I have been losing weight at a VERY steady pace, about 0.5lbs per week and this was due to a life style change and not putting myself on a 'diet' as such. I still have treats so it's probably why it's taking me longer to get where i want to be.

BUT i will be spending a month in Thailand for Christmas and i have three months to shed as much weight as possilbe; i have seen a nutritionist who has given me an eating plan that involves minimal carbs and high fat and protein, he said i need to eat like a caveman and if it didn't run, swim or fly and it's not green, then don't eat it. So chicken, turkey, beef, liver, fish, nuts, seeds and green vegetables.

I will only be sticking to this plan until i depart on that plane to Thailand but i'm wondering if i will see results? i will be averaging around 40grams of carbs per day but i will be going over in fat and protein.

Any advice?

Replies

• Sid1988
    Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you eat a very low carbohydrate diet (around 40g total carbs from green veggies) while eating at a caloric deficit, you are likely to lose more scale weight short term than you would on a similarly calorie restricted diet that's not low carb. What are your targets for protein and fat? If your protein is too high, it can mitigate that effect.

If your only goal is to have a lower number on the scale in three months, that diet is effective.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    The best diet is one you can stick with. I had a trainer that suggested Paleo diet and I know a lot of people have had success with it. I personally didn't feel it was the right fit for me.

I try to eat lowER carbs...around 30% of my diet. I find that protein and fat keeps me full longer and it works for me.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Many people, (Myself included) find a lot of success in weight loss eating in this fashion. It's not magically better due to the lower carbs. It is however pretty easy to maintain this style of eating because restricting carbs has this way of eventually lowering your craving for carbs and protein and fats tend to have longer lasting effects of making you feel full.

Many people also experience a number of other benefits that also indirectly affect weight loss in a positive way.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Many people, (Myself included) find a lot of success in weight loss eating in this fashion. It's not magically better due to the lower carbs.

I agree with your post and liked everything you wrote -- I did however, want to point out that this is one of the few (perhaps only) times when you could actually claim that the lowered carbs actually do provide a benefit over other diets when looked at isocalorically.

Given the short period of time, and her goal to lose as much weight as possible, the loss due to water weight will likely chip off another handful of pounds for her. Now, she should probably consider amending her goal, but that's another story.

I just thought it was funny in that most of the time, the general rule of thumb is that the benefit to low carb exists in the realm of satiety and dietary maintenance for most. This is one of the few times that there are actually added benefit.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes, I am doing 40-40 -20 macro setting, carbs at 20%, fat and protein at 40%, and doing great I lost about 9 pounds that I was trying to get off, and now maintaining and a suitable weight and BF%
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Many people, (Myself included) find a lot of success in weight loss eating in this fashion. It's not magically better due to the lower carbs.

I agree with your post and liked everything you wrote -- I did however, want to point out that this is one of the few (perhaps only) times when you could actually claim that the lowered carbs actually do provide a benefit over other diets when looked at isocalorically.

Given the short period of time, and her goal to lose as much weight as possible, the loss due to water weight will likely chip off another handful of pounds for her. Now, she should probably consider amending her goal, but that's another story.

I just thought it was funny in that most of the time, the general rule of thumb is that the benefit to low carb exists in the realm of satiety and dietary maintenance for most. This is one of the few times that there are actually added benefit.

Sounds like we're coming from the same place. As I mentioned in my last paragraph there are other benefits, I just chose not to list them out.
  • confused_truffle
    confused_truffle Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The best diet is one you can stick with. I had a trainer that suggested Paleo diet and I know a lot of people have had success with it. I personally didn't feel it was the right fit for me.

This right here. I've had insane success on low carb, but you have to BELIEVE in what lifestyle you choose. If you enjoy low carb lifestyle, go for it! Joy and happiness, as well as confidence, trump any "weight loss promises" a particular diet can give to you.