sodium addict

Options
I need some help. I'm trying to eat healthy and stay in shape, but I have ruined my taste buds by putting way too much salt on all my meals. And now I'm at the point where I HAVE TO put salt on things (like potatoes) to make them taste good....
Does anyone know a good way to stop this or at least minimize the salt I take in?

Thanks!

Replies

• Meag83
    Meag83 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sea salt is a healthier option. If you get a grinder and grinder it yourself you may find you'll use less. Try seasoning your food with Mrs. Dash.
  • moonport
    moonport Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I'm still dealing with it, actually. I was just introduced to Mrs. Dash, which is fabulous on potatos. There's also No-Salt, but be careful with that. The potassium is super high and can have negative health effects if you have certain medical conditions or use too much. And I just discovered something called Lite Salt at Walmart, which is half salt and half potassium. It's a good go between.
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    I had the same problem. I'm still dealing with it, actually. I was just introduced to Mrs. Dash, which is fabulous on potatos. There's also No-Salt, but be careful with that. The potassium is super high and can have negative health effects if you have certain medical conditions or use too much. And I just discovered something called Lite Salt at Walmart, which is half salt and half potassium. It's a good go between.

this! :flowerforyou:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    At first I bought a rather generic spice mixture (I think garlic something - similar to Mrs. Dash) that had no salt in it. I used this on chicken, with eggs, etc - anytime I would use salt normally. I highly recommend you just force yourself to stop adding salt to foods that you make. If you need to use other spices instead, then go ahead, but it's so worth it to give up the salt! It may be weird at first, but your taste buds will eventually get used to this change. That's what I did, and I've learned to appreciate the natural flavor of veggies/meats/etc. without all the added salt.
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    Actually, just like you got used to putting salt on everything (that was me too) you will get used to the flavor without salt, it's taken me over a year, but I finally do not miss the salt so much now:flowerforyou:

Mrs. Dash is awesome on potatoes and eggs and toast...........best of luck!
  • IngeS18
    IngeS18 Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll try and start cutting back on salt. And in the meantime I'll look for that Mrs. Dash product.
    Now I don;t live in the States, as my husband is military and stationed here in Italy. But we have a NEX/Commisary, so maybe if I'm lucky they'll have it.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I think that if you give it time your taste buds will change back. It's not like using too much hot sauce or cayenne where you are actually damaging your taste buds irreparably. In the meantime, using lemon juice can also be a good way to,"brighten" food flavors, (that's what salt does). You can add lemon zest to mashed potatoes or veggies while cooking or just before serving. You can also buy dried lemon zest in the spice isle, (that may have some salt in it, I'm not sure).

I culinary school and later in restaurants I used a lot of salt and got very used to it, without even thinking. Since being a SAHM, I no longer cook the same way. At first it was a challenge to reduce the amount of salt I was using, but then you do get used to it. Sea salt is def. the best option. Plus, remember; whatever you cook at home has way less salt than anything you eat out or purchase, that's a promise!
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    I wish I had some good advice for you, but I am a total sodium addict. I never used to salt my food but now I do, and all the time!
  • jenjust6
    Options
    If you can't find Mrs. Dash, try more spices in general, garlic onion, whatever. I still love salt but since starting MFP I have refused to add it to anything. To some things, like popcorn, I add parmesan, which still has sodium and of course has fat & cal, but a little goes a long way. And as karincakes says below, lemon or lime is an excellent way to "brighten" food and fool your taste buds into thinking something"s saltier. I use lemon pepper a lot and don't miss the salt at all...good luck from a fellow (hopefully former) saltaholic.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    try weening yourself down from it. Start of by not adding as much, and then get less and less. But, you know, you dont have to stop it alltogether; salt has its benefits too! :bigsmile: