Tired of being BIG! Ready to lose weight!

Options
I am 5'5 and 178 pounds. I'm tired of being twice as big as my boyfriend, being bigger than all of my friends and being so out of shape. I want to wear the tight clothes and have a great body shape in them. Thin nice waist, great shaped/sized butt.

MFP says eating 1450, I'll only lose 1 pound a week and I'd like to only eat 1200 and lose 2 pounds a week but there's no way I could eat 1200 and be happy.. I'm not even happy at eating 1450 and a lot of people say 1200 is unhealthy. I think it depends on what you eat.

How do you guys feel? Do you feel your too big? Or are you just toning?

Replies

• KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I feel where you're coming from. I'm 5'5 also, 253 pounds. There are days I just can't stand not being able to do things or feel the way I want, or the age I want.

I don't record much these days. However, most fruit and veggies are low calories and very filling. I personally know I huge salad with a wide variety of veggies in it and some meat fill me up.
  • Brallen1969
    Options
    If you make good choices 1450 is good. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. I wouldn't drop to 1200 right away, this is not a sprint type race...slow and steady is what you want. 1 Pound a week is a great loss. You will also be exercising, so you will be able to eat a bit more than just the 1450. Work hard, get a good group of supporters around you and keep moving forward even on the bad days...you got this. You are on the right track and I am sure you are going to kill it!! Feel free to add me if you want. Good luck!!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    As you probably already know, eat at a calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness... And you get to eat more! Stay the course, log consistently, be patient. It WILL come off. If you haven't read this already, here's an excellent link to get you started: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=Guide+sexy

Edited to add link.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'5" also. Currently at 224lb, down over 14 lb over my starting weight, but a long way from my goal. I'm also tired of being big- I've been that all my life. I've dieted before, but also gained all the way back and more. This time I'm doing it right. The only way to get the weight off and keep it off is to be sensible and eat at a level which is sustainable. This is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. So I'm eating a little less, exercising a little more and aiming for 1 lb a week. A little more is good, as long as I'm not hungry and miserable. As a lot of folk on the board say- this is not a race.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    It's all about WHAT foods you're eating!!! Believe me - I eat all day, every day (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 2 snacks) and am having omelets, sauteed spinach, fruit, turkey sausage patties, turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes, brown rice, big salads with chicken, coq au vin, beef skewers, and some other stuff - and this is all while on a very restrictive "7-Day Slimdown!"

Depending on what it is I'm eating, there are days when I don't even break the 1000 calorie mark. 1200 is DEFINITELY doable - don't think of the number, itself - think of the foods that you will be eating. You can eat A LOT of stuff that will fill you up and provide all the nutrition you need that also doesn't happen to have a super high caloric value.
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'5'' and im' 176 lbs currently - we are almost the same! I eat a net of 1200 calories, but I exercise to that I can eat more. the trick is VEGGIES! super low calorie, very nutritious!

feel free to add me and check out my diary. I wasn't logging for a while but I just got back on track.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Well, actually, I think the real trick is to find a sustainable plan that you can do for the rest of your life. For most people, that is not eating 1200 calories worth of vegetables and lean meat for the rest of their lives. The chances of failure increase if you deprive yourself. My advice would be to be as active as possible, eat at a moderate deficit and incorporate the foods you enjoy after hitting your macro and micronutrient goals. Take a look at my diary if you like. Not abundant in veggies, not 'clean' but something I can do forever.
  • futuregill
    futuregill Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Eating 1450 calories is a good way to start. Eat small healthy meals and make sure to add small healthy snack in between meals like nuts and fruits. Also exercise!! You'll start to see a difference. Good luck!
  • suzique33
    suzique33 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 206 lbs, I was 226 at my biggest, joined the gym Oct 2011 and dropped 35 lbs to 193,My goal is to be 140lbs, then had a hysterectomy and haven't lost a lb since!. I keep getting told it is my diet but I don't know how much more salad I can eat honestly! I count every calorie and gram of fat, carbs protein etc.
    I workout daily, Running, biking, Zumba, weights, calistenics everything! My husband is 6'1" and 185 lbs soaking wet! I hate being fat, He looks great in all our pics and I hate looking in the mirror, I hate seeing pics of me! I work hard and get no results! I hurt my knee in early march and wasn't allowed to excercise for over 12 weeks and gained 13 lbs back! I went back gradually in June In signed up for 7 5km runs, and 10km and warrior dash for this year. I have 3 left and the 10 km and still haven't lost a lb! I work out daily I am at a loss as to what to do! I am going to cuba in about 8 weeks and don't want to be the fat one but all the effort I do and don't see the scales start to go down! It is sooooo hard to not just give up!! I really have no idea what to do!
    I just want to see results and have my clothes fit again!
  • ChangingLifestyles
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your advice and stories! I hope that you and I will reach our goals! Anything is possible!
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and 170, so we are about in the same place. I just decided today was the day to get serious. I remember when my husband weighed 170. I don't want to weigh the same as a man. I want to be a petite healthy girl. Lets work on this together. Good luck to you.
  • kattapultt
    Options
    Hi there. c: I'm 5'0 and 167 pounds. I want to lose sixty pounds.