What does it cost you for child care?

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    1) Thanks for reminding me I need to pay to daycare today
    2) we pay $760 a month for my 2 year old.
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    For a 4 year old and 5 month old it costs us $1,300/month.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    When we looked into it two months ago, the cheapest we found was £855 per month for my one year old - that's for five days per week (higher per-day fee for part-time places). After 3 years the government contributes 15 hours per week so it goes down.

It's actually more to send them to a basic nursery than it is to send an older child to any of the fairly exclusive private schools round here.

Edit to add: that's about $1450 per month

For some reason I thought all childcare was subsidized in the UK. I guess that's not the case?
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Where I live the available spots for daycare are limited so the prices are inflated, I pay $890 a month but get about $420 back from government subsidies (because there`s no spots available through the provincial system I had to go private).
  • jillomahony
    jillomahony Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I pay 550 euros a month for my 6 month old, I am a teacher and live in Brussels. Mind, my pay is 1400 a month in euros, so it is a HUGE chunk of my wage just for day care!
  • Jaided35
    Options
    Our day cares can be subsidized but you have to make a certain amount. For me to put my two in day care 3 years ago it would have been $2000 a month. But my bf makes over $50 000. My friend makes $20000 and pays nothing for day care for 3 kids (2 are 4 and one is 10). Basically it goes on income and how many kids.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    For three kids (2 in after school care and one in preschool) it costs me ~ $1000/month.
  • AbstractAsterism
    AbstractAsterism Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    165 a week for a 2.5 year old. That's for a non in-home, and that's the least expensive I've found.
  • letsgo222
    Options
    I'm a private nanny and I get $600 a week. I do other things than just watch the baby. I do the baby's laundry, load/empty the dishwasher, hand wash baby bottles, some cleaning, run errands (grocery shopping, dry cleaning), and some cooking. Full service. I work 42 hours every week.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Let's see: starting off at daycare for 2 infants- $1150 a month (with military and sibling discount) I would bring home $800 a month after daycare (in Tacoma, WA)

When they were both potty trained: $800 a month (that was 3 days a week. They went to preschool 2x a week)

Luckily the high school I worked at offered daycare so down to one kid and it was just $300 a month

Moved to another state (Louisiana), before/after school care: $600 a month ran through on military base daycare facility. The kids hated it.

Now they are old enough, they watch themselves for 30 minutes before I get home. They are right on the age of being too old for care/too young to stay home, but for now it is working okay. I am sooo glad to have that money back!
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Back in DC, where I just moved from, slightly subsidized day care centers started at 1600 for an infant (with a two year wait list), but 2200-2700/month was more typical. in home care was significantly cheaper, you could get a great spot for 1200/mo.

Even if you were willing to pay, though, you still had to deal with the waitlist. I got on a waitlist six months before I got pregnant and couldn't get my daughter in until she was about a year old.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    My wife runs a licened home day care.
    She charges $180.00 per week from infant on up.
    This is in Palm Beach County; Florida.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    It really depends...

The daycare my daughter started at was $125 a week. It closed down when she was about 6 months old.

We tried the individual route, it was $100 a week. That didn't work out. We knew the woman, her husband was my teacher in school. But they just had WAY to many kids and I just didn't feel right with my 6 month old being there.

So we moved her to another daycare that was $135 a week. Had a falling out with the owner because she was delusional over things that were happening to my daughter at daycare.

And she is currently at the best day care ever, further from my house/work but has the best employees a mom could ask for. It is $80 a week.

So in my area anywhere from $80-$135 a week.
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    I live in Scotland and pay £350/$560 a month for my 3 year old. She is in nursery Mon, Tues, Wed all day
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    150$ A week for me for baby under 12 months.... I hope it gets cheaper quick! or I stop having to work one or the other
  • missa482
    Options
    $197.50 a week for my 21 month old
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    We used to spend around 1900$/month for 8 hours of child care to our nanny. Currently my parents are taking care of her, but she starts day care soon and thats going to be 1600$+ per month. :grumble:
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I spend $600+ a month depending on my schedule, this is for a 7 year old that's in school. Includes her before/after school care, care while I work night shifts & the random weekend day shift.
  • samammay
    Options
    440/wk for our private nanny for 1 toddler. Extra if she takes care of our older 2.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    $35 / day / kid. I use an in-home stay at home mom. She just has her kids and mine.