Fast Food Chicken!

Options
Seriously, this is exactly why I do not allow my daughter to eat anywhere but chic fil'a.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

http://clatl.com/omnivore/archives/2010/10/04/please-ronald-mcdonald-say-it-isnt-so

1286168065-processed_chicken.jpg

Say hello to mechanically separated chicken. It’s what all fast-food chicken is made from—things like chicken nuggets and patties. Also, the processed frozen chicken in the stores is made from it.

Basically, the entire chicken is smashed and pressed through a sieve—bones, eyes, guts, and all. it comes out looking like this.

There’s more: because it’s crawling with bacteria, it will be washed with ammonia, soaked in it, actually. Then, because it tastes gross, it will be reflavored artificially. Then, because it is weirdly pink, it will be dyed with artificial color.

But, hey, at least it tastes good, right?

High five, America!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    That picture and story are fake and hoaxes, its pretty obvious that chicken nuggets at mcdonalds and wendys arent made from that stuff.

Mechanical separation does not involve using the whole animal nor does it involve bacteria or amonia.. its highly regulated by USDA and only lower quality products such as cheap hotdogs which are clearly labeled would contain this.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I will still go to wendys for a spicy chicken ever once and a great while :)
  • jrich1
    Options
    I will still go to wendys for a spicy chicken ever once and a great while :)

Wendys Spicy chicken is breast meat and so are their nuggets
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    check out this website...they are very good at getting to the truth of hoaxes, myths and legends....i always check this site before i forward on all those missing people, beware emails i get....

http://snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    even if this is a myth (which i dont believe, how do you know this jrich?) it still makes me glad that i'm a vegetarian. :)

edit: ok went and read that website. still sounds like nuggets are made from it and never said that the chicken at fast food places ARENT made from this. and yes....its still disgusting. and i'm still glad i've never eaten chicken in my life :)
  • jrich1
    Options
    even if this is a myth (which i dont believe, how do you know this jrich?) it still makes me glad that i'm a vegetarian. :)

Debunked from multiple sources.. everything you read online isnt true
  • vauleese
    Options
    http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp

It has hidden truth's to it. I have my other reasons for NOT letting my family eat chicken nuggets from McDonalds (course we dont eat there anymore to begin with after watching a video about the food from there and how it breaks down in sealed containers).
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    That picture is disgusting. . . true or not. I stay away from fast food all together but am curious what debates you all will put out over this photo/thread. I'm truly curious if this is true or not (although I am assuming not)
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The truth is actually directly between the orignal poster and the first reply. NOthing is highly regulated, the fda is overwhelmed and has surprisingly low standards. Also, they can only see so much. However, mechanically seperated chicken, while not perfect, does not involve eyes guts and all, probably occasionally but, defnitly not always. That being said, meat being washed in amonia is really common and if you all don't like it, don't eat it.
    Even breast meat is from horribly disgusting sources. I eat meat, just saying its nasty how it is raised, slaughtered, and handled. Whatever. I am sure cucumbers have feelings too, lol.
  • PanicAtTheBuffet
    Options
    I'm craving for a cardboard box of strawberry ice cream now. :love:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I found the same pic on Huffington post? I could not find it discounted as a hoax.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Ahh ya beat me to it. I love snopes.
  • Avalon203
    Options
    I dont know if its different in the US, but over here in Britain Mcdonalds use 100% chicken breast for their nuggets and chicken burgers.....They did a massive campaign about it a few years ago and now they have signs everywhere advertising it... I havent been to mcdonalds in aaaages but if I did, I wouldnt mind eating their chicken!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options

mmmmmmmmmm :laugh:
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    How is Chick-Fil-A better? I definitely notice their chicken looks and feels more like real chicken, breast meat...but where are the credentials that make you feel sure you're making a better choice?
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Men's Health listed McD's mcnuggets (not their selects with have a shockingly high fat content) as "Eat this" food.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options

I thought it looked more like taffy! lol Looks yummy to me. :bigsmile: I don't eat chicken from those places anyway... the only thing I really eat from Wendy's is a bacon cheeseburger or chili and from McDonald's, usually only fries (only when I seriously can't resist the craving). And I definitely don't believe that's what's really in it... if it included everything, why would they call it "mechanical separation" if nothing is being separated? Seems kind of dumb to me! *shrug*