Yoga recommendations?

Options
I am looking into trying yoga out for the first time ever. I had back surgery and a car accident (in that order) in 2011 and since I have been noticing poor balance, lack of core strength, poor flexibility, as well as increased stress, and panic attacks. So I feel that yoga would be very beneficial to my situation as from what I have read it should help with most of my issues.

Problem is, I'm just not sure where I go to learn yoga. I have looked on line but from what I see most are advanced movements or do things that jar the back. With my physical limitations I need something that is more focused on my needs before jumping to standing on my head lol

Can anyone suggest a site, yoga instructor (youtube), or DVD that would fit my needs?

Thanks

Replies

• tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try yogaglo.com.

A ton of different styles and teachers and they have a great beginner intro to show you the best type for you. Also, first 2 weeks free!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    If you message me your city, I could probably find a few classes for you to go to.

You could also check your local library and see what videos they have - if you wish to go that route.
  • Gurlyknockout
    Gurlyknockout Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I know of a few places that do it. I have too many medical bills and not time to go. I was looking for doing it at home on my own.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about recommending physical therapy. If you have insurance, it should cover that. Otherwise, see if you can find a discounted yoga class somewhere with a good instructor. Having good instruction will make the difference between a good and bad experience for you as a beginner with mobility and balance problems. Good luck!
  • snejkaxo
    snejkaxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly recommend Rodney Yee. I tried many instructors and different yoga schools, and he is by far my favorite. You can find his DVDs on Amazon, with used copies sold as low as 5 bucks. You definitely want to look for DVDs with beginners in the title. PM me if you´d like, if you want to talk further. I started with yoga about 15 years ago, and couldn´t even finish his whole program on the first try. But I stuck with it, and now I´m doing advanced routines with ease. Depending on what you are trying to focus on, I would be able to recommend which routine would work better for you as a start. Good luck! I know you won´t regret giving yoga a try!
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    www.collagevideo.com

Can find a video there to suit your needs. Even has clips to preview, and a certified instructor reviews every video.
    Good luck.
    I have found yoga to be very healing. Both physically and emotionally.
  • peabodhi
    Options
    I have been doing Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown at home for a few months now. I also have had back problems (torn disc) and love this DVD. It has two levels so you can start off on level one until you feel stronger and ready for level two. I feel so much better than I did a few months ago with improved flexibility as well as reduced inflammation in my knees. I can now easily get on the floor and play with the kids with no trouble getting up again. Ms. Michaels is tough but encouraging.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    ...because it's pretty form intensive and you're on the mend from an injury, I'd recommend waiting until you're healed. Even then, I'd still recommend finding a local instructor to help you with your form through the poses correctly.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to yoga classes, at least a few times. A good instructor will help you if you explain your back issues. Most poses can be modified to help with strength without putting a strain on your back.

Yoga is great for building up core strength and working on balance issues but you do have to be careful. If you push too far, you can hurt or reaggravate your back. Working with an instructor or a physical therapist will help you with the basics and to learn what you can and can't do when it comes to your back.

Good luck to you!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    you can go to youtube and put in bigginer yoga it comes up with a list of videos the same goes if you type in easy yoga you will get a list
  • SierraZulu
    Options
    I started with "Rodney Yee's Yoga for Beginners" DVD. It's short, you get good instruction, and it's a nice uncomplicated way to ease into yoga on your own time.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Shanti Yoga on Hulu is pretty slow paced and starts off easy. With whatever you try, just do your best and stick with it. You'll notice the moves get easier to follow/do each time.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    www.collagevideo.com

Can find a video there to suit your needs. Even has clips to preview, and a certified instructor reviews every video.
    Good luck.

This website is invaluable ........ look up any prospective DVDs here ..... a professional has done the workout & rated it beginner, advanced, etc.

There is a section of "special needs" workouts ....there are several DVDs for back issues.

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/back-pain-exercise-videos-43

One that stands out to me ....Yoga For The Rest of Us: Back Care Basics. This is by Peggy Cappy .... I don't have experience with this DVD, but Peggy Cappy has done several DVDs .... she's very experienced.

Hulu.com has a health & wellness channel .... lots of yoga. You should be able to look up DVD titles on Collage .... to see if they are beginner or not.

http://www.hulu.com/#!search?q=yoga
  • Gurlyknockout
    Options
    www.collagevideo.com

Good luck.

Thank you.

Thanks everyone. I have been to a physical therapist and they aggravated the issue. I am now under a chiropractors care. He gave me the go to start something and suggested yoga or strength training. I tried the weights but see to get many flare ups from it. So I feel that my foundation of balance, core strength and flexibility needs to be improved before I can go on anything else.
  • Gurlyknockout
    Options
    www.collagevideo.com

Good luck.

This website is invaluable ........ look up any prospective DVDs here ..... a professional has done the workout & rated it beginner, advanced, etc.

Thanks for checking into that for me! I will look into the hulu channels as well. Thanks!

There is a section of "special needs" workouts ....there are several DVDs for back issues.

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/back-pain-exercise-videos-43

One that stands out to me ....Yoga For The Rest of Us: Back Care Basics. This is by Peggy Cappy .... I don't have experience with this DVD, but Peggy Cappy has done several DVDs .... she's very experienced.

Hulu.com has a health & wellness channel .... lots of yoga. You should be able to look up DVD titles on Collage .... to see if they are beginner or not.

http://www.hulu.com/#!search?q=yoga
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    lots of studios offer a beginners class. I would recommend that over at-home yoga as it is easy to get the moves wrong and not even realize it and you can end up doing more harm than good!
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend doing at least 1 or 2 classes in a studio if you can find the money for it- often studios will offer lower rates for newcomers, or have coupons or Groupons, etc. That will give you a chance to learn the form and breathing techniques, and, probably more importantly, ask lots of questions. In a class the teachers can give you modifications and alternatives for problems spots (use blankets or blocks, don't bend over to far, what a neutral spine should feel like, etc.). Even though I've done yoga for years, I went back to a studio for a few weeks after I tore my MCL- the instructors showed me how to adjust poses so that they wouldn't aggravate the injury, and now I'm feeling more confident about home practice again!
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    There is a teacher that I've seen on PBS. Peggy Camp (I think). She has a program called Yoga For The Rest Of Us. It is very basic yoga.

Because of your back concerns, I would take a couple of yoga classes at a studio or even do some one on one classes with an instructor so you can be sure that you can get the modifications and options that are best for your back.

I love doing yoga and wish I could fit some in every day. It is so beneficial for me in so many ways.

Best wishes on finding the yoga option that works for you!
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Would also be worth trying Pilates as well, with an instructor who is also a qualified physiotherapist. They can work within your limits and strengthen your weak areas.
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Les Mills Body Balance the last few months and noticed a huge difference in my core strength, balance and flexibility.

It's a mixture of Yoga, Pilates and Thai Chi. I always leave the class feeling amazing.

There is more info here if you want to know more about it but i really think it is a great class because it kinda focus on everything.

http://w3.lesmills.com/global/en/classes/bodybalance/about-bodybalance/