WHY am I so hungry an hour after I eat Chinese???

Options
Hi,

I searched for this but couldn't find a topic with the answers already.

I am trying to teach myself what a healthy portion size is, and connecting the way I FEEL in my belly and mind after I consume a meal with 300-500 cals versus a meal with 600 + calories. I feel really full and heavy after the larger calorie size and usually it holds me for a few hours.

But today, when I input my take out chinese lunch of (white meat, steamed) pork & chicken fried rice (about a cup and a half) and an egg roll (about 170) the total meal was what I and MFP figured to be around 700 cals, why am I SOOOOO hungry an hour after I eat that amount of calories??? I thought perhaps it was the sodium content (knowing chinese food is high in it) and my tummy was actually growling for water...and I have drunk and drunk, and the growl doesn't go away!!!

I have always had this happen with chinese food...any ideas???

Replies

• JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know has the same problem. I can eat everything on my plate, and be starved an hour after. Interested to see if there is a reason!
  • vikkij12
    Options
    I know what you mean, I love it but am never full afterwards. Although having said that at the local chinese place, a scallian pancake and 6 steamed pork dumplings make me full.
  • fowlmeli1093
    Options
    Its the carbs! You picked a healthier choice though..so its hard to say..but usually if I go eat chinese..I eat horribly..everthings glazed in some sort of devilish sugary sauce..or breaded...so its easy to get super full and be starvin an hour later...Carbs are used up faster...and I swear they are like a drug...make you hungry for more!!!
  • lulu_beans
    lulu_beans Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had the Chicken and Broccoli with steamed rice and garlic sauce for lunch. It was probably a 2 cup serving. MFP has it calculated around 350 calories for the whole meal, and I am not hungry (about 3 hours later). I think it might have to do with fiber. Try adding in some high fiber veggies with your chinese, or ordering some steamed broccoli to go with. If I order extra broccoli, I can get two meals out of it...and then I save calories and money :)

Good luck!!!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Fiber + protein is what keeps your appetite in check. Sounds like you got the protein, but not necessarily the fiber.
  • Darkraiven
    Darkraiven Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes! It's all the loads of carbs and sugars, and little to no protein. You get either lots of rice, noodles, breaded meats which have little to no meat in them... things in the sauces to make them thicker ( more starches ) and veggies.

If you could pile up the proper portion of meat and veggies and carbs... you might do better and be less hungry. Not typically possible in the Chinese food choices.

I prefer Sushi and Sashimi-Teppan veggies and the like... I know, not everyone's fave ...but there I can get the protein I need and control my rice/carb intake better.

But I DO love good chinese food on occassion ... Good luck!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You most likely feel better with a meal with more meat. You would do well with staying away from white rice, white bread, and simple sugars.
  • becomingsara
    Options
    HAH!!! Fantastic!!!!
    Thank you allll soooooo very much! Yes that seems absolutely right...I am missing the fiber.
    This is exciting.
    I love this site!!!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I've also heard that it's because of the Umami (sp?). Umami is supposedly the thing that makes you feel full to start, but wears off. It's a savoury taste (MSG is one of the biggest umami creators, hence the addition of it to food).

I don't know how much this is true. It's probably more related to lack of fibre.
  • cycle4fun
    Options
    Everyone I know has the same problem. I can eat everything on my plate, and be starved an hour after. Interested to see if there is a reason!

Quite funny yeah. I know a Chinese couple who have the same problem after eating hamburger and fries. One hour later they are starving! Weird......