How to do a weight / body fat cut while strength training?

Options
2»

Replies

• lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I would think you might want to see a doctor to find out if there is a medical reason you are gaining weight with that caloric intake.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    or buy a food scale and measuring cups if you don't have one. i'm pretty sure a lot of people that say they are eating at a certain calorie level and not meeting thier goals may not be doing everything they can to measure thier calories accurately.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I was eating at a surplus and gained doing 5x5...no biggie...I just added some cardio...20-30 min of circuit/interval training, cardio and reduced the intensity of stronglifts to 3x5 with the same weight...

well that kind of defeats the purpose of eating at a surplus no?

lol. if the goal is to gain mass, your going to gain some fat with it.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I was eating at a surplus and gained doing 5x5...no biggie...I just added some cardio...20-30 min of circuit/interval training, cardio and reduced the intensity of stronglifts to 3x5 with the same weight...

well that kind of defeats the purpose of eating at a surplus no?

lol. if the goal is to gain mass, your going to gain some fat with it.

yeah I know...I wanted to gain some mass/just informing OP he can follow the same program and lose as well
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Cut out all liquid calories. Drink all of the water you want to. Eliminate carbs from your diet. Eat eggs,chicken,fish,turkey,cuts of lean red meat and drop your calories some. three ways to lose weight

1. eat less
    2. eat cleaner ( cut out carbs )
    3. burn more calories

do all three of these and you will reach your goal.

Strong broscience on #2 bro

going by his avatar he looks pretty strong...I'd take advice from him

lol.... strong logic.

1. Who says that's him?
    2. There are large and lean guys out there that consume a high large abundance of carbs
    3. From a weight perspective I'm smaller than a large portion of the guys in my gym, yet my lift's outperform them

I can go on, but I'm sure you get my point. Anecdotal at best.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Cut out all liquid calories. Drink all of the water you want to. Eliminate carbs from your diet. Eat eggs,chicken,fish,turkey,cuts of lean red meat and drop your calories some. three ways to lose weight

1. eat less
    3. burn more calories

lol.... strong logic.

1. Who says that's him?
    2. There are large and lean guys out there that consume a high large abundance of carbs
    3. From a weight perspective I'm smaller than a large portion of the guys in my gym, yet my lift's outperform them

actually somewhat true.

harvard study last year took identical calorie diets, but different macro breakdowns. The high carb group lost the least weight. by a good amount too..

Eat less carbs is good advice when people are eating high carb. And when I was training, 100% of my clients all ate high carb. It was astonishing when I got diet sheets back just how unbalanced everyones macro breakdown was. Even when they thought they were eating clean.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    While cutting, you may need to reduce your volume. E.g. 3 sets per exercise instead of 5. You'll have to start cutting to find out.

The purpose of weight training during a cut is to retain muscle mass. Try not lose strength on any of your lifts during your cut. You may even be able to gain some strength, if you are a new trainee.
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options

1. eat less
    3. burn more calories

more bro science.....based on genetics different people respond to different macro ratios for the day. Carbs DO make people retain water weight; however, some people WILL lose faster eating fewer carbs/fat/protein than others simply because their body reacts better to other things. The water weight lost from cutting carbs is barely noticeable, and if you are lifting heavy on a super low carb diet without a refeed day periodically to get back that glycogen (and water weight), you will end up feeling really weak and miserable.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Eat less carbs is good advice when people are eating high carb. And when I was training, 100% of my clients all ate high carb. It was astonishing when I got diet sheets back just how unbalanced everyones macro breakdown was. Even when they thought they were eating clean.

Interesting isn't it. Define "clean"!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

1. eat less
    3. burn more calories

lol.... strong logic.

1. Who says that's him?

actually somewhat true.

harvard study last year took identical calorie diets, but different macro breakdowns. The high carb group lost the least weight. by a good amount too..

In to see if the mentioned study gets linked. Would like to read it.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    ^ x2.

In for study on overweight populations that didn't exercise. zzzzzz
  • LolBroScience
    Options

1. eat less
    3. burn more calories

lol.... strong logic.

1. Who says that's him?

actually somewhat true.

High carb means not clean?
  • tdelo7634
    tdelo7634 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Increase weights if you can. Build more muscle, and therefore burn more fat. I am 5'7, and Eat 1800 across the board to loose bodyfat, and 2200, and 2400ish when trying to bulk.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

1. eat less
    3. burn more calories

more bro science.....based on genetics different people respond to different macro ratios for the day. Carbs DO make people retain water weight; however, some people WILL lose faster eating fewer carbs/fat/protein than others simply because their body reacts better to other things. The water weight lost from cutting carbs is barely noticeable, and if you are lifting heavy on a super low carb diet without a refeed day periodically to get back that glycogen (and water weight), you will end up feeling really weak and miserable.

genetics please....put in the work...Train hard...no excuses...we have to find ways around our weaknesses
  • LolBroScience
    Options

1. eat less
    3. burn more calories

genetics please....put in the work...Train hard...no excuses...we have to find ways around our weaknesses

Clearly you misinterpreted what he had said... he wasn't making an excuse for genetics. He was saying certain macros ratio's effect everyone differently.