BMR- what does it mean in weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    BMR stands for basal metabolic rate. It is the minimum amount needed to healthily sustain someone of your height, weight, age, and gender at a sedentary activity level without risking health. An easy way to remember it is BMR = Bare Minimum Requirements.

A lot of people who answer this, such as this person:
    Your net consumption needs to be below your BMR for you to lose fat. Calories in-calories out should be negative, and calories out is your BMR + your exercise.

Confuse BMR for TDEE, which is the source of a lot of misinformation on this site.

It should be noted that the more active you are the more you need to focus on staying above your BMR by a substantial amount.

Just remember BMR as standing for Bare Minimum Requirements and you're golden.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You have to eat ABOVE your BMR,
    No, you don't. I regularly net below BMR and I probably work out more intensily than a lot of people on this board saying that BMR is a magic health problem number.
    You *could* do 1250, but your body still won't get the full calories it needs to function once you get out of bed and start moving around.
    Your body doesn't need calories to function; it needs proteins, carbohydrates, and fats to function which all release energy when used in metabolism, in addition to vitamins and minerals for enzymes to keep allow your body to keep conducting metabolic processes.

Calories is a convenient measure to find out if you are eating enough on a macro scale and the daily recommended intake is based upon getting the correct ratio of the above compounds, but it isn't what your body actually needs. If I ate 2000 calories of just carbs, I would eventually succumb to muscle atrophy; if I ate 2000 calories of just amino acids then my brain and muscles wouldn't have the glucose they needs to function properly. Your body has mechanisms to compensate for minor shortages of any of the above, but calories in a vacuum is actually a relatively meaningless number when it comes to physical health and the nutrients your body needs.

In fact, you can calculate how much you *actually* need by multiplying your LBM (in kg) by 1.2 to find out how many g of protein you need, and then multiplying your LBM (in kg) by 3-5 to find out how many g of carbs you need, depending on how active you are (athletes would need to do 7-10 g/lbm). Multiply each number by 4 cal/g and that's how many calories you need to survive. So for me (130 lb LBM @ 18% bodyfat):

70.9 g protein * 4 cal/g + 177 g carbs * 4 cal/g + 40 g fat * 9 cal/g = 1353 calories minimum to survive with a regular exercise routine, which is well below my supposed BMR of 1650. If I use my entire bodyweight for carb intake, the number goes to 1504 calories. And that's because BMR is the amount of energy you need to sustain your weight if you slept all day; it is NOT the bare minimum requirements of caloric intake for metabolic processes. If I took out strength training and running 6x a week, I could survive with 1/2 - 2/3 the amount of calories from protein and lower carb intake to 2 g/lbm and be perfectly healthy (I would almost certainly have to supplement this with a multivitamin because I'm not getting all my nutrients from food, but that's besides the point).
    Just remember BMR as standing for Bare Minimum Requirements and you're golden... It is the minimum amount needed to healthily sustain someone of your height, weight, age, and gender at a sedentary activity level without risking health.
    It doesn't stand for Bare Minimum Requirements. It stands for Basal Metabolic Rate, which is the amount of energy you would consume by doing nothing but sleeping. Your definition is an incorrect inference based off BMR, which is that somehow your body will break down if you go below this magic number, and is the source of widespread misinformation on this site.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Just remember BMR as standing for Bare Minimum Requirements and you're golden... It is the minimum amount needed to healthily sustain someone of your height, weight, age, and gender at a sedentary activity level without risking health.
    It doesn't stand for Bare Minimum Requirements. It stands for Basal Metabolic Rate, which is the amount of energy you would consume by doing nothing but sleeping. Your definition is an incorrect inference based off BMR, which is that somehow your body will break down if you go below this magic number, and is the source of widespread misinformation on this site.

You did not read my whole post. I said clearly it stands for basal metabolic rate.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You have to eat ABOVE your BMR,
    No, you don't. I regularly net below BMR and I probably work out more intensily than a lot of people on this board saying that BMR is a magic health problem number.
    You *could* do 1250, but your body still won't get the full calories it needs to function once you get out of bed and start moving around.
    Your body doesn't need calories to function; it needs proteins, carbohydrates, and fats to function which all release energy when used in metabolism, in addition to vitamins and minerals for enzymes to keep allow your body to keep conducting metabolic processes.

Calories is a convenient measure to find out if you are eating enough on a macro scale and the daily recommended intake is based upon getting the correct ratio of the above compounds, but it isn't what your body actually needs. If I ate 2000 calories of just carbs, I would eventually succumb to muscle atrophy; if I ate 2000 calories of just amino acids then my brain and muscles wouldn't have the glucose they needs to function properly. Your body has mechanisms to compensate for minor shortages of any of the above, but calories in a vacuum is actually a relatively meaningless number when it comes to physical health and the nutrients your body needs.

In fact, you can calculate how much you *actually* need by multiplying your LBM (in kg) by 1.2 to find out how many g of protein you need, and then multiplying your LBM (in kg) by 3-5 to find out how many g of carbs you need, depending on how active you are (athletes would need to do 7-10 g/lbm). Multiply each number by 4 cal/g and that's how many calories you need to survive. So for me (130 lb LBM @ 18% bodyfat):

70.9 g protein * 4 cal/g + 177 g carbs * 4 cal/g + 40 g fat * 9 cal/g = 1353 calories minimum to survive with a regular exercise routine, which is well below my supposed BMR of 1650. If I use my entire bodyweight for carb intake, the number goes to 1504 calories. And that's because BMR is the amount of energy you need to sustain your weight if you slept all day; it is NOT the bare minimum requirements of caloric intake for metabolic processes. If I took out strength training and running 6x a week, I could survive with 1/2 - 2/3 the amount of calories from protein and lower carb intake to 2 g/lbm and be perfectly healthy (I would almost certainly have to supplement this with a multivitamin because I'm not getting all my nutrients from food, but that's besides the point).
    Well, if she weren't confused by the way we tried to simplify it before, I'm pretty sure this post completely threw her off her stride. Yes, I'm sure we understand the differences that you just pointed out. However, for those who are completely confused by it in the first place, sometimes simplifying the definitions a bit is a little easier.

Thank you for pointing out how stupid we all are by attempting to help someone comprehend a difficult subject. And I'm positive she knows exactly what her LBM is and what it stands for so the exact calculations can be made. Very helpful. Thanks.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Well, if she weren't confused by the way we tried to simplify it before, I'm pretty sure this post completely threw her off her stride. Yes, I'm sure we understand the differences that you just pointed out. However, for those who are completely confused by it in the first place, sometimes simplifying the definitions a bit is a little easier.

Thank you for pointing out how stupid we all are by attempting to help someone comprehend a difficult subject. And I'm positive she knows exactly what her LBM is and what it stands for so the exact calculations can be made. Very helpful. Thanks.

Simplifying something to the point that it's flat out wrong (e.g. bmr can be thought of as bare min requirement for daily calories) doesn't do anyone any good. It just spreads misinformation. Then when sedentary people say they're not losing weight but don't want to go below bmr, the peanut gallery tells them to eat more. Then they gain weight and give up. That's certainly helpful isn't it?

The bare nuts and bolts is use a tdee calculator and subtract 500 cal for every lb per week. Not working and you're sure you are tracking food accurately? The tdee calc is off and subtract another 250 for a couple weeks. If you do that and have a varied diet, you WILL eat everything your body needs. Don't even worry about BMR. If you want to know why you don't need to worry about BMR, read my post. It explains it in plain English that people without inferiority complexes can easily understand.

Also, I don't find the subject particularly complex, and it's certainly not beyond the ability for most people to understand. It's made complex by a small but vocal minority of people who "simplify" definitions to the point that it's wrong. On the flip side, people who don't understand it shouldn't be giving others advice.

It's also not rocket science to figure out lean body mass: you multiply your weight by (100-bf%). Everyone who is aiming to diet healthily should have done this because MFPs macros are wrong by default and do not account for body composition or activity level.

You should give people more credit.