Late night eating

Options
The worst about my horrible eating habits is my late night eating. I'm trying to replace the candy and chips with fruit and veg - anybody have any tips or advice? Any healthy sweets to curb cravings?

Replies

• Caliban036
    Options
    I like to eat cherry tomatos and string cheese after dinner. Also try to eat dried fruit (banana chips). Late night is a killer for me especially when there is a game on.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Just stock up on lots of healthy foods like your doing. Or save some of your calories for the night time

I notice when I work out late at the gym (8pm til 10pm) I end up waking up at 2am as I am hungry, and normally eat a bowl of cereal, nuts, dry ryvita's

Why not have low fat yoghurts and fruit for your sweet cravings? Low fat cereal bars, popcorn I think is low fat? Baked low calorie crisps etc
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I just eat candy and chips at night. That's what I like.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Pop corn and ice cream here :)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I know I want candy and chips at night so I leave room. I don't eat breakfast most days so it's easy. Last night Doritos tonight Skor bar. I seem to be doing alright on this system. There are better reasons to feel guilty.
  • conleys26
    conleys26 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Pop corn and ice cream here :)

Ice cream is my favorite and I just found out I'm kind of "becoming" lactose intolerant. So at least that takes of the dairy!

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    plan for it and make room for it in your daily goals. meal timing/snack timing is completely irrelevant. so long as you're getting your requisite nutrtion during the day, who cares if you have some candy in the evening. Personally, I drink beer as my "evening snack" but I get my nutrition on during the day and hit my goals and rock my fitness so it's no biggie.
  • jema_b98
    jema_b98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If I have to have something sweet, I get the dark chocolate hershey's kisses and eat 2 of them. It gives me the satisfaction of having something but small enough not to throw off my whole day.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This last week I have had problems with wanting to eat late. I'm trying to save some calories to eat late, because some nights I just can't resist. I try eat nuts or fruit.
  • johngypsy
    johngypsy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ice cream and chips is it for me. Fortunately (depending on your perspective) for me, I am lactose intolerant, so that pretty much takes of the ice cream binge, but chips - OMG. I do all of the grocery shopping, so I don't bring them into the house. I try to eat a large healthy breakfast, snack on fruit during the day and eat a healthy lunch, and before I eat dinner I always know how many calories I have left. That helps me to be a bit more responsible (not much, but every bit counts). I just think long term about how nice it will be to wear clothes that compliment me, and usually that helps.
  • Tallan4
    Options
    I am right there with you, trying to eat fruit or yogurt instead of junk. I love to eat at night, I have a little girl and after she goes to sleep it is my chillin time.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    plan for it and make room for it in your daily goals. meal timing/snack timing is completely irrelevant. so long as you're getting your requisite nutrtion during the day, who cares if you have some candy in the evening. Personally, I drink beer as my "evening snack" but I get my nutrition on during the day and hit my goals and rock my fitness so it's no biggie.
    Yep. I have strawberry shortcake every night, chips sometimes too and I rarely go over my calorie goals.
  • RunningSwede
    RunningSwede Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When the late night munch monster attacks I hit it with light exercise like a couple laps around the block. Clears the mind. Good luck!
  • NadDrew
    NadDrew Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too and my tips, I'm having my dinner as late as possible and maybe that sounds a bit silly but I have an alarm at 8:00 pm to tell me no more eating after that time...it does help
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth...seems to do the trick...weird but it works.....and I too have a late supper , usually around 7 - 7:30
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I usually have either: protein shake with whole milk or a small bag of popcorn. Both seem to do the trick!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    if i ghave the calories, which i usually do, i eat either a pudding cup or a mini ice cream sandwich or both! or a quest bar. if i dont have many calories ill have a piece of fruit.
  • hsteynhorne
    hsteynhorne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love chips and have replaced them with baked kale chips- a good substitute. Air popped popcorn for a movie is good and if you want to keep your hands busy, edemame beans are good because you have to work to get those suckers out of the pod. Best of luck!
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Like Jenna - I brush my teeth And Floss around 7 or 8. I really don't want to have to do that all again! So far - that works. And like others - i will leave a little room to have something before that time - if i really have to. I don't usually eat all of my exercise calories back as i don't know how accurate that is - so i am usually leaving some room. Ice cream doesn't come into the house! If i could be sensible and have a sensible portion - that would be ok - But i can't!
  • St_Paul
    St_Paul Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    OK - here's what you do: Go to the store, get a nice head of broccoli, put it in your fridge. When it's night time and you're hungry, open your fridge, envision eating the broccoli. IF you're actually hungry, you'll eat the broccoli. If the broccoli doesn't sound good to you, you're not acually hungry - you're just in the habit of eating 'something'. Close the fridge. Works for me!