Keeping my weight, but still getting rid of the fat?

Options
I lost all the weight I wanted to lose without looking weird on the top part of my body. I am now at 52 kgs at height 1.70 m but STILL I have lost of cellulite on my thighs. I have been on a 1630 cal diet until now for the past 4 weeks (before that I was on a 1400 cal for two months and I lost around 5 kgs). I am at minus 1200 calories per week from running that I almost never eat back. I also do pilates once or twice a week. I eat under 40% carbs even though I run and sometimes I really feel the need for them. I do a renutrition day on Sunday, when I have my longest run, but I don't eat that much over the mark, just more carbs. I found that if I eat things that have too much cholesterol (like red meat), or are fried or fat, I really don't feel good the next day. I don't know what I can do to maintain my weight and still get rid of the fat from my thighs . Now I lowered my cal intake at 1500 and I thought I should just lose as much as it takes for that to subside and then I will put it back from eating healthy and maybe it won't be cellulite again. But I know there's a risk of getting sick.
Is there a better way to get rid of the fat? Would strenght training help? From what I understood, strenght training doesn't really help reduce fat. Help?

Replies

• timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

... snip...

Is there a better way to get rid of the fat? Would strenght training help? From what I understood, strenght training doesn't really help reduce fat. Help?

Exercising, in and of itself, doesn't really help reduce fat. That comes from a calorie deficit. Strength training helps you retain your muscle mass, which has several benefits, one is that muscle burns more calories per pound than fat, so it keeps your BMR higher, another is that it makes you look better naked .

It sounds like you've gotten to the point that a lot of people refer to as "skinny-fat." Your weight is where you want it to be, but you still carry around some excess fat. This happens a lot to people whose only exercise is cardio. Weight training is pretty much the only way for you to achieve the body type it sounds like you want.

Pick up the book Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training and go from there.
  • NadDrew
    NadDrew Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I do strenght training, cardio and I run too and it does help, it says that with strenght training you are burning calories a couple hours afterwards, I've lost a lot of weight and maintaining is easier for me if I workout 6 days a week but now I try to do only 30 minutes a day because if I do more I eat more....it is not a good idea if you lower your calores intakes...just do more training for your lower body, patience & time will get results.

Nad..
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend getting your bodyfat % measured and start focusing on reducing that number and not the scale. The BEST way to do this is by adding weight and resistance training to your routine! Building muscle will not cause you to get "bulky" rather it will give you a toned and slimmer appearance, in addition to multiple health benefits!
  • timbrom
    Options
    Oh, and you'll probably want to start eating a bit more once you start weights, maybe around 1800 calories. Get at least 125-150 grams of protein. I wouldn't stress too much about the carbs, you'll need those to fuel your workouts.

You'll probably gain some weight at the beginning, it's just water retention caused by your muscles healing, don't worry about it. Your BMI is around 18 right now, so you're technically underweight and could probably stand to gain a few lbs anyhow. If you're worried about this, go to the success stories section and search for stories from woman who gained weight. There's a bunch of woman on here who put on 5-10 kg lifting, and look fabulous because of it.
  • poopsiekitten
    Options
    Thank you for your answers! I will add some strenght trainining, but I would still keep my cardio as my goal is to run the half-marathon in spring. Is there a way of doing this balanced? I am currently running around 22 km per week. As I had never run in my life until 5 months ago, I still have a long way to go. But I did notice that my performance is decreasing lately and I guess it's because I started losing muscle.

I would honestly love to gain some nice looking weight. I've always been skinny until these extra kgs I gained in the past two years from having a sedentary life and eating unhealthily and it showed.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I know you will get this a lot if you end up hanging around MFP, but I would recommend strength training and again a progressively heavy lifting program. It may be that you don't actually need to lose fat but rather gain muscle. I was happy with my weight loss, but now am ecstatic with the muscle definition from lifting--which for me is a big deal because I have always felt self conscious of my looks my entire life. The next step for me now is actually increasing my calories to help even further with strength gains.
  • timbrom
    Options
    Thank you for your answers! I will add some strenght trainining, but I would still keep my cardio as my goal is to run the half-marathon in spring. Is there a way of doing this balanced? I am currently running around 22 km per week. As I had never run in my life until 5 months ago, I still have a long way to go. But I did notice that my performance is decreasing lately and I guess it's because I started losing muscle.

I would honestly love to gain some nice looking weight. I've always been skinny until these extra kgs I gained in the past two years from having a sedentary life and eating unhealthily and it showed.

I'd still very much recommend picking up a copy of Starting Strength. You won't be able to completely "Do The Program" if you're still doing LISS cardio, but it will teach you a lot about lifting, proper form, and should give you some idea of the programming you need.

As to specifics, I just lift so I can't give any insight into how to program marathon training with a weight program. You should probably check out the Eat Train Progress (ETP) group on here for more information there.

Edit to add: If performance is decreasing, then you aren't recovering properly. Recovery is vitally important, since without proper recovery you won't ever get better. The most common causes of poor recovery for a relative beginner is not eating enough/properly and not getting enough sleep. Up the calories for a bit, and see how you feel.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Most people above me have said it anyways but I am sort of in the same position as you, i've reached my desired weight loss however i'm not entirely happy with my body shape (my upper tummy to be percise). I started strength training classes 4 weeks ago and I have to say already i'm noticing some change, very small but i'm already beginning to look that bit more toned, previous to the strength classes I was doing some bodyweight work.

I'm reading the starting strength programme now, it is so useful I see others have recommended it. For me though the classes have been so helpful because I just felt even more reassured having a trainer there with me for proper form but as many have on here this is definitely something you can teach yourself - its up to you how you go about it! :) I'm not so watchful of the scale though at the moment as i'm going by how i look in the mirror and body measurements. I'm eating at maintenance on training days and at a slight deficit -10% on other days to still loose that bit of fat around my tummy, as i get more serious into the training i know i will probably have to up my cals to support my workouts but for now this seems to be working for me. Best of luck with it! :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I am maintaining but literally still "shrinking" ... my body continues to tighten with less flab as I continue to keeping my exercise up... it just takes time ...
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Same situation.

May 6, 2013 185 lbs 16% BF

bodyimage20130508.jpg

Aug 16, 2013. I started weight training and maintained 185 lbs. BF% went down to 13%.

20130816frontshot.jpg

I have since started a cut to 180 lbs and am even leaner than that. But I look ripped, not skinny.

Tom
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Looks awesome, Tomcornhole. I sure hope that is what is happening to me! LOL - I can't get the scales to move, but my pants are getting baggy...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I am maintaining but literally still "shrinking" ... my body continues to tighten with less flab as I continue to keeping my exercise up... it just takes time ...

Me too. I lost an inch off my waist last month, but not a pound. I am fairly certain my thighs are thinner too.
  • poopsiekitten
    Options
    Thank you again for all your inputs. I will maybe include some weights in my Pilates routine that I do twice a week and see from there. I have none, what would you recommend for starting? I have been thinking about buying some kettle bells for a while.

But I am really not interested in doing much lifting, honestly. I love running and I would like to keep that as my primary exercise. I worked in organizing marathons and all the runners I know have an amazing body. I am convinced I need to keep the exercise up.

Maybe I will consider going to the gym when it gets too cold for running. But I couldn't afford it now, so...