98% Delicious, 2% Yuck!

Options
I need help....trying to add an additional serving of protein to my day (already getting more than 1 g/1 lb LBM, but want more).

I tried mixing coffee with whey protein powder, heavy cream, and some vanilla today. The first 4-5 sips were amazing, but after that, I got the ruber pencil eraser curd stuff that tasted like crap....what did I do wrong?! I used my Ninja system single serve adapter thing. 98% delicious taste, 2% clumpy gross texture.

Please help....it was almost a win, but ended up as a fail.

Replies

• nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work with hot liquids. You need to mix it in cold stuff.... Bummer I know
  • StrictlyPro
    Options
    eat moar food?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've hear of people mixing it with the milk first, then adding to coffee.
  • CurlySue8403
    Options
    Maybe try blending the powder with the heavy cream first to mix well then add the coffee afterwards?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've only mixed it with cold liquids, but I have found that mixing protein powder with just a tiny bit of the liquid to make a thin paste-like consistency first eliminates the clumps when I add the rest of liquid.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I throw it in the blender with iced coffee.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I need help....trying to add an additional serving of protein to my day (already getting more than 1 g/1 lb LBM, but want more).

I tried mixing coffee with whey protein powder, heavy cream, and some vanilla today. The first 4-5 sips were amazing, but after that, I got the ruber pencil eraser curd stuff that tasted like crap....what did I do wrong?! I used my Ninja system single serve adapter thing. 98% delicious taste, 2% clumpy gross texture.

Please help....it was almost a win, but ended up as a fail.

It may just be your brand of protein, there are brands out there that taste pretty awesome even just i water
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I add the instant coffee granules and it works
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen when I mix whey protein in my coffee in a thermos rather than in a paper coffee cup. I have no idea why that would be true, but when I mix it in the plastic thermos it just stays all clumpy. In a paper cup it mixes beautifully. complete mystery to me.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

I prepare my own protein shake in the blender

1 measure of whey protein isolate
    1 banana
    1 cup of skim milk

It works for me
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    It's the heat. Messes with powder. If you mix it with cold liquid first it won't clump.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Mine ALWAYS did that if the coffee was warm. My suggestion is to either use cooled coffee or mix all of the other ingredients (plus ice) then slowly add in the coffee. Espresso is even better since the coffee flavor is stronger. Instant works well, too. Now I want one... lol
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I use vanilla creme muscle milk, room temp coffee and ice. If you use hot coffee it will just be in liquid form no nice ice slush that i love. So i have to be patient to wait for the coffee to cool :)
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Half a frozen banana + 2 shots chilled espresso + 1C almond milk + 3 ice cubes + chocolate protein powder. Blitz. Delish.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound despicable to some of you... bear with me... seitan. It can be seasoned, fried, baked or eaten raw... but it's 99% protein.

at 21 grams per ounce (source: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/7738/1) it's a protein source that can't be beat. Note the nutritionals are for vital wheat gluten... seitan is simply dough made from wheat gluten and then cooked.

Good luck.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I whisk the whey into hot coffee in a bowl then pour into mug for no lumps.:drinker:
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound despicable to some of you... bear with me... seitan. It can be seasoned, fried, baked or eaten raw... but it's 99% protein.

at 21 grams per ounce (source: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/7738/1) it's a protein source that can't be beat. Note the nutritionals are for vital wheat gluten... seitan is simply dough made from wheat gluten and then cooked.

Good luck.

Unfortunately I can't eat gluten :sad:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've hear of people mixing it with the milk first, then adding to coffee.

this
    mix protein with cold milk, add to the coffee - works perfect
    if you like your coffee really hot, just microvawe for 30 sec after you add milk to the coffee
  • Tom6969
    Tom6969 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why are you wanting more protein than you can use?.....