Working towards a Pull-Up when I can't do Negatives???

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
I am not strong enough to hold my body weight to do negatives in order to work towards a full pull-up. Instead, I have been using the standing wide-grip lat pulldown on the cable machine, setting it as heavy as possible where I can still pull it down (currently 120 lbs), pulling it down to about my shoulders, holding as long as possible, and then releasing as slowly as possible to hopefully perform the same method as a negative pull-up to start strengthening those muscles.

Is this the best method to use? Are there other exercises that would help expedite the process? I am increasing weight as I can with the goal of passing my body weight so that I could then theoretically do a pull up on my own. In my head, this makes sense, but I'm not sure that this is the best way.

Replies

• Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have an assisted pull-up machine? It has a lever to put your feet or knees on to help lift some of your bodyweight for you and you adjust the weight. You can use it for pull-ups, chin-ups or dips.
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You could add some rows to your workout, that should hit your lats, rhomboids and some other supporting muscle groups that will be used in pull- ups as well. Make sure you go for full contraction, squeeze your shoulder blades together with each rep.
    Could also try cheating, use a chair or step to support yourself while you're doing negatives
  • JTick
    Options
    We do have the assisted pull up, but I feel like it still allows me to rely too much on the help. I also feel it much more in the right places when I am able to stand rather than having my knees up.

I forgot to mention in the op, I am doing stronglifts 5x5 so I am doing rows.
  • flet2
    Options
    What hand position are you using when you try negatives? If you use the narrower underhand grip you can rely on your biceps more and will probably be easier to support yourself than with a wide overhand grip. Also, have you tried inverted rows?
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Do you have assisted pull-up bands at your gym? I just came across these and found out how to use them. It's harder than the assisted but a lot easier than regular pull-ups. It just requires a bit of set-up.
  • JTick
    Options
    What hand position are you using when you try negatives? If you use the narrower underhand grip you can rely on your biceps more and will probably be easier to support yourself than with a wide overhand grip. Also, have you tried inverted rows?

I am overhand...I'm wanting a pull-up rather than a chin up. And no, I haven't heard of inverted rows, but I will Google them. Thanks!
  • JTick
    Options
    Do you have assisted pull-up bands at your gym? I just came across these and found out how to use them. It's harder than the assisted but a lot easier than regular pull-ups. It just requires a bit of set-up.

No, we don't. :( Which stinks, because I really like those!
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Go to NerdFitness.com and read about how to train to do a pullup. It is pretty awesome and the way I learned.
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Why not use the assisted pullup machine then. Sounds pretty simple to me.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    JTick it sounds like you are doing it right to me. Static holds, slow negatives on lat pull downs will help. Rows and SL compound upper body work is good. If you don't have the assisted machines I'd just keep pushing yourself on the other things.
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning has a series of movements to build up to pull up.

You could also google Marks Daily Apple for how to do pull up progressions.
  • JTick
    Options
    JTick it sounds like you are doing it right to me. Static holds, slow negatives on lat pull downs will help. Rows and SL compound upper body work is good. If you don't have the assisted machines I'd just keep pushing yourself on the other things.

Thanks for the input...I do have an assisted machine, but I just don't like it. It feels unnatural, the grip isn't right, and I spend more time trying to find the correct counter weight than I do actually working out. It seems to me, the standing lat pulldown is the same idea, with a much simpler approach. I just wasn't sure if there were other exercises that I should be adding in to reach my goal faster, or a completely different approach than negatives I should consider.
  • _liftnlove
    Options
    Assisted pull-up machine is the obvious answer...yes, you rely on the "help", but hey, at this point you need it, so there's no problem with that. Pull-ups are HARD, so cut yourself some slack, it's going to take time. Most of the people I see doing them don't do full ROM either, which is lame IMO...You should go to a dead hang at the bottom of every rep. You need to increase total back strength to be able to do them, so don't forget about Lat-pulldowns, Close-Grip Pulldowns, Deadlifts, T-Bar Rows, Barbell Rows, Dumbbell Rows, Seated Cable Rows, etc. TOTAL back/upper body strength is what's needed to get you to a pull-up.

My goal is 4 x10 pull-ups for my 40th bday (3 1/2 years from now). Right now I can do 5 wide-grip pullups in a row if I'm fresh, but it quickly dwindles to 3, 2, 1...by the 4th set....so lot's of work to do, but it will happen. Negative chin-ups will help you develop your strength too...that's where I started when I couldn't do a chin-up yet (now I can do 8-9 in a row, which is still hard for me to believe...)

Best wishes!! :)
  • JTick
    Options
    Convict Conditioning has a series of movements to build up to pull up.

You could also google Marks Daily Apple for how to do pull up progressions.

Thanks, I'll check those out :)
  • flet2
    Options
    A chin up uses the same major muscles though, it's a good way to work your way up. Once you can do negative chin-ups, you'll be a heck of a lot closer to a negative pull up.Then move to neutral grip (palms facing each other) then eventually to the full pull up position. I usually do drop sets like that- start with wide grip pull ups, then a set of neutral, then finally chin-ups to finish myself off.
  • JTick
    Options
    A chin up uses the same major muscles though, it's a good way to work your way up. Once you can do negative chin-ups, you'll be a heck of a lot closer to a negative pull up.Then move to neutral grip (palms facing each other) then eventually to the full pull up position. I usually do drop sets like that- start with wide grip pull ups, then a set of neutral, then finally chin-ups to finish myself off.

Okay, that makes sense. I will definitely start incorporating those as well. Thanks!