Are you an expert outdoor griller? Well, I need you!

Options
mommabenefield
mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
Anyone and everyone (who consider's themselves expert grillers) help me out here.

I can grill to my taste easily, I don't mind an over cooked piece of meat but that's just me, its my husband that i cant seem to grill very well for!

I have tried several time to cook chicken quarters- either over or under cooked every time
Steak - forget it, always comes out waaay too tough for him
Fish- Never tried it outdoors but i would like to.
What is 'enough' when seasoning, I feel like i over season things but they always seem to be bland for him.

I need your best grilling tips help me please!
I am really wanting to cook him a nice steak dinner one of these evenings without screwing it up.

Thanks!

P.s, I have a charcoal/wood grill... we have all but stopped using charcoal and just been using wood.

Replies

• gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    if you dont have a good meat thermometer use the finger test, http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/the_finger_test_to_check_the_doneness_of_meat/
    steak seasoning, well it is all what your taste is. i have used soy, teriyaki, hidden valley ranch, montreal, salt & pepper, cumin, you name it. a good seasoned salt an pepper seasoning will do wonders if you let it sit. let the steak get almost room temp before grilling.
    i do chicken quarters/legs/thighs all the time, use a thermometer. otherwise it is guess work. low and slow. can take an hour and continually baste with vinegar, butter, Worcestershire sauce. but i check with a instant read digital thermometer.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting a thermometer as well. It really helps. I do the cooking for my family, and since the oven is out of commission while our kitchen is getting redone, I've had to learn to use the grill. A thermometer takes a lot of guess work out of grilling. Just stick the thermometer so that the tip is in the thickest part of the meat. For steaks, if you want it medium rare, take the steaks off the grill when the thermometer reads 125 (or 130 for medium) and let it rest for about 10 minutes to finish cooking and retain its juices. For chicken, I find its most tender and moist when it reaches 155. The USDA recommends that you cook it to 165 in order to kill any bacteria, but whenever I cook chicken to that temperature it always ends up a bit over cooked.

For both chicken and red meat, I find its best to make a two heat fire; basically, pile the wood so that it burns on one side of the grill. Let the grill heat up. Sear the meat until well browned over the hot side of the grill, and then move it to the cool side of the grill to finish cooking. Once you've moved it to the cooler side of the grill, insert your thermometer and cover the grill. Once the meat reaches the right temp, remove it from the grill.

When grilling chicken, a brine can make a world of difference. For chicken pieces, like thighs and especially breasts, soaking it in a salt water solution for about 40 minutes just before grilling helps keep the chicken moist and flavorful.

Buying cuts of meat with the bone in will make it more tender and flavorful. Buying chicken with the skin on will also help protect it from the heat of the grill.