New Clothes

Options
At what point did you break down and buy new clothes? I'm down 50lbs, and i still have about 30 to go. I can fit into a size 14/16, but a lot of my clothes are still size 18. I've been so use to wearing baggy clothes, that i still wear my "fat" clothes. I want to go out and buy new ones, but with more weight to go...i want to wait till the clothes are 'falling off" lol I'm not your 'typical female' that LOVES to go shopping, I hate trying on clothes lol

Replies

• sharon75uk
    sharon75uk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 16lbs but have had to buy new work trousers in a size 20 as the 22 was falling off me!
    A few of my tops are now too big too but I have plenty that still fit.

I plan to replace a few items as I go along - have also purchased new jogging bottoms for in the gym.

Well done on your loss!
  • Ladymoonshine
    Ladymoonshine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, losing 50lbs is a terrific achievement and you deserve to reward all your hard work! Maybe you could buy one or two new items, like a pair of jeans and a top? Then wait til you reach your target weight before going out and buying a whole new wardrobe!

Sharon
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I am definitely the typical female who loves to shop and I'm always getting new clothes. I've made 2 Target trips in the past week and have gotten a new dress, sweater, 2 pairs of pants, and 2 pairs of shoes. :laugh: I have so many different sizes in my closet its a little ridiculous. Since I'm over my plateau I'm considering holding off buying anything until the clothes I just got get big on me.
  • Kenisie
    Kenisie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could replace your "baggies" by purchasing some clothes at a second-hand store, so you don't have so much invested in "new clothes" until you reach your goal weight.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I'm much like you. I started roughly the same size and waited until I had no more notches in my belts for my jeans - probably a little too long :P (I think it might have been about 40 lbs honestly) By the time I went and bought pants I was in a 12..needless to say stuff was REALLY baggy.

Check out places like Winners (if you have it) or Walmart or even the Value Village. Stick with a couple pairs of pants/jeans and a couple of tops. You will wear the same things a lot but unless your a 'fashion diva' (which I am not) no one will even care. I still wear the 12's (I'm in an 8 atm).
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You could replace your "baggies" by purchasing some clothes at a second-hand store, so you don't have so much invested in "new clothes" until you reach your goal weight.

This^^ They don't have to be the greatest quality since you should not be needing them for too long.
  • emjean76
    emjean76 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Maybe just buy a few new pieces to spruce up your wardrobe. If you work in an office maybe buy two nice fitting pairs of slacks (one black, one gray or navy) and 4 or 5 new tops. Or buy a really great fitting pair of jeans. If you're like me, I'm not a big shopper either and I'm ok with wearing the same outfits over and over again. You could buy cheaper quality items since you don't plan to wear them too long anyway. It will also give you a little boost of confidence because your friends/family/co-workers will be able to see your weight loss better.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with everyone who suggests buying basics and/or secondhand, that's exactly what I have done.

I am more of a shopper, and follow trends, but I am extremely frugal especially when it comes to clothing so I've pretty much always shopped frequently and secondhand. As a result, clothing size always used to be more of an organic thing for me. I didn't notice very much when I went up or down a size.

Right now I'm at 223 lb and in a 1X top and 18 pant, although most of the pants are starting to get baggy. I have one pair of 16 pants, but they're really snug, so it looks like it's gonna be awhile until my next big shift.

I actually wore my 22's for sooooo long, from my all-time highest weight of 307 all the way to about 245 when it became painfully obvious they were too big. For that reason, I practically skipped over size 20 especially in jeans.
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I always recommend that people have a few basic wardrobe staples in their current size. There's no quicker way to feeling great about yourself than to have clothes that fit you and that you feel good in!

This time of year, you can probably find short sleeved tops on clearance racks at department stores. Check out stores like Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Burlington Coat Factory, or Ross for department store brands at lower prices. I don't personally do a lot of thrift store shopping, because I've never had a lot of success, but I know people that have.

So go get some clothes that fit!!
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yes! Getting new clothes that fit will help reinforce the positive changes. If you're still in the process of losing weight, then discount stores and secondhand shops will be more affordable. There are a couple of consignment stores that I really like where I live- I can sell a few items, then put any money that I get from those old too-big items towards something that fits me now! Anything that the consignment store doesn't want gets donated. Helps me stretch my budget a bit further.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older thread... But I was sitting around looking ridiculous in my baggy clothes and was wondering what others do. I thought I could hold out, but I think I'll need a few things here and there. Part of me is sad that my favorite things aren't fitting, but I know I can find some new favorites soon!
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I love TJMaxx. I can always find dresses for $20-$25. Now that winter is coming, dresses with tights are perfect for someone losing and not wanting to break the bank with a new wardrobe.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting a few pieces of clothing that wouldn't be extremely hard to take in, such as dresses.
    You could always go for sales and buy the $5 pieces at clothing stores that are trying to get new merchandise in. Winter is almost here, so it is a good time to go shopping for sales racks :)
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options

^This.

I've spent a LOT of money over the last year on new-to-me clothes. However, this also means that I've purchased a LOT of clothes. :) I've had to turn over my wardrobe several times. Spending $60 at a second-hand store means that I am walking out with several separates instead of just one shirt. We have a few different types of second hand stores by me. One type is similar to Goodwill. People just donate their stuff. Pants are around $4.99, shirts about $3.99. They are sorted by size and then by color. All of the proceeds go to that organization. The more "expensive" places are consignment shops where the items are priced a bit higher. Half of the proceeds go back to the original owner and the other half to the store. I've noticed that the quality is a bit better at the consignment shops as they are trying to make money off of these sales. (But I've also found great bargains on name brand stuff at the other thrift stores.) The only clothes that I've purchased new during this journey are my socks, underwear and bras. (Victoria's Secret had a great semi-annual sale not too long ago!!) While I have purchased shoes at the thrift store, they were also new. Something about wearing someone else's shoes seems kind of weird to me.

I also lucked out in that a co-worker had asked me if she could buy my shirt that I happened to be wearing that day when it got too big for me. I told her she could have it plus I had a few other things if she was interested. She happened to have a lot of clothes in her closet that were now too small for her, so we basically did a big "swap". She brought me bags and bags of her stuff and I brought her several bags of mine. (She said she'd gained some of her weight back but that she was happy at the size she was at.) The GOOD thing is that she was the one to bring up the whole swap thing... so it wasn't like I was saying "Hey, you look like you could probably wear the clothes that are way too big for me!" :)

Anyhow, to the OP, definitely get at least pants that fit you now. Baggy butt pants just look sloppy. (Only speaking from experience.) If you are at a weight where you feel comfortable tucking in your shirts, then at least tucking in baggy shirts will help to define your waist. :) (Although I did try this with a shirt that was too big and the tucked in parts were way too sloppy in my pants....)
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Whenever I lose 10 pounds I buy myself something. It makes me feel good about the hard work. Congrats on the weight loss!! Go buy yourself some new jeans you deserve it!!!! Keep up the good work. When I lose 50 lbs I am going on an all out shopping spree!!!!
  • theonenonlymrssmith
    Options
    I always stuck to thrift stores until I reached my goal! I ended up with nice fitting clothes, that were maybe not exactly my style, but saved my money to splurge on clothes I REALLY wanted, in a size I was happy with.

I just hit a weight I am happy with and splurged on some really nice not your daughters jeans hoping it will motivate me to keep it off! Now I get to go through my closet and purge the old.

Keep it the great work! 50 lbs is amazing! You will meet your goal in no time!
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Hit consignment/thrift shops for separates you can mix and match with existing pieces in your closet that currently fit you. Also, check the clearance racks at your favorite department stores, sometimes you can find some steals that won't break your budget.

If you're handy with a sewing machine you can always re-purpose some of your bigger pieces to fit your current frame.

Congrats on your weight loss btw! :)