Question: Working out while sore?

Options
I just started a 30 day challenge for myself.

Everyday Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (I can only do Level 1 so far)
Walk 30 minutes everyday (outside pushing a double stroller 2 kids, or treadmill)

Problem is, I AM SORE. I did Jillian Michaels last night and I am pretty sore. I went on a walk today with my daughters in the stroller and I survived the 30 minutes, but my legs are a little wobbly.

So, my question is...do I just push through, stop being a baby, or do I take a break? I really don't want to take a break, I'm afraid I'll never start again, but if I'm going to do damange, it's best.

Thanks, I love my MFP family!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would take a break, you have to let your body rest to avoid injury
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I say if it's just muscle soreness and not soreness from an injury to continue.
    The exercise will help to loosen up those sore muscles and make sure to stretch AFTER warming up and when you're done.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I remember how sore I was the first time I did JM’s 30DS… I could barely move the next day, but I pushed through and in a few days a felt a whole lot better and stronger. It gets easier – don’t give up!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I say no break...30DS and walking aren't that strenuous. You need to really stretch, ice if anything is particularly bad and keep on going. Sore is a good thing, pain is not...
  • tbernard
    tbernard Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    A little soreness is expected. Some of it is just because your body isn't used to the effort. Some of it may be caused by a lack of proper stretching prior to the exercise. If the soreness is bordering on pain I would slow down the exercise or take a few days off, but you probably aren't going to find any sources of exercise that don't make you feel at least a little sort at first...

Just make sure the soreness isn't tell you about a major injury...
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I did squats last night. It hurts to get out of my chair. I am still doing my cardio tonight. I still workout when I am sore, but pay special attention to what it tells me (yeah, i sit at the gym muttering to my body :) )
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    If it's soreness and not pain, push through.
  • EdgeChic
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so quickly! It is soreness. It's not my knees, ankles or any place I worry about injury. It's my quads and my back muscles (like where the shoulder blades are). All areas that were focused on the 30DS.

I'm so glad I have this place to turn to. It makes me feel that for once, I'm doing something right FOR MYSELF!
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do when you are sore is to do more of what made you sore in the first place. =)

Sore is one thing, being injured or truly fatigued beyond normal is another. If you are just sore... I would suck it up. I am sore all the time from working out with my trainer, but once I start into a workout and am warmed up, the last thing I am thinking about is soreness! However, if you are hurting like you pulled a muscle, I would stop and rest a day.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've done the 30 day shred on two separate occasions...each time it took about 4 days of doing the workout each day to work through the soreness and start building progress towards gaining stamina. Stick with it! You don't have to do it every day, every other is fine. But it still seems to work out to the 4th or 5th time through that you're pain free!

Good luck and stick with it!
  • Dtrmnd1
    Dtrmnd1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    PUSH THROUGH :wink:
  • Dtrmnd1
    Dtrmnd1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    PUSH THROUGH :wink: