Heavy lifting and pr's..where do I stand?

Options
I've worked with a trainer for over 3 years now but we've never lifted heavy consistently and 2 weeks ago I decided that I wanted to train for a strong women competition. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE this kind of lifting! I *think* that I'm pretty strong and according to my trainer I am stronger than any other women that he trains. But I just wanted to kinda get an idea of where I stand. Just wondering what everyone lifts and your level of fitness. Here's mine:

Squat- 140 x 4 reps
Deadlift- 185x 8 reps
Bench- 110
Sled pull- 518 (I think he said I pulled 15 ft in 22 seconds)
300 # Tire flip x 3
100# log clean and press

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Here's one take on this, from http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Training
    For women in the 115-155-lb range, the corresponding advanced strength goals are 0.9 x body weight bench, 1.1 x body weight chin-up, 1.5 x body weight squat and 1.8 x body weight deadlift. Relative to men, women have much less muscle mass around the chest area and shoulder girdle (men have much higher androgen-receptor density in this particular area), but the lower body is comparativly strong to the upper body.

A 135-lb woman that has been training consistently for 5-10 years should then be expected to:

Bench press 120-125 lbs.
    Do 4-5 chin-ups with body weight or do one with an extra 10-15 lbs hanging from her waist.
    Squat 200-205 lbs.
    Deadlift 225-230 lbs.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks that's definitely interesting!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Here you go, enter in your stats: http://www.strstd.com/

Pretty good ballpark for where you are in your lifting career. Breaking intermediate in all lifts was a big day for me.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Wow! Your numbers are fantastic. You should really consider competing in a powerlifting competition. I think you would put up a really respectable showing.

Another website that someone gave me was this one: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
  • AlexLeeAS
    AlexLeeAS Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Your numbers look good! You lift similar to my lifts when I was lifting my sophomore year in high school ( I thought I was pretty strong!) My max in squats, bench, and dead totalled over 600lbs. which I think is impressive :) I just started lifting again after 6 years off on Monday! excited for you!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Pretty good ballpark for where you are in your lifting career. Breaking intermediate in all lifts was a big day for me.

Love the link - thanks! Two months of hell, but I am no longer untrained and am a full bore novice! :)
  • rlinaresv
    Options
    Bump
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Love the link - thanks! Two months of hell, but I am no longer untrained and am a full bore novice! :)

That's actually pretty good. Took me closer to 18 months to hit intermediate.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Think that site is off a bit. I've been training for about 5 months and my overhead press is 1kg off elite? No way, lol
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Oh I'm sure it'll take me the typical 12-18 months to get to intermediate from novice. :)

I'll be honest, though - I look at those numbers for intermediate and have trouble imagining being able to do that, or the body definition that (I'm assuming) will come with being able to do that!
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Think that site is off a bit. I've been training for about 5 months and my overhead press is 1kg off elite? No way, lol

You're in the 200+ pounds range on overhead press...?
  • DopeItUp
    Options

No it's a pretty good standard, really. You can OHP 180lbs at your body weight, after only 5 months? That's pretty amazing and pretty hard to believe as that is near impossible. You should take a video and post it. What are your other lifts?
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Oh I'm sure it'll take me the typical 12-18 months to get to intermediate from novice. :)

I'll be honest, though - I look at those numbers for intermediate and have trouble imagining being able to do that, or the body definition that (I'm assuming) will come with being able to do that!

You'd be surprised, I have very little/no muscle definition and I'm halfway to advanced on most of my lifts (my squat sucks though). When weight training in a deficit you just get smaller and stronger. Don't really start seeing good definition until you go through a few bulk cycles or get quite lean (like <12% body fat).
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

I think it's based on your own bodyweight.

I weigh 71kg, and I regularly press 65kg overhead for 8 reps, I think I'd fail at about 10. But if I input 65kg at 8 reps, it puts me at an 81kg 1RM, which is 1kg below elite apparently. I wouldn't believe what it says x)
  • DopeItUp
    Options

I weigh 71kg, and I regularly press 65kg overhead for 8 reps, I think I'd fail at about 10. But if I input 65kg at 8 reps, it puts me at an 81kg 1RM, which is 1kg below elite apparently. I wouldn't believe what it says x)

Post a vid, that sounds insane. I'm guessing you're either doing limited range of motion or you're doing a push press (or both). OHP near your bodyweight for 8-10 reps is extremely, extremely strong. Not something you achieve in 5 months (or necessarily 5 years, or even EVER for that matter).
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Post a vid, that sounds insane. I'm guessing you're either doing limited range of motion or you're doing a push press (or both). OHP near your bodyweight for 8-10 reps is extremely, extremely strong. Not something you achieve in 5 months (or necessarily 5 years, or even EVER for that matter).

Seems like a reasonable weight/rep value for incline bench though...
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    These are the tables that the site uses to determine where you stand.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

Sometimes that site doesn't load properly and shows the wrong qualifying level.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've worked with a trainer for over 3 years now but we've never lifted heavy consistently and 2 weeks ago I decided that I wanted to train for a strong women competition. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE this kind of lifting! I *think* that I'm pretty strong and according to my trainer I am stronger than any other women that he trains. But I just wanted to kinda get an idea of where I stand. Just wondering what everyone lifts and your level of fitness. Here's mine:

Squat- 140 x 4 reps
    Deadlift- 185x 8 reps
    Bench- 110
    Sled pull- 518 (I think he said I pulled 15 ft in 22 seconds)
    300 # Tire flip x 3
    100# log clean and press

Just wanted to say that those are some very impressive numbers!
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! I just wanted to update where I am now!

Max dead is at 240 x 2 reps
    Squat is up to 170 x 4 reps
    The 300 pound tire I can flip pretty much all day :)
    Log clean and press is still at 100ish , progress on this seems much
    slower but my trainer says that's normal.

I LOVE this kind of lifting!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Check this out and see how you compare. Age adjusted weightlifting standards.

http://lonkilgore.com/freebies/freebies.html