Homemade Oatmeal

Options
Kariann986
Kariann986 Posts: 9 Member
Good morning! I recently began tracking my calories with MFP, and I am interested in some homemade oatmeal recipes after I realized that ONE tiny package of Quaker oatmeal is half of my sugar intake for the day. (Good thing I just bought a box of this stuff, right?) I would love to know of any that could be made in advance on the weekend, so I can just grab and go on my way to work during the week. Thanks for sharing! :)

Replies

• missnerdylady
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/skinny-breakfast-recipes.html

Skinny taste has a bunch of healthy oatmeal options. I'm partial to the oats in a jar and the pumpkin oatmeal shake. :)
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    When I make oatmeal, it's normally from theyummylife.com. They have overnight oatmeal and overnight oatmeal smoothies. Great when you're on the run in the morning!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    ooh, bump
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I typically mix rolled oats with PB2 (powdered peanut butter) - when I get to work - add 1/2 banana - hot water or lately I've been adding protein shake powder or half of a mix protein shake and heat it up. it's DELISH!
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    3 tablespoons steel cut oats in a one cup mason jar. Sprinkle with salt. Fill with water and close lid. Put in a slow cooker filled with water over night, on low. Delicious oatmeal when you wake up. You could do seven jars at once, if you want to cook ahead and refrigerate them. We also put chopped apples, cranberries, cinnamon and sweetener in a separate mason jar in the slow cooker, and add them to the oatmeal after cooking.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I eat homemade oatmeal every morning. Here are my suggestions:

Don't buy the prepackaged/flavored stuff. Get a container of real oats (I use "quick oats" kind to speed things up) and microwave it like you normally would. Then, you can add real sugar, cinnamon, fruit, milk, etc.

For extra protein, supplement your oatmeal with some scrambled egg whites on the side.

Nom nom! Eat it up.
  • sunnyskies1780
    sunnyskies1780 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We love oatmeal at my house.

Here is what we do - 3 servings

1 cup of regular oats - not quick oats
    approximately 2 cups of vanilla soy milk - without sugar
    a tablespoon or so of shredded coconut
    handful of golden raisins
    And if we have some cut up fresh apples or pineapples

I put that on the stove on low and it is ready about 20 minutes later. The vanilla flavor and the coconut and fruit add neough sugar and it is delicious. Depending on what we add it comes out around 250-275 calories.
  • sunnyskies1780
    sunnyskies1780 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I missed the part where you said make ahead. I will say that I have in the past made the oatmeal ahead, just warm it up with a bit of milk and it is just like new.
  • ashnice05
    Options
    I've been loving Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oatmeal with a sprinkle of Organic Brown Sugar and Organic Cinnamon, I make it for breakfast and it fills me up until dinner. :smile:
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I make Overnight Oats a lot. This is my base: 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk, 1 scoop Vanilla protein powder, 1 tbsp. chia seeds, 1 packet of stevia. Mix all together and put in the fridge and then grab and go in the morning. I eat mine cold (never thought I would like that) or you can heat it up in the microwave. Then you can add anything you want, some of my favorites are: natural peanut butter or almond butter, blueberries, almonds, vanilla extract, plain greek yogurt, any frozen fruit, banana. Just add to the mix or add in the morning....
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I make large batches and freeze them

Either

Zest and juice a medium size lemon, add some vanilla, ginger and sweetener, 5 cups of water and 3 cups of oatmeal in the crock pot until cooked. Then divide it into 9 servings and chuck in the freezer, I just get one out at night and chuck it in the fridge.

Or I grate an apple, and add cinnamon and sweetener
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste or chocolatecoveredkatie.

my favorite is half a scoop chocolate protein powder in 1/2 cup cooked oats. or 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon in 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal, or 1tbsp pb and maple syrup in 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal. delish!

flavored packets of oatmeal offend me lol
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    3 tablespoons steel cut oats in a one cup mason jar. Sprinkle with salt. Fill with water and close lid. Put in a slow cooker filled with water over night, on low. Delicious oatmeal when you wake up. You could do seven jars at once, if you want to cook ahead and refrigerate them. We also put chopped apples, cranberries, cinnamon and sweetener in a separate mason jar in the slow cooker, and add them to the oatmeal after cooking.

Oooh! Individual serving crockpot oatmeals ...... yummy!
  • sknapstein
    sknapstein Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I make oatmeal, it's normally from theyummylife.com. They have overnight oatmeal and overnight oatmeal smoothies. Great when you're on the run in the morning!

This has been my staple. Love http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • Kariann986
    Kariann986 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will have to try some of these over the weekend! :)