any words of wisdom before my first 5K?

Options
kar328
kar328 Posts: 4,155 Member
I'm running my first 5K this Saturday - my subdivision is sponsoring one, so it won't be huge crowds. I did the C25K program in it's entirety, much to my continued amazement. I've run the distance twice, both just over 46 minutes. For me, hauling around a lot of weight, it's more for the endurance and time over the speed.

My main goal is to finish it without walking. I'd like to be a little faster and maybe not the last person to finish. But not walking any of it is my main goal.

Shin splints were an issue for me early on before I got fitted for shoes. Right now though, I feel a muscle pull on the outer side of my left leg, so I'm going to take it easy these next few days.

I'd love to read any and all advice from people who've done this before. Thanks :bigsmile:

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Just relax and have fun. No need to stress. Being able to complete a 5K is a big deal - and congratulations on getting there! Now that you've done the distance a few times, you know you can do it. So just enjoy the race and do your best.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One big mistake alot of people make on race day is they try to jet out of the start box in their excitement, remember to start slow and you can increase you pace more as you fall into you grove and make awesome time that way

when you are feeling bogged down make yourself smile - such a small thing can change your whole body and mind

dont forget to hydrate well before heading out

you will do awesome, races can be really fun!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Okay! Race day tips:

1. Make sure to go to the bathroom early! There's always this mad rush right before GO! time for the port-a-potties, so don't get stuck in that line.
    2. Don't eat anything too crazy the night before or the morning of. You don't want to run (even a short distance such as a 5k) feeling gastrointestinal distress. Just trust me on this one.
    3. Run YOUR race. Don't get stuck in someone else's pace. Run this the way you planned on and want to. Don't just try to keep up with the girl in shorty-short-shorts or the beautiful half-naked guy with flat abs and only a HRM on. Well, 'less you want to. :)
    4. Don't wear anything new. Wear stuff you've worn before - shirts, shoes, socks, shorts, etc. You don't want to deal with unexpected chafing.
    5. ENJOY the race! It's your first! There will never be another first.. Take you time with it. (this applies to so many other things, but I digress....)
    6. Oh! And don't forget to SMILE. :) They usually have a couple of photographers on the route and you don't want to look like you're about to die. Smile!

Have fun :)
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    I have done a few 5ks, here are my tips:

1. Be proud of yourself with your training that you have hit the distance before the race! Before my first 5k I had never run the distance before the actual day!

2. If you are allowed to, create a playlist and get some running headphones and an arm band to hold your music player, I find music helps keep me going but not all events allow headphones

3. Start off in the middle of the pack, if you start towards the front you will be overtaken by pro runners and speedy people which can be really disheartening, if you start right at the back it can take 15 minutes just to get to the starting line! I like to start at the edge of the group near the middle

4. GO AT YOUR OWN PACE you will be overtaken by people however you will also overtake people, none of this is important! the only person you should race with is yourself

5. Start off at a slow manageable speed, it is easy to get caught up in the race day excitment and start off faster than you would normally which results in you having to walk / slow down half way

6. Talk to yourself and keep yourself going. Remind yourself that you have done this distance twice before so you have no reason to stop and walk. Plan a treat for yourself to enjoy when you finish

7. Wear comfortable clothes, if its hot try for leggings so you dont get leg chaffage. If its cold go for a thin long sleeve top rather than a jumper as you will get hot half way

8. Eat a good breakfast to give you energy but allow at least an hour for it to go down

9. ENJOY THE DAY

Good luck, 46 minutes is a great time you should be proud of yourself
  • St_Paul
    St_Paul Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're in great shape to get it done! Good luck, don't run out too fast, save something for the end. Have fun. Remember the greatest impediment isn't physical, but mental. Stay positive and you'll do well.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything differently than a training day. If you normally don't eat before a run, don't eat. (Unless you feel the need, then keep it light.)

Run in something you know works for you. I have been fine running in something new before, but it was a style I was used to. I did where a pair of pants I'd only worn once before, though one time, and I was tugging at the waist the whole race to pull them up. That sucked.

Relax, keep your pace, have fun. Don't be afraid to take short walk breaks if you need them. They can actually help you keep basin the tank to finish!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I agree with what everyone said, enjoy the race and have fun. The goal is not time but to finish it and feel accomplished.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have done a few 5ks, here are my tips:

3. Start off in the middle of the pack, if you start towards the front you will be overtaken by pro runners and speedy people which can be really disheartening, if you start right at the back it can take 15 minutes just to get to the starting line! I like to start at the edge of the group near the middle

I can't emphasis this more. Along with being overtaken, you would/could be pushed, elbowed, bumped out of the way. To those that start in the front and know they should, those seconds to get around you are precious.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Start conservative since this is your first race! Take it easy! Start in the middle of the pack near the outside so you can get around people that are walking. IF there's a water stop, take water towards the end (people will always stop at the beginning).

HAVE FUN!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    if you've done all of C25K, you'l'l be fine. enjoy yourself. go in and have fun. don't try to win first place, per se, but win your own goal (faster than your last time, etc etc.). most importantly, you're doing it--which says a lot about you! yay!
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    Stay hydrated and don't over do yourself. Listen to your body and Good Luck!!
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Best advice I ever got: DO NOT start out too fast. You'll be caught up in all the energy of the day and want to run fast, but trust me, don't do it.

Otherwise, enjoy!!:drinker:
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Definitely start slow. Do some lunges and squats before the race to warm up. Stretch your upper body as well. Relax. Drink lots of water the day before but don't drink too much just before the race or you'll have to go before you finish! Eat a good dinner the night before. Stretch after the race. In my excitement over finishing I forgot to stretch and my hamstring tightened up the next day.

Way to go by the way!
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Think of me from start to finish.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Tie your laces properly just before the race
    Drink plenty of fluid before the race
    Remember to warm up before the race (not just stretching, but mental preparation, eg go through the course in your head and simulate it)
    Get your clothes sorted the night before so you can wear what you like
    Smile! You never run your first 5k again so spend it with people who make you happy.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,229 Member
    Options
    Okay! Race day tips:

1. Make sure to go to the bathroom early! There's always this mad rush right before GO! time for the port-a-potties, so don't get stuck in that line.
    2. Don't eat anything too crazy the night before or the morning of. You don't want to run (even a short distance such as a 5k) feeling gastrointestinal distress. Just trust me on this one.
    3. Run YOUR race. Don't get stuck in someone else's pace. Run this the way you planned on and want to. Don't just try to keep up with the girl in shorty-short-shorts or the beautiful half-naked guy with flat abs and only a HRM on. Well, 'less you want to. :)
    4. Don't wear anything new. Wear stuff you've worn before - shirts, shoes, socks, shorts, etc. You don't want to deal with unexpected chafing.
    5. ENJOY the race! It's your first! There will never be another first.. Take you time with it. (this applies to so many other things, but I digress....)
    6. Oh! And don't forget to SMILE. :) They usually have a couple of photographers on the route and you don't want to look like you're about to die. Smile!

Have fun :)

@ Thepetiterunner - AMEN! And can I add, a lot of times they will have people pushing their nutrition drinks or items before a race. DO NOT CHANGE/ADD SUPPLEMENTS OR DIETS THE DAY OF THE RACE! It will come back to bite you.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're gonna nail it to me :)
    Just enjoy it. Sip water beforehand, don't rush it and smile hun....... worry about numbers at your next race if you really want too but just blummin soak up the vibes n have a good time x
  • JTH11706
    JTH11706 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Any race you finish uninjured is a great one. You have done the right training and have the right mindset to do this. Just get yourself to the start line and everything will be fine from there. All great advice above, but especially don't go too fast - you will be going faster than you realize from the excitement so try to force yourself to start slow. And SMILE, it makes everything better. Congrats. I'm excited for you.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm overwhelmed at the number of replies. Thanks to all of you, I'll be reading this a few times and absorbing all the great wisdom. It means a lot :flowerforyou:

(mamacita, thanks for the link, bookmarked it to read - at work all night).
    (lumpy - I'm actually going to remember your profile pic when I'm plodding along :happy: )