Logging miles, Too many calories burned woes

Options
momma2azoo
momma2azoo Posts: 50 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I think this subject has probably been about beat to death, but maybe I'm missing something anyway.

I walk between 2.5-6 miles a day, usually at least 6 days a week. I know MFP over estimates calories burned so I've been entering a much shorter time duration at the pace I walk at to lower the calorie count. I'd like to keep an accurate log of my miles walked though. Is there a way to keep track of miles walked without having MFP stupidly over estimate calories burned? Maybe I just need to log miles somewhere else.

Thanks,
Liz

Replies

• weavemyway
    weavemyway Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Perhaps when entering the time, adjust the calories to equate to about 100 calories/mile. I've heard that's a pretty accurate and generalized amount to burn.
  • RyanDryFly
    RyanDryFly Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Use the Runtastic App. It will keep track of your miles and upload calories burn to MFP. The cal calcs seem to be quite a bit less than whats on MFP. Also tracts your routes and other stats about your run. They have a free version and a pro verions. The Pro version cost 4.99 (i think).
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Perhaps when entering the time, adjust the calories to equate to about 100 calories/mile. I've heard that's a pretty accurate and generalized amount to burn.

Just an fyi...when I wear my heart rate monitor for a brisk walk I only burn 50 calories per mile. Its really dependant on the pace, how much you currently weigh and your heart rate. I walk 4 miles in an hour, for a total burn of between 200 and 225.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Just don't pay attention to the cals and eat according to what your real maintenance. When I lift AND do cardio I burn about 700 cals. On top of my deficit that means I would be losing over 2lbs a week but that's not the case. Since lifting is apart of my norm routine I ignore the cals burned, I imagine you could do the same.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike+ running app built into my iPod to track my actual miles. I don't eat my exercise calories back, though, so I don't care what MFP reports my calorie burn as.

Manually adjusting the calories to a lower amount is a good idea. I've done that in the past.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Yeah the 100 calorie per mile is an ok suggestion but not to be relied upon too heavily. It's not the correct way to go for sure but I estimate 5 calories per minute at my pace for me PERSONALLY. I certainly wouldn't advise you to do it that way but I wouldn't imagine it would be THAT far wrong so that's why I think of it that way.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    when im pushing really hard, i can burn 600 cals an hr. im a distance runner so often plod, therefore estimate my cals to be 450-500 an hour. and thats not walking, and im still fat. if youre very unfit then yes, you could burn 100 cals a mile walking. but everyone is different.
  • Denisse210
    Denisse210 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    nike + app is good it calculates your distance and cals burned according to how fast you were really walking/jogging/running. also gives you a map of where you ran =)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't use MFP to record anything for exercise..I'm old school and use a notebook. It's way easier to keep track of my times and make adjustments to reach my goals and whatnot...hard to track all of that just with MfP. If all I was concerned with was calories, that would be one thing...but calories are actually the least of my concern.
This discussion has been closed.