egg problems

Options
I was going over my food diary and noticing that I am almost always going over my allotted fat grams per day, and looking at my intake, it's mainly because of my breakfast. Regardless of the research and "yay or nay"'s about it, I eat two eggs for breakfast almost every day. I usually have them scrambled, and I add a little water for fluffyness, never milk. I was just wondering if anyone can explain to me why a plain boiled egg has less fat than a scrambled egg, per the given nutrition data when I search "egg" for my food diary? It just doesn't make sense to me that cooking methods can change the composition of the egg, therefore if there is no fat added for the cooking method, shouldn't the nutritional information be identical?

Replies

• michellechawner
    Options
    when you scramble an egg, you probably use oil or butter so it doesn't stick to the pan. That could be why the fat content is higher.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Are you logging it as a "Scrambled egg" or searching for "boiled egg?"

Just use "egg" instead. There should be a generic entry.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    just use egg ,if you are not adding anything, also what is your macros set at? fat is not bad like everyone thinks ,good fat like in eggs is good!!
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    when you scramble an egg, you probably use oil or butter so it doesn't stick to the pan. That could be why the fat content is higher.
    Agreed there. Also, it could be how much you use to cook it. The more you use, the more calories you're adding. Just a little something to keep in mind next time you cook it that way. Your best option would be to use cooking spray, as this often adds the least cals. :smile:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Thought this was going to be a "gassy" problem...

Use the MFP entry for eggs, RAW. That's what I use. I sometimes use the entry for just egg whites. I enter whatever fat I use to cook them separately.
  • TaxPrepLiz
    TaxPrepLiz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Try using the barcode scanner on the app version. I just scan the carton and choose how many eggs I've eaten. If I cook with oil or butter, I add that in separately.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Going over on fat isn't a bad thing. I do it all the time. I'm also eating keto, which is high fat, low carb and moderate protein. Eating fat doesn't make you fat. My ticker is definitely proof of that.
  • charleyreedto175
    charleyreedto175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    First let me say that the cal. content of an egg will always change if it is boiled, water boiled (poached), pan fried, microwave oven cooked or baked. Basic chemistry changes the structure of each method. If you like to eat eggs for breakfast then the best way is hard boiled. Second if you want scrambled eggs then please use the microwave. Pan fry should be the last resort. I really could go into detail with the chem. on this but just think of the way an egg changes when cooked. You'll see the answer real fast.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    First let me say that the cal. content of an egg will always change if it is boiled, water boiled (poached), pan fried, microwave oven cooked or baked. Basic chemistry changes the structure of each method. If you like to eat eggs for breakfast then the best way is hard boiled. Second if you want scrambled eggs then please use the microwave. Pan fry should be the last resort. I really could go into detail with the chem. on this but just think of the way an egg changes when cooked. You'll see the answer real fast.

I'm sorry, but wut? Only diff would be the oil added for cooking. :laugh:
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    If you're searching 'scrambled eggs' they are probably not only including the oil/butter they used to coat the pan, but most people add milk or cream to eggs to make them 'fluffy'. That extra cream or milk has fat, too just like the oil or the butter. I don't add anything to my eggs except maybe a bit of water, so I just use 'egg' for my food list. Just be sure you have the right size egg -- there can be up to a 20 calorie difference.