Cardio with knee injury

Options
I've lost 21kg over the last year mainly by keeping my calories down and doing daily walks and 2 or 3 spin classes a week along with some sports training. I injured my knee on the weekend (MCL) and wont be able to do any of this for about 6 weeks....

Does anyone have any tips to keep cardio without working my knees?

Replies

• the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    When you're healed, ditch the runs (or cut down on them) and start swimming. It's a **** load easier on your joints, and IMO a better workout
  • AzPie
    AzPie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tore my MCL in June so I can totally relate. Mine was pretty bad so I went to physical therapy - you might start there if your doc recommends. Anyhow I, like you am a naturally land weight bearing exerciser - but I was told 3-6 months for it to be healed so I joined a masters swim team. Best decision ever. Now I'm doing weights, squats lunges very thoughtfully in addition to swimming and am going to start a spinning class this week. Ultimately I want to get back to hiking too but want to be sure I'm ready. It's a good excuse to try new exercises you might not have otherwise tried.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Swimming
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have petellofemoral syndrome in both my knees and stationary rowing is currently my primary cardio. I don't know if this is right for you with your knee injury, but it might be worth looking into. It still uses your legs a ton, but there's no impact and no weight-bearing.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    water aerobics ....

at least it worth a try..... It worked for me when my Sciatica pain prevented me from walking even a block.

48403347.png
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've been getting sore knees from running. Decided to try swimming today. Never felt so unfit n my life :(
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I saw a Low-Impact cardio at jessicasmithtv. Cardio without jumps.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells I hear will get your cardio (if done right & not like my husband lol) and you wont have to sue your knees like normal.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    When you're healed, ditch the runs (or cut down on them) and start swimming. It's a **** load easier on your joints, and IMO a better workout

Are you seriously dissing running? :mad: I run, I have crappy knees.... nothing is so good on my joints but running sure is better for me than even just walking.

Don't diss running.
  • kgirlknits
    Options
    thanks so much for posting this tip - hadn't seen her workouts before and the low-impact HIIT was *exactly* what I was looking for! (knee injury)
  • kgirlknits
    Options

thanks so much for posting this tip - hadn't seen her workouts before and the low-impact HIIT was *exactly* what I was looking for! (knee injury)
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Glad to be of help. I'm doing that short workout myself when I don't wanna upset my neighbour... Not always though:devil: