AWESOME soup recipe

Options
Hey everyone! I have an awesome recipe for you if you like a meat and vegetable soup! It makes up 16 cups of soup....It is called Russian soup. I got the recipe from one of my favorite restaurants.

Brown beef stew meat (All we use at home is vension, very lean, virtually no fat, you could substitute obviously with another very lean meat)
After meat is browned, pour in 8 cups of water, and add 1 can tomato soup, 4 diced potatoes, baby carrots cut up, and one onion and bring to a boil. (You can of course add whatever other vegetables you would like) After it comes to a boil, add 4 cups of cut up cabbage (to act as noodles) once that has fully cooked, add 1 cup of Western Salad Dressing. Stir, and serve!!! Very simple, and awesome flavor...a basically sweet and sour type vegetable soup.

Also, just as an fyi here is the BEST PART!!! Only 144.6 calories per cup!!! Plus you're getting lots of veggies in. I have went ahead and added it into the food diary here on myfitnesspal so that if anyone wants to use the recipe the nutrition facts are already listed for you! It is listed under Homemade Russian Soup - Jackie's recipe ENJOY!!! :)

Replies

• Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yum, bump.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!

What is that western dressing though?
  • jnkreis
    jnkreis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The Western Salad Dressing you can buy at any grocery store....it is under the Wishbone brand. It's in the aile with all the other salad dressings...it's along the lines of a Russian dressing or a Light Catalina dressing :)
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Bump! Sounds awesome!
  • tishieb
    tishieb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    That looks so good! If you like that one, try Humphrey Soup. It is delicious, too, and has about the same amount of calories. My family has made this for years and I already have the ingredients ready to make it this week as it gets colder.

MURIEL HUMPHREY'S BEEF SOUP

Mrs. Humphrey wrote: "The recipe that sustains the Vice-President's vim, vigor and vitality. My father used to love to make this. It is now famous because my husband loves it and has proclaimed it all over the U.S. Low in calories but high in food value, it is especially good for a light supper with fruit salad, a glass of milk, lots of crackers, and dessert."

1 1/2 lbs. stewing beef or chuck steak
    1 lb. soup bone
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    2 bay leaves
    1 c. celery, chopped
    1/2 c. onions, chopped
    4 to 5 med. carrots, sliced
    1 c. cabbage, chopped
    1 lb. 4 oz. can Italian-style tomatoes
    1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 beef bouillon cube
    Pinch of oregano or any other herb you prefer

Cover meat and bone with water in 3-quart heavy kettle. Add salt, pepper and bay leaves. Heat water to bubbling while preparing vegetables. Turn heat to low. Add celery, onions, carrots, and cabbage. Simmer for at least 2 1/2 hours, or until meat is very tender. Skim; remove bone and bay leaves; cut meat into bite-size pieces. Return meat to soup. Add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon cube and herbs. Simmer for 30 minutes longer before serving. Serves 6.

****Please note**** I copied and pasted for speed. I don' t use the bone and I use a lot more Worcestershire sauce.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great soup for a cool eve dinner.
    Thanks for sharing1
    jane