Kick Diabetes *kitten*

Options
ktliu
ktliu Posts: 334 Member
Back at 1999, Dec 31st 11:35pm. I smoked my last cigarette. with 18 months, I ballooned up 20-30 lbs. After that I was diagnose with Diabetes. My doc said it's still better than smoking....debatable. over the course of 13 years, I've grown from 165 lbs to Xmas 2012 around 214 lbs. It was pretty horrible.

This January I've decided to take care of myself. Start exercising, Join mfp.take Phentermine, watch what i eat, count calories...everything I can do to combat this big Giant bulge. I was at the end of my XL life, Next stop is XXL and there is no way in hell I will go XXL.

So 8 months later here I am, 44 lbs lost,
Ran my first 5K run (run and Dye),
Training for MS150.
4 Zumba classes,
1 kickboxing class,
one yoga, Pilates class,
one Core class,
1 Spin class,
25 miles of biking
5-6 miles a week on the treadmill, and
2 days of weight training.
This is my typical one week schedule of workout.

And today I'm happy to report, I am successfully kicked Diabetes *kitten*. My A1C is a beautiful 5.6 and my doc, took me out of all my diabetic medication.

THIS IS A FREAKING AMAZING DAY!

Replies

• barefoot_shuffler
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!!! :flowerforyou: That has got to feel so wonderful to know that YOU CURED YOURSELF!!!! :wink:
  • Sammynd
    Sammynd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That's excellent, well done xx
  • Jaydec70
    Jaydec70 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Awesome! In the past month I have gone from 400 units of insulins a day to 40 or 50, and my A1c dropped from the 9s to 7.1. With just really one full month of effort. I am also diagnosed 13 years (march 2000). So we have a similar timeframe that lets me know there is hope yet, though I was between Xxl and 3xl when I started. Thank you for posting.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Fantastic news! You should be very proud of yourself!

Way to go! :flowerforyou:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!!! :flowerforyou: That has got to feel so wonderful to know that YOU CURED YOURSELF!!!! :wink:

:laugh: OP didn't say anything about being 'cured', unfortunately, that part can't be undone, but being able to control it with diet and exercise is absolutely FANTASTIC!

Good for you OP!!!
    applause-o.gif
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    congratssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is so great :flowerforyou:
  • lhgalant
    lhgalant Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congrats. What an awesome accomplishment.
  • NisaB
    NisaB Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That is truly inspiring! I came off of two of my meds...one more to go!!! :)
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately Diabetes will come back if you are over weight again. The way I'm looking at it is I'm having way too much fun to add another 30 lbs for it to trigger again. I love my new body, and all it's new capabilities. Now that I know how to get here, there is no going back to the way I was. , And I'm still constantly setting new goals to see how far I can take this 48 year old body.

Seriously quitting smoking caught me completely off guard back in 2000. There's no way I'm letting myself go again! The side advantage is I'm gaining a whole bunch of new friends here as well as in the gym. It's an awesome feeling to be in the front of the room, doing everything and excelling with people 1/2 your age.

THanks for all your lovely sentiments.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!