My Fat History

Options
Hi!

Briefly a bit of history, I am 51, mother of 2 grown children, survivor (which led me to have problems with ED), have a (long-standing) chronic pain condition, recently diagnosed with lupus and been a woman weighed down with obesity.

My life was in the pits. Everything was wrong. Everything hurt. I was ashamed to be seen and all the medicines that I had been prescribed were struggling to work given my bulk.

At my heaviest I weighed 126kgs, I am 5’5” tall. Life sucked…..I could not cut my toenails without losing my breath. Clothes were impossible to buy and I was forced into wearing mens clothes. We had a small car too and I used to have to get out of the car to release the boot/hood latches. Photos were right OUT….and even if I did get captured my misery was clearly on view. Something had to change and I realised that it could only come from me. So….

Got me some counselling, wrote, cried, yelled and then dealt with all the past *kitten*….forgave them and myself and moved on.

Quit taking as many meds as possible, especially the mood altering ones that played havoc with my inner “gimme all the foods” mentality. Once this was done the cycle of rebound starvation I did stopped as well.

Started looking at what I was regularly eating. Got good professional advice and found that I am gluten sensitive, better off with low GI foods (insulin resistant) and with those changes thankfully found my desire for many of my ‘must’ have crap foods left me. Still have treats, but they are higher quality with ‘real’ ingredients rather than a huge bag of colours, preservatives etc held together with reconstituted God knows what (my system just couldn’t deal with that).

Exercising …..started off with walking. Then more walking. Graduating to bushwalking (hiking), these got longer and harder, then too my surprise got into taking on mountains. Nothing was too out there. My darling hubby has been by my side for 30 years and he came along for all and lost nearly 30kgs.
I added body weight exercises. Never thought someone my age could do man size push ups :), then added in extra hand weights for fun. Did HIIT and Circuit training. I was strong, fit, my pain was finally at a stage where I mainly ruled it….not the other way round. I now weighed in at 50kgs and still do.

Then life did what life sometime does and I got sicker and sicker and finally the Lupus was diagnosed, apparently it was lurking for at least 4 years and we got poor guidance from Drs’. Bugger.

My last bushwalk was Jan this year, it nearly killed me….I started treatment in March. Steroids and anti malarials. Being in the sun is RIGHT OUT :( exhaustion, seizures, more pain etc are everyday issues that I am learning to come to grips with. For me right now being active and regaining strength is about knowing where that line is and believe me one of the most frustrating things is that line keeps bloody well moving.

I wanted to say THANK YOU to MFP members. I have lurked here for so very long. Reading, learning and laughing. There are so many people here who have their own heavy burdens and long roads to travel and their stories have been so inspirational to me. To all those really clued up people who frequent here to try to help others with food and exercise advice, again thank you, your passion and success speak volumes.

To anyone, any age, any weight, with or without health issues, Please Please never give up on yourselves. Your life is so important, love yourself for who you are and you can achieve so much. Even though it’s a tough road the destination is so worth it.

a-coat.jpg

b-garden.jpg

c-dress.jpg

d-profile.jpg

Replies

• fhargis0002
    fhargis0002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    awesome transformation!! truly inspiring.
  • Omoe11
    Omoe11 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You look great!! Awesome job :)
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! What a journey you have been on! You are truly inspiring. :flowerforyou:
  • BlackenedAmber
    Options
    Oh my goodness, that is SO inspiring and great! Wow. Definitely a great transformation. I feel so happy looking at this. How accomplished you must feel. Just wow. I can't even express that enough, you look terrific!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful I hope you are also feeling better as well.

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Very inspirational.

Never give it up!
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the lovely comments. :flowerforyou:
  • brigidy
    brigidy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!!!
  • minnie503
    minnie503 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow! You worked hard and it shows. You look incredible :smile:

Thanks for sharing!
  • Mayada32
    Mayada32 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring post , congratulations and thank for sharing your story :flowerforyou:
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story. Way to go!

You look beautiful in that dress!
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    That dress was a bit of a watershed moment for me.....I hadn't dared buy anything like that in forever. Felt really good to wear something pretty......that was meant for a woman and not guys clothes.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I needed the inspiration. :)
  • minxvox
    Options
    First, you are full of courage and strength. You have all my admiration for what you've accomplished and went through.

Thank you so much for posting this. It's what I needed to read. I'm 44 and was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune condition a few years ago that causes immense pain and immobility in parts of my body. It comes and goes suddenly, so I never know when I'm going to be hit by an attack. I have been feeling very despondent about regaining my strength and figure. I have so many health problems in general, and because I'm older, I felt myself just starting to give up. Your closing lines meant a lot to me, especially since you are someone who has gone through so much health-wise and yet you've never given up. Thank you so much for sharing and the inspiration.
  • meech2sandy
    Options
    Very inspirational! Congrats!
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    You look incredible! Congratulations :)
  • l0velife1
    l0velife1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love when people who have severe hardships that get in their way post stories like this. In no way do I wish hardships on anyone, believe me, but I do find it incredibly inspiring because I have no excuse at that point.

You look incredible and happy! Amazing job and I do hope that things start to get easier on you. <3
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    great job!!!!!
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You have done an incredible job! Congrats and it's nice to see that big smile in place of the unhappy look! Nice!!!
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Awesome, Hi5 =)
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Just wow. What a story.

I commend you for your amazing ability to remain positive despite all of the struggles you have gone through. Thank you for your share, I know it will help many others with their health goals if not inspire someone like me. Good luck with your health, you have come so far. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!