English dad wants encouragement!

Options
Hi. Started here after finding a set of digital scales in ikea and then weighed myself for the first time in years. Don't know how accurate they are but they are at least consistent. At my height of 5'9 the figure of 181 lb they started on comes into the 'overweight' group on the charts and I didn't like that. Hence me downloading the app!
The first 4 pounds came off easily but now I've hit a barrier and am sitting at 176 lb plus or minus a pound consistently. I could just do with others as well as my wife to pat me on the back occasionally and give me extra push to keep recording stuff, which is, let's face it, a faff.
Tales of your own achievements will keep me at it. At least til I'm off the 'overweight' part of the charts.
Oh, I'm 45 with a wife, one child and a compost heap to support. Actually, she does the supporting as I look after our preschooler during the days.

Replies

• Rivah67
    Rivah67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    hi and welcome you've come to the right place for help and support the people here are all that and more :flowerforyou:
  • Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You will find so much support and encouragement here xxx
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi there English dad!

Don't you just hate those barriers? The flipside is though, when you finally break through them, they feel twice as good as just passing a regular weight milestone!

I broke through my main barrier, 72kgs, back in february and even got down to 67kg in April. My ex boyfriend made me miserable for a while and so the weight came back on, but now I know what I'm capable of and I'm hard at work once again. My next barrier to break is 67kg, because if you keep working at it, the very next day might be the day you see results, and if you stop, there's no way you'll break through. So keep at it, you can do it!

Glad to hear you have a supportive wife and a great kid, they'll admire you for the effort you put in, maybe you can get involved at the local preschool running some sort of kiddie sport to keep you fit running up and down being ref? Just an idea!

Have fun, good luck, and good on you for asking for motivation!
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Oh yes... its a faff indeed, but much more interesting with an iphone app, a website and a community!!!! Dont you just love technology.
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Oh yes... its a faff indeed, but much more interesting with an iphone app, a website and a community!!!! Dont you just love technology.
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome - you'll find this a really useful tool and all the people are lovely and very supportive. We're in a similar situation as I work, and hubby's at home with the children too.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Welcome English Dad! You've come to the right place for encouragement and support; there's a proper happy bunch here and they're really helping me keep going :-)
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    This community is wonderful. Good luck!
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    LOL at compost heap, I also have a compost heap :bigsmile:

Keep going. I plateaued for weeks and stuck at 179 lbs, now its gradually coming off and today I'm 174lbs. Take your measurements because if you're spreading that compost you'll be toning nicely, although it won't show as weight loss on the scales.

Keep faffing its a very important tool, and so many people give up the diary entries and find they start to slip back into old ways easily.
  • thevetchling
    thevetchling Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your oh so swift messages of support and encouragement and friendship. Cheers.
    Does anyone know how often the site rejigs your calorie allowance, it needs to tweak it if its not working I'm guessing. But how often?
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I think I've read its every 10lbs, but I've been tweaking mine. Every time I lose a 1lb I've been deducting 40 calories from my target.
  • ashiteru
    Options
    WELCOME! YOUARE GOING TO LOVE THIS SITE!