HELP - is this normal after LIFTING?

Options
So I just went to the gym...for the first time ever. I hit it hard..perhaps too hard? I dont know, but I do know, that I am frightened.
I am struggling to move my arms, driving home was a nightmare and I felt like it took so much just to turn the wheel. I just showered...and I had to move my head to my hands, because it is challenging to put my hands above my head...is this normal? and will I get this every time?

I was doing leg curls, leg press, shoulder press, and chest press...and my legs feel fine...but my arms are like f-ed up.

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    If you've never lifted before, it sounds like you may have hit it a trifle hard for your first time. However, your body is certainly on notice now.

Can't see your diary but make sure you've had plenty of protein to help repair the damage.

In any event, I doubt you did any damage.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Totally normal for a first day. This will not continue, but I remember my first day in the gym - my arms were visibly shaky for more than 6 hours afterward. You will be a little sore tomorrow, and probably really sore by Friday, so grab some Advil & give yourself a pep talk to go back!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Eh, your legs will hurt tomorrow or even the day after. Shaky arms - totally normal. I'm a newb to lifting too. You'll be fine. Just keep it up and don't work the same muscle on consecutive days.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    First time lifting? Yeah, it's normal. Just make sure you eat your protein, drink your water and get your rest. You'll be sore for a few days, but you get used to it and eventually start to wear the pain like a badge of honor.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    OH YEAH! and I got a massive headache while lifting...this was after my legs, and when I did the chest press, it wasnt sharp...almost like a migraine. Normal...yes/no?

eta - ok, I may have been over-exaggerating, it was not a MASSIVE headache, i was able to keep going...but it just was noticable and made the workout not very enjoyable.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    OH YEAH! and I got a massive headache while lifting...this was after my legs, and when I did the chest press, it wasnt sharp...almost like a migraine. Normal...yes/no?

Were you employing the valsalva maneuver? i.e., taking in a deep breath to pressurize your abdomen, and then pushing? Think along the lines of a great massive poo.
  • dakotababy
    Options

Were you employing the valsalva maneuver? i.e., taking in a deep breath to pressurize your abdomen, and then pushing? Think along the lines of a great massive poo.

I was actually not really focusing on my breathing, but thank you so much for mentioning it...I will keep focus on it for next time and see if it helps. :D
  • ctm404
    Options
    I think you should be very concerned. that you may be suffering from a debilitating condition known as Kickassitis. Many gym goers never contract this condition because they take preventative medication known as Dontbrakaswet.

One downside of Kickassitis is that it temporarily inhibits normal motor function. Some patients have been known to apply shampoo to the shower wall and rub their head against it, rather than lift their arms up to lather. Fortunately most victims recover within a few days. Repeated episodes of Kickassitis tend to lead to shorter and less painful symptoms, though it often develops into a chronic form of Kickassitis characterized by an enhanced ability to kick *kitten*.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    I think you should be very concerned. that you may be suffering from a debilitating condition known as Kickassitis. Many gym goers never contract this condition because they take preventative medication known as Dontbrakaswet.

One downside of Kickassitis is that it temporarily inhibits normal motor function. Some patients have been known to apply shampoo to the shower wall and rub their head against it, rather than lift their arms up to lather. Fortunately most victims recover within a few days. Repeated episodes of Kickassitis tend to lead to shorter and less painful symptoms, though it often develops into a chronic form of Kickassitis characterized by an enhanced ability to kick *kitten*.

this just made me feel so proud! :D thanks.
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    “The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That’s what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they’ll go through the pain no matter what happens.”
    -Arnold-
  • hannahbanana0480
    hannahbanana0480 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Totally normal on your first day. I remember when I was starting out, I couldn't even get my shirt off by myself! :laugh: