So confused

Options
This is why I never wanted to start on a diet program before this...so many different points of view and ways to lose weight. I put in my information and MFP calculated 1200 calories per day. I have gone over everyday this week since starting to log my food. So I am reading threads and come across the TDEE at IIFYM--by their calculations I should have 1811 calories per day. But when I change that MFP estimates I will only lose less than one pound per week and that's with working out 3 days a week for an hour. I am already ready to give up. I am approx. 70 lbs overweight and granted I am only 3 days into this whole thing but I am ready to give up. Can someone please shed some light on this whole diet thing for me.

Replies

• Luuvy
    Luuvy Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I understand that you are confused but Why are you ready to give up? I was on 1200 calories a day and it worked but as I started to work out more I eventually had to go up to 1500-1600 calories. Everyone is different so you have to find what works best for you:-)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    First, I would suggest you lower your expectations. 1 lb a week is a HEALTHY loss. It's not recommended to lose more than 2 lbs a week.
    Secondly, don't think of this as a diet, think of it as a lifestyle change.
    Thirdly, 1200 calories is the bare minimum recommended for a woman. If you *choose* to follow 1200 calories, do not, and I emphasize this, DO NOT undercut it and go below 1200. You'll be treading dangerous territory if you stay below for too long. That being said, choose a goal that you feel would be sustainable for you. If you're doing TDEE, and you're obese, you can be a little more aggressive and go as much as taking a 30% cut instead of 20%, but if you stall out/plateau, you'll have to bring the calories back up a bit.

I *personally* have my goal set to 1500, and when I exercise, I eat most/all of those calories back. MFP already works your deficit out for you, so it's recommended you eat your exercise calories if you follow the MFP method. Personally, my MFP and TDEE-20% end up being pretty close, once I've exercised. I eat a good amount of food, I don't even feel like I'm "dieting". It feels like normal life... just with counting my calories and exercising alot. Just sayin' :P

Also, make small goals for yourself. Don't focus on how far you have to go, focus on how far you've come. You're 3 days in, it's way too early to throw in the towel. Now that you've logged for 3 days, make a goal to log in for 15 days. Make a goal to lose 5 lbs. Celebrate the mini-goals. The rest will come in good time.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you're going over your budget everyday and you really seriously want to do this and lose weight then you have 3 choices. Either make better food choices (6 pcs of french toast?) so you stay in budget, change your loss per week to 1 pound so you get more calories and are able to stick to them or give up and carry on as you have been.

It's really a choice you have to make for yourself when you're ready to make the commitment. If you really want to do this then you have to log everything by weighing and measuring it and you have to do it for every bite you eat. Some people just aren't ready to make the commitment and you'll know when the time is right because it won't be something that you want to quit after a couple days.
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I know it's confusing, but don't give up yet! A few suggestions; don't wait until the end of the day to log your food, log as you go along. That way you know how many calories are left for dinner and snacks. You may want to give up soda's and eat smaller portions.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Veggies are your friend. They help fill you up without adding very many calories. You can eat an almost unlimited amount of non-starchy veggies without getting close to your calorie limit. There is nothing wrong with eating enough that you aren't hungry, as long as you make the "right" food choices - go for nutrient dense rather than calorie dense for at least 70-80% of what you consume and you'll generally lose weight.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the fruits and veggies with a strong leaning towards taking a good long look at what you eat before you eat it. Much easier to do when you cook for yourself.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind you are using two different calculators.

The way MFP is set up, it expects you to log exercise and eat those calories. So when you put in the number you came up with from TDEE, it does not account that that includes your exercise.
    In other words, MFP is correct. If you ate that 1800 calories and didn't exercise you could expect to lose 1 lb a week. However, you will be exercising, therefore creating a larger deficit and can expect to lose more.
    Basically if you are going to use TDEE ignore MFP numbers and its prediction
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone else is saying. I'd take a second look at 720 calories worth of mushroom soup and 475 calories of mashed potatoes. No wonder you are going over and are still hungry. Nothing wrong with those foods; I make and eat mashed potatoes frequently: 150 calories worth, filled out with a bunch of green veggies and lean meat. You want to choose foods that pack an enormous nutritional punch, have enough volume to fill you up, and carry a lower calorie load.
  • flashovernow
    Options
    Start doing some research, educating yourself on lower calorie alternatives to some foods you already enjoy. Instead of thinking about how long it takes to lose 70 pounds, worry about one meal at a time, one day at a time. Set some mini goals. Connect with friends that are also changing their lifestyle with healthier eating habits. I find some of what I read here a little confusing, but not to the point of changing my commitment to a healthier lifestyle. Good luck.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    is giving up really going to improve matters? Is it frustrating? YES! Does that mean you should stop? NO. Take it as a challenge and keep at it.

If I was you I would cut out the nuts (perhaps substitute with plain popcorn i.e without butter or salt). I'd also try to have less of everything and add veggies to help with the appetite. Make your own mushroom soup and see whether you can make it with less calories. You could substitute the cheese you are eating with one that has less calories.

How are you determining your exercise calories? I think the walking calories at MFP are okay, but the others are sometimes overinflated. Not sure 8 min on the elliptical really burns 113 calories since studies found that the rate at which calories are burned on an elliptical trainer is similar to that on a treadmill.

Adjusting your diet is a process though, that takes time. If you don't go about it slowly you are unlikely to keep the weight off long term.

I have also just realised that my banana entry has less calories then yours for the same size, so I might have to investigate this :-)
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your goal is to be between 1200 and 1800 calories. Less calories means faster weight loss, more calories slower weight loss. It is your choice as to how fast or slow you want to lose weight and you are the only one that is qualified to make that choice.
  • hakes87
    Options
    Yeah I didn't realize how many calories were in that soup until I had already made it. Yeah, won't be having that again.
  • hakes87
    Options
    Can you give me examples of "non-starchy" vegetables.
  • hakes87
    Options
    So how do I know what is a "nutrient dense" food? Sorry for all these questions...I really am new to eating right.
  • hakes87
    Options
    I am surprised you say to cut out the nuts because what I keep hearing says that almonds are good for you. And the same with the cheese...is there a cheese with lower calories? I thought that was pretty good too. Thank you for the advice and help...I really am grateful for all the help I can get but this is what is so confusing...one says one thing and another says another so it really does make your head spin. I really want to do this...I am not a quitter but I have watched my mother (and now my sister) fight their weight all her life yo-yo dieting and I refuse to do that. I know it takes some getting used to but how to do you fight through the different opinions and know what's right? Thank you for listening and giving any help you can to this struggling human being.
  • Luuvy
    Options
    I just googled no starchy vegetables and this is what came up The following is a list of common non-starchy vegetables:

Amaranth or Chinese spinach
    Artichoke
    Artichoke hearts
    Asparagus
    Baby corn
    Bamboo shoots
    Beans (green, wax, Italian)
    Bean sprouts
    Beets

Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts
    Cabbage (green, bok choy, Chinese)
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Chayote
    Coleslaw (packaged, no dressing)
    Cucumber
    Daikon
    Eggplant
    Greens (collard, kale, mustard, turnip)
    Hearts of palm
    Jicama
    Kohlrabi
    Leeks
    Mushrooms
    Okra
    Onions
    Pea pods
    Peppers
    Radishes
    Rutabaga
    Salad greens (chicory, endive, escarole, lettuce, romaine, spinach, arugula, radicchio, watercress)
    Sprouts
    Squash (cushaw, summer, crookneck, spaghetti, zucchini)
    Sugar snap peas
    Swiss chard
    Tomato
    Turnips
    Water chestnuts
    Yard-long beans
  • Luuvy
    Options
    It takes a lot of time and work to figure out what is best for you. You have to make healthier food choices. I started by looking up everything I was going to eat and if it was high in calories or fat I would not eat it, I would find something better. Here is an example...instead of eating fried foods I would opt for something grilled with lots of veggies. There are foods that are good for you that are high in calories so you have to be careful and log everything as you go and try to avoid large amounts of high calorie foods. Research is key, you have to do your research but whatever you do don't quit, keep going and you will get where you want to be. Good luck:-)
  • hakes87
    Options
    I just googled no starchy vegetables and this is what came up The following is a list of common non-starchy vegetables:

Amaranth or Chinese spinach
    Artichoke
    Artichoke hearts
    Asparagus
    Baby corn
    Bamboo shoots
    Beans (green, wax, Italian)
    Bean sprouts
    Beets

Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts
    Cabbage (green, bok choy, Chinese)
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Chayote
    Coleslaw (packaged, no dressing)
    Cucumber
    Daikon
    Eggplant
    Greens (collard, kale, mustard, turnip)
    Hearts of palm
    Jicama
    Kohlrabi
    Leeks
    Mushrooms
    Okra
    Onions
    Pea pods
    Peppers
    Radishes
    Rutabaga
    Salad greens (chicory, endive, escarole, lettuce, romaine, spinach, arugula, radicchio, watercress)
    Sprouts
    Squash (cushaw, summer, crookneck, spaghetti, zucchini)
    Sugar snap peas
    Swiss chard
    Tomato
    Turnips
    Water chestnuts
    Yard-long beans

THANKS!!!!!!!
  • hakes87
    Options
    It takes a lot of time and work to figure out what is best for you. You have to make healthier food choices. I started by looking up everything I was going to eat and if it was high in calories or fat I would not eat it, I would find something better. Here is an example...instead of eating fried foods I would opt for something grilled with lots of veggies. There are foods that are good for you that are high in calories so you have to be careful and log everything as you go and try to avoid large amounts of high calorie foods. Research is key, you have to do your research but whatever you do don't quit, keep going and you will get where you want to be. Good luck:-)

Could you give me an example of one food that is good for you but is high in calories, please....and if I am understanding you correctly it's ok to eat them but just in smaller portions. Again thank you for helping me work through this...I will definitely be doing my own research but help from people who have already done some of the leg work is tremendously appreciated as well. I hope I can share what I learn with someone someday.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Good for you, higher in calories. Avacodo, Nuts, Cheese, Greek Yogurt (not high calorie, but has good protein).