weighing your food

Options
I'm new to weighing food, so this may be a dumb question but, are u supposed to go by precooked weight for meats or after you cook it? I have been doing both and going by the precooked weight but I have found that it generally loses between a half ounce and an ounce and when you are only alloted 3 ounces per serving, that's a lot! If anybody has any suggestions that would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I always weigh meat after it has been cooked.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I weigh it after as as well.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm the dumb one, but I always weigh it before. As far as I know, the weight and nutritional information on something like a hamburger, for example, is based on the uncooked portion.
  • Dtrmnd1
    Dtrmnd1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Funny I weigh turkey burgers before they are cooked but everything else after its cooked.
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    I think it is supposed to be weighed before it is cooked, but that makes it hard for things that you have to carve after it is cooked. Like a whole roasted chicken, brisket, roast, and tenderloin.
  • Annista
    Annista Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Good question!!! I always weigh before I cook it. Never thought about a roast though, I always look at how many servings it has and cut accordingly so I guess in a way that is weighing before also.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you log!

You can log chicken raw, or chicken cooked so weigh it whenever you want and log it accordingly!

I always weigh before, but that is becasue it is easier as I usually cook it in a stir fry etc.
  • jcaplinger
    Options
    What I have learned you go by cooked weight. Let me ask you how do you plan your meals to get all the protien,carbs etc in?
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options

The food pyramid looks at the rice as cooked. See: http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/grains_counts_table.html

This could get really confusing and really throw people off.

If I start gaining weight, I'll know I got it wrong. :-p
  • countindowntothin
    countindowntothin Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    What I have learned you go by cooked weight. Let me ask you how do you plan your meals to get all the protien,carbs etc in?

My doctor has put me on a diet and I am supposed to eat 500-600 calories of meat a day. And the other 600-700 calories are veggies. no carbs, or dairy, for now. So I just want to make sure I am following the plan like I am supposed to be so I can get the full benefits from it!
  • hammod
    hammod Posts: 23
    Options
    I never weigh my food. I go by visual measurement. You know the old "a piece of meat should be the size of a deck of cards" etc...I've gotten pretty good with my eye over the years too. If I were to weigh my food though I would probably weigh it before I cooked it, but I know you can log it either raw or cooked so i suppose it depends on how you log it. :)