Any Pilates fans out there?

Options
I'm planning on starting to do Pilates at home with the aid of a DVD, just simple basic beginners stuff, to help build up muscle tone and core strength. I just wondered if there were any pilates fans here on MFP and what benefits you've seen from it?

Replies

• pattyg02
    pattyg02 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started to do Pilate and Yoga DVD's about 2 months ago and I have to say I love how lean my upper arms look from it. I say it is a definite must. Don't worry if you can't do everything that the girls in the video can do because it is so hard but such a great workout.
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy them but haven't had time lately to keep up with it. Since I wont be doing a bike ride tomorrow I think I'll try out one of my DVD's again. Thanks for inspiring me! (^_^)! I was doing this same video for about a month and I could definitely feel myself getting stronger. After a few weeks I could do the video completely without taking breaks. It's definitely a great workout, I sweat more doing that then anything else I've done!
  • pickleanne
    Options
    I just started this whole diet thingy last Tuesday, and I tried my very first pilates. I told my boyfriend 15 minutes into it, "This is LAME! I'm not sweating, or breathing heavy or anything! I don't feel like I'm getting a workout at all!" He just laughed at me. I did the whole 25 minute workout, and felt fine. The next evening, my abs, pecs, arms and *kitten* were SORE! It's a great work out! I'm 276 lbs, and diabetic with neuropathy in my feet so weight bearing excercises are a big no-no. Pilates was recommended by my doctor. I'm now a believer! I hope you try it, and don't give up when you get all sore and achy from working those poor un-used muscles! Good Luck! :)
  • squishyfishy
    Options
    Pilates is great it really works, you so don't feel it at the time but OMG the next day! My gym only does 1 class now but they do Body Balance which is Thai Chi, Yoga and Pilates combined and its definately made a difference to my shape and bendiness!
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just started doing pilates. I usually do a lot of cardio and find weight training really, really dull. I like pilates a lot because I get some nice toning benefits without having to always rely on weights, and I think it's a nice mentally restful class after doing high-intensity stuff like spinning.

I really want to try the pilates apparatus classes, but they're so pricey! Just mat for now, I guess....