Options
Is that bad?

Replies

• megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The way to work out your Maximum Heart Rate is:

220 - your age = Max Heart Rate...

To go over your Max HR is not bad... just try not to keep it over for long... if it goes over and your not feeling good about it then slow down a bit....
  • no I dont think so I get mine to that everytime I work out It just does not stay at 180 I stay around 155-175
  • lawrahmck
    Options
    Your max heart rate is 192 according to your age, so that's fine. Just don't stay that high too long as mentioned already!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

To go over your Max HR is not bad... just try not to keep it over for long... if it goes over and your not feeling good about it then slow down a bit....

Actually you can't go over your max heart rate. That's why it's called your maximum!!
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Actually you can't go over your max heart rate. That's why it's called your maximum!!

Just remember that 220 - Age is only an approximation worked out on averages. My max by that scale is 188, but I have often peaked at 195.
    Unless you feal faint or dizzy etc then there is no problem.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options

Just remember that 220 - Age is only an approximation worked out on averages. My max by that scale is 188, but I have often peaked at 195.
    Unless you feal faint or dizzy etc then there is no problem.

I agree... I have been over my Maximum Heart rate....

Verticalchaos..... its actually a "recommended" max heart rate... it doesnt mean your heart cant go over it... hahaha =)
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If you have a doctor-done maxium stress test - the treadmill-done thing, that IS your maximum heart rate. What you estimate with the 220 minus your age is the approximation. But if you have had the medically supervised test done, they DO determine your absolute maximum heart rate.
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It is only bad if you start felling light headed and dizzy cause your heart is pumping faster than it supposed to and actually supplies les blood to to bdy cause it is not as effective. Us EMT's call this SVT(super ventricular tachycardia)
  • kathleenpenrod
    kathleenpenrod Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It is only bad if you start felling light headed and dizzy cause your heart is pumping faster than it supposed to and actually supplies les blood to to bdy cause it is not as effective. Us EMT's call this SVT(super ventricular tachycardia)

I agree. No need to tiff about details ladies...it is not impossible to go above your max heart rate. it's probably not a good idea if you suffer from ailments or haven't been active in a while. nonetheless, your body is your temple and you govern it! if it feels like you're gonna faint - slow down. runners often hit that max heart rate and find a "running streak" because of it - the body goes into survival mode...whole other post discussion...

listen to your body and be rewarded!
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    I regularly top 180 during my PT sessions, usually maxing 182 - 185 without any ill effect. When I'm running I generally stay in the 170's unless it's up a hill :bigsmile: So I don't think you have anything to worry about.

My theoretical HR max is 188 but my PT and I both agree it's probably actually more likely 195.