Should I just carry on doing my own thing (calories)?

Options
A lil help from those who have figured this out would be much appreciated!

I set my calorie goal on MFP to 1600 and have been able to lose 2lbs/week when I get a decent amount of exercise in. There have been weeks when I haven't worked out as much and at times gone over my calorie goal, but have stayed the same weight (rather than put weight on). I feel this is working for me right now.

Having read up on the method of calculating calories using your BMR/TDEE, I plugged my stats in to a few online calculators. They all seem to suggest that I need to eat in the region of 1900-2000 calories per day. That seems really high to me! (at least 2100 extra calories per week?!?!).

Should I just ignore this and carry on with the 1600 for now? I'm aware that I may need to up my calories if I reach a plateau.

Info: 24 years old, 5'10'', 200lb, currently working out a minimum of 3 days per week (aiming for 5-6 days), combo of cardio and strength training

Replies

• honeyvee89
    honeyvee89 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Certainly not an expert, but if you're losing 2 lbs a week, I wouldn't mess with it. Like you said, if you hit a plateau you'll have play with it. Just my opinion. :)
  • inshapeeasy
    Options
    If you are trying to loose weight, you need to be eating weight loss foods. Low sodium, low fat, always free of additives and preservatives.

Here is a link for you to check out with many different foods

http://www.isefitness.com/eating-clean-healthy--meals
  • t1954
    t1954 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with success
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    2ibs weekly at 200ibs ... How much do you want to weigh ?
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Did you try the calculator on MFP? Are you being HONEST with your activity level?
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If it's working and your health is good, don't mess with it! What your eating is not an unhealthy level in my opinion.
  • ivormorgan
    Options
    Other than the fact you are a girl, we are in much the same situation - 210 pounds, 5'11", exercising 5 times per week (cardio, plyo and cycling), losing 2 to 2.5 pounds a week and eating net 1400 calories.

I don't know which calculators you used but were they giving you net calories (food cals eaten less exercise cals burned)?